NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

F sport - AWD or FWD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 12:43 PM
bisley13
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default F sport - AWD or FWD?

I'm considering the F Sport model but the only vehicles (colors/options) I like in local inventories shows FWD models right now. Should I wait for an AWD? Or take advantage of the golden event right now and get the FWD? I'm in no rush. Does it make that much of a difference? I'm not a very aggressive driver...I just like the style of the F sport.
Old 08-02-20, 02:59 AM
tel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWD is compromised in my opinion whereas the 4x4 option is a true off-roader in the Chelsea tractor class.
F-Sport is the stylish option by far & if you can get the AVS option the ride/handling combo is excellent.
Tel
The following users liked this post:
bisley13 (08-03-20)
Old 08-02-20, 10:58 AM
brook41
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe get a test drive and compare.
Old 08-02-20, 06:17 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

I see you are in CA. Unless you see very harsh weather like I do or travel to areas with harsh weather, FWD works well. Even the AWD system is FWD biased. I rarely notice the rears kick on, but when it does, I need it. Been through a few snow storms with my NX and wouldn't want to go back to my Camry.
bisley13 (08-03-20)
Old 08-03-20, 08:24 AM
bisley13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brook41
Maybe get a test drive and compare.
Unable to compare because there are no AWDs right now.
Old 08-03-20, 08:25 AM
bisley13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tel
FWD is compromised in my opinion whereas the 4x4 option is a true off-roader in the Chelsea tractor class.
F-Sport is the stylish option by far & if you can get the AVS option the ride/handling combo is excellent.
Tel
Thanks...I don't think I'll ever be doing any off-roading. Yeah, the F Sport is very stylish.
Old 08-03-20, 08:27 AM
bisley13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
I see you are in CA. Unless you see very harsh weather like I do or travel to areas with harsh weather, FWD works well. Even the AWD system is FWD biased. I rarely notice the rears kick on, but when it does, I need it. Been through a few snow storms with my NX and wouldn't want to go back to my Camry.
Yeah, I only see rain where I am at...and I rarely ever go to the mountains in the winter. So, I guess FWD should be sufficient. Thanks!
Old 08-03-20, 03:31 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by bisley13
Yeah, I only see rain where I am at...and I rarely ever go to the mountains in the winter. So, I guess FWD should be sufficient. Thanks!
It is my understanding that these are just like the RX in the sense that they are not full-time AWD. They are part-time AWD systems. The rears don’t even engage unless the front wheels start to slip. Now this understanding is based on my years of owning an RX and I am assuming Lexus designed the NX the same way. Perhaps someone else on this forum has specific knowledge to verify my assumption? Anyway, based on my understanding, they are all front wheel drive most of the time for fuel economy reasons. If you don’t drive in situations that need extra traction, there may not be much value to purchasing an AWD beyond perhaps easier resale.
The following 2 users liked this post by TechNut:
bisley13 (08-03-20), Lexuswiz (08-03-20)
Old 08-03-20, 03:56 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by TechNut
It is my understanding that these are just like the RX in the sense that they are not full-time AWD. They are part-time AWD systems. The rears don’t even engage unless the front wheels start to slip. Now this understanding is based on my years of owning an RX and I am assuming Lexus designed the NX the same way. Perhaps someone else on this forum has specific knowledge to verify my assumption? Anyway, based on my understanding, they are all front wheel drive most of the time for fuel economy reasons. If you don’t drive in situations that need extra traction, there may not be much value to purchasing an AWD beyond perhaps easier resale.
Correct, it is FWD biased and rears are only engaged under slip or torque demand. Also correct, while it's a newer generation, same transmission series as my 2nd Gen RX. U series. Very glad the 2.0L turbo NX's doesn't have a CVT, those are GARBAGE.
Old 08-04-20, 10:01 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Very glad the 2.0L turbo NX's doesn't have a CVT, those are GARBAGE.
Respectfully disagree. I think it all depends on the owner's needs. We like the CVT just fine in the five hybrids we have owned. It is much smoother than our RX 350 with a six speed transmission, and we cannot tell any difference in power delivery based on our driving style/requirements. So for my wife and myself, it is a net win. I can understand where those that require spirited driving may not favor a CVT, but for many of us they work just fine and result in both smoother power delivery and improved fuel economy. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by TechNut; 08-04-20 at 05:04 PM.
Lexuswiz (08-04-20)
Old 08-04-20, 04:33 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by TechNut
Respectfully disagree. I think it all depends on the owner's needs. We like the CVT just fine in the five hybrids we have owned. It is much smoother than our RX 350 with a six speed transmission, and we cannot tell any difference in power deliver based on our driving style/requirements. So for my wife and myself, it is a net win. I can understand where those that require spirited driving may not favor a CVT, but for many of us they work just fine and result in both smoother power delivery and improved fuel economy. Just my humble opinion.
While I like a spicy post here and there lol, you are absolutely right, it's all on the user's needs. Unfortunately does not fit mine. On top of test driving a few Lexus hybrids, my Scion iM is CVT. Extremely underwhelming and not sure on durability just yet. Very few shops even touch CVT by me. Maybe one day I'll like them, but by then we'll probably be able teleport. Just my useless 2 cents.
Old 05-05-24, 12:30 PM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Oops! I may have replied in the wrong thread - too late to change it!

I just went through making exactly this decision. My two finalists were RC350 FSport AWD and Acura TLX Type S.
Lotsa power in the Turbo V6 Acura, nice interior, nice ride and handling; heavier than the RC, and I
could feel this weight in the twisties. The power delivery is quite brutal because of the Turbo. The top 3 gears are
actually unusable except in highway cruising. I classed it as "exciting and refined". I believe its a Grand Tourer first,
and Sports Car second.
The RC is lighter and thus more nimble, quieter, power delivery is very smooth. Rides the bumps with aplomb.
Dated interior, but superb quality fit and finish. IMO Lexus are the best in the business. Shocking, but I like the Nuluxe
better than Leather!! I classed the RC as "sublime". I believe its equally a Sports Car and a Grand Tourer.
My driving enjoyment comes from hairpins and twisties, and long highway cruises to get to those types of roads! If you
know the "Tail of the Dragon", then you know the kind of drives I like. I believe I can drive the RC faster thru those curves than the heavier TLX.
Both are excellent highway cruisers.
I chose the RC.

Last edited by RA051724; 05-05-24 at 12:33 PM.