NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Beatsonic Android Auto Issue and any recommendations of other modules related

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-20, 06:19 PM
LHLXD
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy Beatsonic Android Auto Issue and any recommendations of other modules related

Hi, I was wondering if anybody that has an NX that installed the Beatsonic unit have an issue with making calls? I assume other vehicles may have a problem but I would like to hear from the community if there are any fixes that resolves this kind of issues.
There are a couple of problems I have after I installed the unit (Mind you that I have a 2016 with nav so no standard andoid auto and apple carplay for that year).
1 - When I make a phone call while I am playing a song or not, It makes a very extremely loud distorted noise as a tone pulse waiting for the other party to pick up. It disappears right after they pick up. Very unpleasant especially while you are driving on the road.
2 - When the other party picks up and when I engage in a conversation, The other party keep telling me that they can hear an echo of themselves repeating on their end. On my end, I do not hear any echo.
3 - After the call ends, my music resumes but no audio output. I see my music application elapse time still counting down, however no audio is heard even after I skip tracks. only way to fix this is unplugging and plugging back the phone into the usb.

I have been on facebook messenger countless times with Beatsonic and explaining them the issue back and forth and I've been showing them video clips of the issues I have been facing. They gave me so tips on resolving the issue, however, none of those fixes actually worked. They told me that other customers have been experiencing these issues too, but a small margin and they fiddled with the setting until it worked. Beatsonic asked what settings they used, they dont know because they just played with whatever settings and forgot what settings they used to make it work. I have been playing with both bluetooths of the car and NV17, activating and deactivating, uninstalled and reinstalled android auto, playing with android setting for bluetooth and permissions, going to android auto setting playing with those settings as well and also played with the settings withing the NV17 screen when I pressed the small button on the control unit. None of the settings I have played work. Lastly, They said that If all the fiddling does not work, they are willing to send me an RMA to return the product. The thing is that I bought this thinking that I disassemble the dash one and installing the unit and assembling it back and forget about it. I don't want to disassemble it again just to take everything apart and send it back. It is very inconvenient. At one point they also sent me an external mic saying that this should help with the echoing since the factory mic is communicating with other systems. Plugged it in, played with settings again, and no cigar. So rather than just giving up, I would like to turn to you guys if you have a Beatsonic sytem using android auto tell me what sucessful settings you use to solve this issue. If not, I might have to turn elsewhere and look for another product that can solve the issue plus have every thing that beatsonic advertises.

If not, if you do have any other suggestions on other units to use please post them here. I am currently looking at Lexion's android auto and apple carplay but dont know how reliable they are and what the install process is and if I still have to install a GPS module and microphone separately rather than retaining its own mic and gps. I have yet to see anyone install it on an 2016 in yet but Ive seen the video they provided for the 2018 - 2020 but they are talking chinese which I dont know jack they are talking about. 799 - 1100 dollars is a steep price and I need to know what I am getting. Ive seen other people install it on other cars but not much info has presented except showing boot times and etc.
Old 07-30-20, 07:19 PM
wiltony
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As for #3, upon initiation of a call, the phone is switching audio to BT, and because your phone is paired to your car as both bluetooth phone and bluetooth audio, it is trying to resume playback through BT audio. But since the car's audio source selection is Aux, you can't hear it. To fix this, disable the BT audio connection between the car and the phone, ensuring you only have a BT phone connection, not both. This will ensure the phone always attempts to send audio to the car through AA.

I found a setting in my car's BT phone pairing settings that says "initiate audio connection from: <car>/<device>". I change that to device, and it fixed the problem for me. Otherwise you have to remove your phone from BT entirely, then re-pair only the phone side, and not the audio side.
Old 07-31-20, 06:51 AM
Onekoolguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check this out!

