Lease and bought the unit after end of lease

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-20, 08:54 AM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lease and bought the unit after end of lease

Has anyone here done this?
I am currently leasing an NX but lease ends the end of April 2021. My wife is interested in buying it but there is a timing issue as the lease of her current car does not end until August 2021. What would be the best decision?
1) Extend my lease for 4 months to coincide with the expiration of hers
2) End her lease 4 months earlier, perhaps paying for the remainder of the lease (her monthly lease is cheaper than mine). She currently drives a different brand of SUV.
3) Is it even a good idea to buy my NX. If so, is the residual value pretty much the selling price?
4) Any other option you can think of?

Thanks, guys.
Old 10-04-20, 11:10 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 324 Likes on 253 Posts

IMO, purchasing the car after lease would be more expensive at the end. Though maybe you have very low mileage and know the condition of the vehicle. You buyout the vehicle anytime, just pay the $$$$. Probably Lexus will ask for the lease $$$ left and residual value to purchase.
The following users liked this post:
sarhento (10-05-20)
Old 10-04-20, 11:55 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm unable to answer your questions directly regarding cost, but we purchased two of our vehicles at the expiration of their leases, and have always been glad we did.

Why? Because we really enjoyed the vehicles during their lease periods (one was a Lexus RX and the other a Nissan pickup), we knew how well they were maintained and treated, and they both had far fewer miles than anything we could find elsewhere. In other words, we didn't have to take the chance of buying replacement vehicles that had unknown histories...we had peace of mind.

I doubt we really paid more than we otherwise might have by purchasing the vehicles at the end of their leases, but if we did we certainly never regretted it as we drove the Lexus for 11 years and the Nissan for 12 years and experienced zero mechanical problems because we treated them well during the lease period and beyond. In fact, the only problem we had with either vehicle was the red paint fading on the Nissan after living at 5,500 feet in the hot sun of New Mexico after first leasing it on the South Carolina coast in Myrtle Beach.
sarhento (10-05-20)
Old 10-05-20, 04:56 AM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
I'm unable to answer your questions directly regarding cost, but we purchased two of our vehicles at the expiration of their leases, and have always been glad we did.

Why? Because we really enjoyed the vehicles during their lease periods (one was a Lexus RX and the other a Nissan pickup), we knew how well they were maintained and treated, and they both had far fewer miles than anything we could find elsewhere. In other words, we didn't have to take the chance of buying replacement vehicles that had unknown histories...we had peace of mind.

I doubt we really paid more than we otherwise might have by purchasing the vehicles at the end of their leases, but if we did we certainly never regretted it as we drove the Lexus for 11 years and the Nissan for 12 years and experienced zero mechanical problems because we treated them well during the lease period and beyond. In fact, the only problem we had with either vehicle was the red paint fading on the Nissan after living at 5,500 feet in the hot sun of New Mexico after first leasing it on the South Carolina coast in Myrtle Beach.
thank you for for your comprehensive response. I appreciate it very much.
Old 10-05-20, 07:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You need to compare the price of buying the lease vs buying used, most of the time, it should be similar as the profits are build into both price. Usually, the dealer will let you extend the lease at the same monthly terms.
Old 10-07-20, 10:01 AM
claarn
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe you’re in a good position right now with the used market pretty hot. I would not lease again.
If interested in purchasing the NX I would do it. I bet that you’re going to find that your residual is much less than current market value. Utilize sites such as vroom and carvana to see how well off you are. I would venture to guess that you are not going to be able to negotiate off of that residual given current used climate.
you might run the same Avenue with your wife’s vehicle on an early buy and see if you might be able to recoup some cash utilizing same method above (privately or online buy sites)
just my .02
Old 10-07-20, 10:04 AM
luckyJ
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sarhento
I am currently leasing an NX but lease ends the end of April 2021. My wife is interested in buying it but there is a timing issue as the lease of her current car does not end until August 2021. What would be the best decision?
2) End her lease 4 months earlier, perhaps paying for the remainder of the lease (her monthly lease is cheaper than mine). She currently drives a different brand of SUV.
3) Is it even a good idea to buy my NX. If so, is the residual value pretty much the selling price?

Thanks, guys.
Hi, we extended our lease thru Lexus/Toyota financial for 6 months. They were very accommodating. No fees for extending. Good luck.
Old 10-07-20, 12:48 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sarhento

Thanks, guys.
I would have no reservations around buying at the end of a lease. I had planned to do that a number of years ago. I had run the numbers for 1) 20% down payment and monthly payments vs. 2) leasing with no down payment and buying at the end. The total-cost numbers (principle plus interest) for four years were within $1000 of each other. I did decide to turn the car in at the end of the lease since I really didn't want it after experiencing several problems.

In any event, your leased vehicle is probably in as good or better shape than similar ones out there, and you know the maintenance/service history. Even if the residual was higher than the cost a different used vehicle, it would probably be worth staying with the one you have.
Old 10-08-20, 04:39 PM
FLAAV8R
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing not mentioned here is the cost the dealer will charge you for completing the transaction if buying out he lease. Over the past 15 years I had bought three cars at the end of their lease (none of them were Lexus) and at least down here in Florida, the transaction has to be completed by a dealer (not necessarily the one you bought it from) and they will charge you for their time and efforts. The average dealer charge was $900, just for the pleasure of preparing the paperwork, which on average took between 45 minutes and an hour. There were two dealers that insisted that they inspect the car because they were "selling" me a used car and they had to "limit their liability". The average "inspection" fee was $250. I did learn to shop around for a dealer willing to do the transaction, and that in itself saved me a few hundred dollars.

Buyer beware.

websurfer (10-08-20)