NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dash Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-20, 06:33 AM
Neverlost
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dash Rattle

On our 2017 NX ( 7,000 miles) we have a dash rattle on the right side. We took it to the dealer and they fixed it: for a week. I saw folks talking about speakers as possible cause. Does anyone have ideas? A car with the reputation of Lexus should not have these issues or this horrible info-tainment system. God it sucks.
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (12-12-20)
Old 11-01-20, 03:14 PM
jdorio
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neverlost
On our 2017 NX ( 7,000 miles) we have a dash rattle on the right side. We took it to the dealer and they fixed it: for a week. I saw folks talking about speakers as possible cause. Does anyone have ideas? A car with the reputation of Lexus should not have these issues or this horrible info-tainment system. God it sucks.
We have a 2020 NX300 with a dash rattle on the right side also that started around 5k miles. The car was undrivable and disappointing as it would rattle every time we drove on the bad roads in NY. After bringing it in several times, no one at Lexus could or cared to try and fix it. After some troubleshooting, we determined that rattle was the right front speaker grille either rubbing on the windshield or vibrating when the car hit bumps. We put a piece of foam between the grill and the windshield and now there is no more rattle. We can now drive the car again and it's quiet.
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (12-12-20)
Old 11-02-20, 10:22 AM
Neverlost
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Our car ended up in the dealer for 5 days. They took the entire dash, consol and all the doors off. They put sound material everywhere. The bill for $4,000 and was zero out of pocket to us! Great job Wylde Lexus of Sarasota. They used two master mechanics and now the car is like a vault. Possible overkill but it worked.
Old 12-05-20, 05:05 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I had several rattles - one which was coming from the right front speaker. I used some friction tape (like that you would use to wrap a baseball bat) to the tabs. I've also noticed that the passenger vanity mirror can be a source of rattles unless it's tight against the visor. My former vehicle, a 2016 RAV4 was quieter for the most part.
Old 12-12-20, 09:35 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jdorio
We have a 2020 NX300 with a dash rattle on the right side also that started around 5k miles. The car was undrivable and disappointing as it would rattle every time we drove on the bad roads in NY. After bringing it in several times, no one at Lexus could or cared to try and fix it. After some troubleshooting, we determined that rattle was the right front speaker grille either rubbing on the windshield or vibrating when the car hit bumps. We put a piece of foam between the grill and the windshield and now there is no more rattle. We can now drive the car again and it's quiet.
This would be my EXACT post if you hadn't have said it first, lol.
2020 NX f sport. Horrible dash rattle. Dealership trip 3 times, they never can seen to find nor fix the issue. Quite clear it's the drivers side front dash speaker or grill. Super annoying.

V.
Old 10-14-21, 06:21 PM
gordini
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to see i'm not crazy... and am not the only one hearing this rattle...
they have reinforced the right passenger speaker with felt / insulation twice now (out of 3 visits)...
despite their claim they didn't hear it on their road test... it still rattles... has me second guessing whether that speaker is even the source... ?rear view mirror.
feel guilty bringing it back to them... but as they put it... they don't see this often given their "reputation"...
Old 10-15-21, 10:44 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Now that my car is 5 years old, I get the rattle when sun beams the center vent / screen area (it started around 3-4 year mark). The heat from the sun will cause the plastics to creak. Good thing that it kind of stops when the weather is cool/cold. This is an issue covered in the FAQ thread by one of the early NX adopters.

Old 10-18-21, 11:12 AM
jdorio
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gordini
glad to see i'm not crazy... and am not the only one hearing this rattle...
they have reinforced the right passenger speaker with felt / insulation twice now (out of 3 visits)...
despite their claim they didn't hear it on their road test... it still rattles... has me second guessing whether that speaker is even the source... ?rear view mirror.
feel guilty bringing it back to them... but as they put it... they don't see this often given their "reputation"...
We eventually gave up. I shot videos and showed them to the dealer service department and of course, they "didn't hear it." After one visit, when we got the car back, the radio was turned up so loud, on a station that we don't listen to and then they claimed they "couldn't reproduce." So, they had no intention to find the issue, possibly take apart the dash or try to fix it. Unfortunately, we don't "Experience Amazing" with the Lexus dealer we bought the car from and since it's a leased vehicle, we are counting down the months until we can return it and be free of it. Ultimately, I used 1/2" pipe insulation wedged between the right speaker grill and the windshield and the noise was eliminated.
Old 10-19-21, 03:00 PM
gordini
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4th time's the charm... hopefully...
because 3 prior visits and lots of felt / insulation to the dash passenger side speaker didn't cut it.
so they finally decided to open up the dash and found a loose bracket inside the "heater box air intake"... don't ask me what that is...
so that bracket was insulated.
helped that the head tech was the one who happened to hear the rattle while on a ride-along with me...
time will tell.