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...n-upgrade.html
Old 07-31-20, 07:00 AM
LHLXD
Driver

Originally Posted by Onekoolguy
Hi, already had the grom before but didnt like it much. Thanks for the recommendation though.
The following 2 users liked this post by LHLXD:
Onekoolguy (07-31-20), TXLexusNX (07-31-23)
Old 08-19-20, 12:16 PM
Onekoolguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, I found a shop in Canada that sell a similar infotainment to Lexion(the spec is even better than Lexion) and it's on sale now. Of course they speak English. Hope it helps.

https://4x4shop.ca/product/2014-2017...sb-multimedia/

Old 08-20-20, 09:43 AM
LHLXD
Driver

Originally Posted by Onekoolguy
Hi, I found a shop in Canada that sell a similar infotainment to Lexion(the spec is even better than Lexion) and it's on sale now. Of course they speak English. Hope it helps.

https://4x4shop.ca/product/2014-2017...sb-multimedia/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqc9uZVb2Xk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Hi Onekoolguy,

Thanks for the heads up on this head unit. Ive checked before and was comparing the specifications with the current Lexion Head unit that had to offer. I do notice that pros of the 4x4.ca is that it runs android 9.0 instead of 8 for the Lexion Head unit. GPU of the 4x4.ca seems less than it is applied to as it runs Mali T860 vs.the one which the Lexion has a Mali T-864. Both Head units have 64Gb or storage and 4GB of ram. Both have different CPU that are different and unfortunately i do know how fast these two compare as well as the startup time. It will be great if someone can compare it side by side with startup screen, features, etc.

Last edited by LHLXD; 08-20-20 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Onekoolguy (08-20-20)
Old 08-20-20, 02:06 PM
End1ess
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I see some Android 10 popping up in aliexpress. FYI Android 10 support split screen you can run 2 apps at the same time.
Old 08-20-20, 02:15 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

I just went with the BeatSonic screen mirroring. I chose it over the Android Auto unit to avoid any issues and keep the OEM interface but also display the stable OS from my Android on the main screen. Since it's only using the AV input on the oem OS, phone calls or the reverse cam are perfectly switched by the factory system.

I use voice commands for almost everything I need to do on the phone but for manipulating maps or anything else that would need me to touch the phone, I hooked up a small bluetooth mouse to my phone. Its conveniently in the top tray of the glovebox.
Old 08-20-20, 03:17 PM
LHLXD
Driver

Originally Posted by BMGS
I just went with the BeatSonic screen mirroring. I chose it over the Android Auto unit to avoid any issues and keep the OEM interface but also display the stable OS from my Android on the main screen. Since it's only using the AV input on the oem OS, phone calls or the reverse cam are perfectly switched by the factory system.

I use voice commands for almost everything I need to do on the phone but for manipulating maps or anything else that would need me to touch the phone, I hooked up a small bluetooth mouse to my phone. Its conveniently in the top tray of the glovebox.
I too am currently running with Beatsonics interface for apple carplay and android auto and not the phone mirroring option. Only thing That I have trouble is just the call. Beatsonic has no solution as of now to resolve the call issue. They told me that it has to do with the phone software/phone firmware that is preventing the android auto from seamlessly working together. That's why I want to see if there are other alternatives that can practically check all the boxes of Beatsonics, if not more.

These other boxes and interfaces available also are able to revert back to stock lexus screen if you press and hold the menu for two seconds I believe. Plus side is an option to go for a larger screen and wireless carplay and android auto instead of wired. Mine is currently wired. The idea of setting it and forgetting it is a plus as I do not have to always plugging the wire to the phone when I am on the go (decreasing the chance of wearing the connectors between the phone and wire).
Old 08-20-20, 04:19 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by LHLXD
I too am currently running with Beatsonics interface for apple carplay and android auto and not the phone mirroring option. Only thing That I have trouble is just the call. Beatsonic has no solution as of now to resolve the call issue. They told me that it has to do with the phone software/phone firmware that is preventing the android auto from seamlessly working together. That's why I want to see if there are other alternatives that can practically check all the boxes of Beatsonics, if not more.

These other boxes and interfaces available also are able to revert back to stock lexus screen if you press and hold the menu for two seconds I believe. Plus side is an option to go for a larger screen and wireless carplay and android auto instead of wired. Mine is currently wired. The idea of setting it and forgetting it is a plus as I do not have to always plugging the wire to the phone when I am on the go (decreasing the chance of wearing the connectors between the phone and wire).
Yeah everything has its pros and cons. I like the wireless connection and no other phone or connection issues. I had a standalone Android unit like the Grom but I now prefer having one set of apps on my phone, as some of the apps I like to use dont always work so great on the vehicle android units vs. the phone. With screen mirroring I know that if if works on the phone, its working in the car.
Old 08-20-20, 05:18 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Hi, already had the grom before but didnt like it much. Thanks for the recommendation though.
Hi, did you have the VL or the VL2? What did you not like about it?

