NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Is premium fuel really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-17, 01:52 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

In a forced induction car, 87 will work, but you have considerably more power with premium. Try it in your nx and you will see, its way down in power, especially at highways speeds. I get around this issue by getting my gas at Costco, which makes premium just a tad higher than standard gas at shell. In my is350, the difference is minimal, but i tend to drive a bit more aggressively so response does change ever so slightly. In either case, hard to believe you will do any damage or blow and engine by using a lower grade of fuel. This would cause all sorts of issues and lawsuits when you end up getting lower quality premium gas, or winter premium in the midwest. As someone stated ford does list 2 different power numbers for regular vs premium on their ecoboost engines, and if you dig deeper the ecu on fords actually has separate fuel maps for high octane and low octane fuel.
Old 12-14-17, 03:18 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gompka
In a forced induction car, 87 will work, but you have considerably more power with premium. Try it in your nx and you will see, its way down in power, especially at highways speeds. I get around this issue by getting my gas at Costco, which makes premium just a tad higher than standard gas at shell. In my is350, the difference is minimal, but i tend to drive a bit more aggressively so response does change ever so slightly. In either case, hard to believe you will do any damage or blow and engine by using a lower grade of fuel. This would cause all sorts of issues and lawsuits when you end up getting lower quality premium gas, or winter premium in the midwest. As someone stated ford does list 2 different power numbers for regular vs premium on their ecoboost engines, and if you dig deeper the ecu on fords actually has separate fuel maps for high octane and low octane fuel.
The eco boost F150 I had did not say “premium required” like the NX200T that I own does. It did recommend premium for towing and maximum performance.
Old 12-14-17, 03:29 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
but the manual and the fuel door say premium unleaded fuel ONLY? its one thing if it says recommended. there is some leeway there then at least. but this one says ONLY. so that's what i would suggest you do.

Stick with premium....
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by crankshaft:
GlenK (12-15-17), lexus114 (12-18-17)
Old 12-15-17, 01:57 PM
heffnerlex
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

A great video from an engineer on YouTube explaining "Is premium fuel worth it"

Old 12-16-17, 02:31 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Lexus recommends premium on the NX because that's what's needed to achieve stated MPG and performance.

Using lower grade gas probably won't harm your car but you'll suffer mpg and performance losses.

Has anyone been using 87 for awhile (at least a year) and can tell us their experience?
Old 12-16-17, 06:53 AM
heffnerlex
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
I think Lexus recommends premium on the NX because that's what's needed to achieve stated MPG and performance.

Using lower grade gas probably won't harm your car but you'll suffer mpg and performance losses.

Has anyone been using 87 for awhile (at least a year) and can tell us their experience?
I've heard from other members on this forum that engine vibration can be slightly more noticeable when using 87 octane in the NX. However, I'm not sure if this would actually make a difference and if they are just feeling the normal engine vibration the 2015-17 NXs have (2018s are much improved!)
Old 12-16-17, 09:46 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

I haven’t commented on this thread as I have the hybrid so I don’t have the vibration issue some here have reported. However, I will say the octane definitely made a difference in how smooth a former Audi idled.

I know modern cars compensate for the different octanes but do they run smoother if they don’t have to compensate? Again, the hybrid doesn’t recommend premium so I am just curious and not trying to express an opinion or set off a fresh debate. Is it reasonable to assume the manufacturer’s recommendation represents the conditions the car was tuned for and likely will yield the best results? Just pondering...
Old 12-18-17, 10:39 PM
TitanCi
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, sorry, say what you will, but come on, if you can afford this car, what's a few extra bucks per couple of weeks for the correct gas?
The following 4 users liked this post by TitanCi:
astinus4 (03-06-19), GlenK (12-19-17), Joeb427 (12-22-17), lexus114 (12-19-17)
Old 12-19-17, 04:00 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^Agree! I've only used premium in my Lexus' and would no matter the recommendation!!
Old 12-21-17, 04:50 AM
SeaTac1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TitanCi
Guys, sorry, say what you will, but come on, if you can afford this car, what's a few extra bucks per couple of weeks for the correct gas?
As the young like to say...."Duuuh".
Old 12-21-17, 09:36 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

That AAA study shines light on "recommended" not required. So this does not really help our case much. The NX runs a turbocharged 2.0L inline 4 cylinder. This spells out high compression and high heat. Heat causes knock, the fuel spontaneously ignites. The RX hybrid is a naturally aspirated 3.5L V6. This spells out mild compression, Less heat would be created from the compression stroke on this engine.
I use premium during the summer but mid-grade during the winter. With outside temps around 30F, I don't see the internal cylinder temp raising the air fuel mixture high enough to knock. But to each their own. I can tell you that Lexus wants premium in the tank. Pg 392 of the NX manual states that if a octane of less than 91 is used it can result in engine damage and a voided warranty. Lexus also states that if only low octane fuel is available that the vehicle should not see heavy loads until refueled with higher octane.

Last edited by skyshadow; 12-21-17 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-21-17, 09:46 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

That's funny. No one talks about GDI which causes carbon build up on intake valve and cylinder head. Difference in Octane value aside, premium gas has more detergent. If one wishes to own the vehicle long term with GDI engine(most of them in today's small engines) Using top tier premium gas is desired. Our cars in the family all require premium. We only use Shell premium. In the case of my car, Audi SQ5 when I tried to use lower octane gas, I got a DTC code of cylinder
1 mixture imbalance. Back to premium gas and reset the code which never came back. It is your car, do whatever you want. That's the way I see it.
Old 12-21-17, 09:47 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenK
^^Agree! I've only used premium in my Lexus' and would no matter the recommendation!!
I think you are getting fooled by a marketing tactic. Premium fuel is not cleaner or more powerful or anything "premium". It's just a variation of octane molarity. octanes are molecules that when added to fuel, reduce the fuel's volatility. That's why there are numbers 87, 89, 91.. This is not the exact molar solubility but it's a easy to understand range. It's just a means of measure we created, like PH of acids and bases... PH is not a scientific number of anything.

ANYWAYS, what I'm saying is if your car does not recommend or require premium, you are doing it no favors by putting premium in it. The car has restraints on how far it can advance and if it was not engineered around premium, it will not be able to advance enough for it. And that's the only thing "premium" fuel is doing. Again, it is not cleaner or "better" in any other way.
Old 12-21-17, 10:45 AM
TitanCi
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

^ your last statement I agree with. But if it's recommended or required, just go with it. It's kind of like the pointless oil threads on BMW forums. Some guys want to save a few bucks every few months by finding an alternative. Just buy the correct damn oil that the engine was specified for and designed for using. It's not that huge of a cost savings.
Old 12-21-17, 11:30 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by TitanCi
^ your last statement I agree with. But if it's recommended or required, just go with it. It's kind of like the pointless oil threads on BMW forums. Some guys want to save a few bucks every few months by finding an alternative. Just buy the correct damn oil that the engine was specified for and designed for using. It's not that huge of a cost savings.
Right, good gas, good oil, and PCV are all important fighting carbon build up. I don't understand folks trying to skimp on cheap tires and gas, etc. Since 1990's most engines are direct injection type for a reason. Make small, more efficient, more power, etc. vs. carbon build up issues. I am sure engineers will figure out to resolve
this issue. If one says no difference running different grade gas I wonder what kind of driver you are. I like snappy, smooth running car than rough, sluggish one.....

Quick Reply: Is premium fuel really needed?