NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

ac drain hose clogged??? from spider web

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-20, 04:56 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 157 Likes on 106 Posts

Did you ever flood the windshield and check if the top of the cabin (pollen) filter becomes wet?
If yes, that result implies blockage of the drain tube was NOT the cause of the water intrusion.
Old 11-06-20, 04:15 AM
user 76208230
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will try that i havent yet
Old 07-16-21, 03:11 PM
farah
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spider in pipe

Originally Posted by dgiordano1
i was told last week a spider formed a web in my 2020 nx 300 ac drain hose and flooded inside my car during the rain. also that this cause isnt covered under warranty. the repair there asking for is 6800.00
did any one else suffer this diagnosis from any other dealer. mine was lexus of route 10 in whippany nj. when i wa s told by them your insurance denied there claim to come get my car . and when i picked it up i notice parts in the back seat and front on the floor. missing bolt covers on center console too. i have pictures but cant upload them as of now for some reason

7/13/2021
hi, I i’m going through the same thing right now currently with my Lexus dealer they said that a spider had clogged my pipe and caused water damage so now they wanna replace the carpet and the pipe and they’re looking at a seven to $9000 estimate which I think is a complete joke. When I asked them to just unclog the pipe they said that they can’t they need to replace the whole drain pipe
bunch of theives
The following users liked this post:
Lexypoo25 (08-15-23)
Old 07-25-21, 05:49 AM
user 76208230
Driver School Candidate

you should contact your insurance company you will have to pay your deductible but they should cover it but don't go there for repair. ask them for there approved auto body shop for it. because lexus most likely will send it out anyway to them
Old 07-30-21, 04:44 AM
maeve99
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mold spider

Hi. I am having the same issue. Brought my car in for routine maintenance and mentioned it smelled musty. Lexus told me car is filled with black mold. I never saw it leaking. $8000 in damage and Lexus and insurance both saying it’s not covered. This is a leased car with less than 1 year left. This is criminal.
The following users liked this post:
Thispeg (01-02-24)
Old 07-30-21, 04:58 AM
user 76208230
Driver School Candidate

file complaint against both company's with consumer affairs and better business bureau. also it should be covered through lexus because it is a well known problem and we aren't the only ones this is effecting. also there is the road safety administration because the black mold is definitively a health hazard
Old 07-30-21, 05:18 AM
maeve99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dgiordano1
file complaint against both company's with consumer affairs and better business bureau. also it should be covered through lexus because it is a well known problem and we aren't the only ones this is effecting. also there is the road safety administration because the black mold is definitively a health hazard
I am beyond shocked that so many people have this issue. Spider excuse now seems like total bs. I assumed this would be covered under a lease warranty. I guess this is going to be a battle. They still have my car.
Old 07-30-21, 05:38 AM
user 76208230
Driver School Candidate

yes and its a battle for what they know is a problem. I posted on yelp and google about it and facebook and there are a lot more people like us. lexus should be ashamed of themselves. I told them why didn't they blow out drain tube during service when my car was there with no response. I called them out on it as being a very good money maker that's why there not going to fix this problem
Old 07-30-21, 05:45 AM
maeve99
Driver School Candidate

My car is leased. I get all of my regular maintenance through Lexus and have never missed an appointment or turned down any additional request for service they made. They told me that bc this is an outside influence I must go through insurance and my insurance company is saying this is a maintenance issue but I have never missed a maintenance. So now the insurance company is having a third party come in to examine the vehicle and get their opinion. I tried contacting corporate and it was useless. You have to wait 3 days for a callback and they said a spider is likely not covered under warranty. My dealer also said over the phone that this has happened many times before.... yet not their fault!!
Old 07-30-21, 05:48 AM
maeve99
Driver School Candidate

In the same boat here. What did you end up doing and who had to pay? In my 40 years of life I have never experienced so many troublesome spiders - this is a ridiculous excuse.
Old 07-30-21, 05:58 AM
user 76208230
Driver School Candidate

yes me too!!! happens all the time is what I was told. charging lease's 6000-9000 more dollars on top of everything else is a good money maker for them and they usually send it out to third party to do the work for a 25% the fee there going to charge you.keep on car insurance for healh issue as when car gets flood due to storm or heavy rain. the black mold is no joke. it could really be bad for your health. I hope you get this fixed by lexus or insurance covering it. the government should really investigate how many people they charged for this repair
Old 07-30-21, 06:01 AM
maeve99
Driver School Candidate

Makes me sick to think my asthmatic husband (and sometimes three young kids) have been driving around breathing in black mold.
Old 11-17-21, 04:00 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 157 Likes on 106 Posts

I recently discovered Lexus made it a simple task to check the AC drain hose for obstructions and clean it if required. It can be done in 10 minutes and the only tool required is ordinary household pliers (sometimes called "gas pliers"). The attached photos outline the steps. The best time of year to check the hose for any obstruction is probably just before the air conditioning season begins in your region.

Image 1:
This is the front passenger foot well. There is a removable access panel that extends from the center console under the glove box. Reach under the corner (red arrow) with a finger, and pull toward you until the lower retention clip releases.

Image 2:
Slide your finger toward the top of the panel and pull to release the upper retention clip. Retention clips are highlighted by yellow circles. Once both clips are fully released. slide the panel off in the direction of the yellow arrow and set it aside.

Image 3:
Part of the drain hose will now be clearly visible above the carpet.

Image 4:
Folding back the carpet by hand exposes more of the hose.

Image 5:
Close-up view of the hose where it is attached to the Heater / Air_Conditioner plenum. To detach the hose, first rotate it by grasping with pliers, to loosen the bond. Then pull it off.
If you can blow through the detached end of the hose, it is not obstructed. If not, compressed air should clean out any foreign material. A short metal or plastic tube and some clear vinyl tubing can be fitted to extend the open end to a more convenient point for connecting to a source of compressed air. Even a bicycle tire pump should suffice.

Reverse the steps to re-attach the hose and re-fit the access panel. First engage the tab on the back of the panel into the guide slot, then slide to the right and push in the 2 retainer clips. No tools are required.

The following 3 users liked this post by n0v8or:
End1ess (11-17-21), gompka (11-18-21), mps2220 (12-28-23)
Old 11-18-21, 06:31 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I learned about this problem years ago with my daughters 2011 CT200H which was not driven frequently. Luckily, caught it early so didn't need to replace all the padding, etc. After they did the job, they install a "pesticide" tip in the line to help prevent future occurance.

For those that want cheap insurance, get the tip installed before the problem occurs. I did it in my wifes 2020 NX300. Part was like $10
Here's a snippet from the bulletin:

L-SB-0018-14 Rev2
Some 2007 – 2019 model year Lexus vehicles in particular geographic areas may exhibit a condition where the HVAC evaporator drain hose has become obstructed with an insect nest. An insect repellent drain hose tip (ARINIX® Tip) is available to help minimize future occurrences of this environmental condition. For some models, a new drain hose is required to properly fit the ARINIX® Tip. Follow the procedures in this bulletin for proper handling and installation of this optional service part.

The ARINIX® Tip contains permethrin, a pesticide, as the active ingredient
Old 06-14-22, 06:11 AM
Gatorjacki
1st Gear

Smile

was this from a ac drain or leak windshield?

Quick Reply: ac drain hose clogged??? from spider web