I chose to go with the VL2 given their excellent track record with software updates, based on feedback in the GS forums. GROM support also advised me that wireless Android Auto is on its way via update.

I was choosing between GROM, BeatSonic, and Lexion. I found the BeatSonic wiring and functions a little complicated and received a less than stellar response to my technical questions from Lexion. That left me with just GROM as the viable option.
Old 08-20-20, 10:49 PM
LHLXD
Driver

Originally Posted by chezgk
Hi, did you have the VL or the VL2? What did you not like about it?

I chose to go with the VL2 given their excellent track record with software updates, based on feedback in the GS forums. GROM support also advised me that wireless Android Auto is on its way via update.

I was choosing between GROM, BeatSonic, and Lexion. I found the BeatSonic wiring and functions a little complicated and received a less than stellar response to my technical questions from Lexion. That left me with just GROM as the viable option.
Beatsonic wasnt quite hard to wire. I have no experience in taking my center console and panels off however I risked it and installed it myself. They include the manual and used Beatsonic's youtube video as a reference. The video is by no means the correct step by step, but more so of a guide on where to start and what to wire, and it has helped me a lot. I did see your response to Lexion on their vendors category and I do not like their attitude towards a potential buyer. I have also talked with them on whatsapp as they have suggested on the day the item was priced 700 dollars, Didn't want to text them during the day or afternoon as I believe the company is out based in Korea so I have decided to text them at night. Immediately they have changed their pricing to 900 that same day. They didn't even tell you when the promotion ends. If they said its due to the Covid-19, I understand why bother creating a post in the first place during the pandemic with the price starting 700 in the first place? But that is not the reason why I am upset about them, I asked in comparison to beatsonic's version and I had got a similar response as you have on the board. I think it is an unprofessional way of handling a potential customer who wanted more information before committing to buy the product. BeatSonic and GromAudio has more than enough videos to make a purchase decision whereas the Lexion doesnt quite live up to that. If the sales manager would have changed his tone, he would have gained a customer like me.

GromAudio has made great products, Have used their AUX kit for my 2004 TSX and did wonders until I got my NX.
Old 09-04-20, 08:03 PM
stayfit12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stay away from this guys(4x4shop).. i bought for my lexus nx few weeks ago and been working with to resolve number of issues.. horrible service and they say i didnt pay for there tech service so i have to communicate via emails and takes 2 days to get response and that too half baked and repeated information...
list of issues:
sim card doesnt work( doesnt recieve signal).. i had to use this coz andriod phone connected to this device ...crashes the device)
gps is hit or miss
devices crashes while driving...
Old 09-04-20, 09:12 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Beatsonic wasnt quite hard to wire. I have no experience in taking my center console and panels off however I risked it and installed it myself. They include the manual and used Beatsonic's youtube video as a reference. The video is by no means the correct step by step, but more so of a guide on where to start and what to wire, and it has helped me a lot. I did see your response to Lexion on their vendors category and I do not like their attitude towards a potential buyer. I have also talked with them on whatsapp as they have suggested on the day the item was priced 700 dollars, Didn't want to text them during the day or afternoon as I believe the company is out based in Korea so I have decided to text them at night. Immediately they have changed their pricing to 900 that same day. They didn't even tell you when the promotion ends. If they said its due to the Covid-19, I understand why bother creating a post in the first place during the pandemic with the price starting 700 in the first place? But that is not the reason why I am upset about them, I asked in comparison to beatsonic's version and I had got a similar response as you have on the board. I think it is an unprofessional way of handling a potential customer who wanted more information before committing to buy the product. BeatSonic and GromAudio has more than enough videos to make a purchase decision whereas the Lexion doesnt quite live up to that. If the sales manager would have changed his tone, he would have gained a customer like me.

GromAudio has made great products, Have used their AUX kit for my 2004 TSX and did wonders until I got my NX.
Finally received and installed the Grom VL2 in my NX. I believe this model has superior processing power and RAM over the original VLine. Other than a screen flicker issue on the Factory UI ONLY, the unit has been almost perfect so far. I was pleasantly surprised by the audio quality, which was something I didn't have high hopes for.

Grom's customer service has been responsive so far, promptly sending out a new video cable to fix the screen flicker with no questions asked. This is indeed quite a contrast from the poor customer service experienced with the other vendor before one even makes a purchase.
The following users liked this post:
TXLexusNX (07-31-23)