NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Is premium fuel really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 03:39 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tdevries
Especially because adding more ethanol is an easy way to increase octane - gas company’s likely to take this approach. Then you’re paying more for unnecessary octane and actually a little less energy.
Just fun fact, the octane molarity is rated after the ethanol is added. So the ethanol content doesn't boost 87 octane a small amount. It is 87 because of the ethanol. I find this out a few years back after way too much research.

Last edited by skyshadow; 03-04-19 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 06:36 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 712 Likes on 521 Posts

For those that wish to save on fuel costs, there is always the hybrid. Manual recommends regular fuel and I get between 31 and 34 MPG depending on time of year (city). For anyone concerned with the cost of “feeding the beast,” there you go
The following users liked this post:
astinus4 (03-06-19)
Old 03-03-19, 08:19 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by slypx
Here in Montreal, Canada, grades are normally 87, 89 and 91. Sometimes we see 94 at Petro-Canada stations. Own my ‘18 NX since a year and always use 91 without issue, dealer says there is no need to go for 94. I get my premium gas at Costco where gas is 10-12 cents/liter (~ 45 cents/gallon) cheaper than major brands. Fuelled up today at Costco for 1,26$/liter for premium while it was 1,40$/liter at other stations
I've ran a couple tanks of 94 through mine and I do find it has a slight bit more pep at WOT. That said, my butt dyno might be a bit off and there could be no difference lol
Old 03-05-19, 09:26 AM
Boomer80
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had my new to me 16 NX for a couple weeks now and have filled it up twice now. I am pretty much a creature of habit and driving routine, so it has been interesting to see how my gas bill has actually gone down with the NX vs my older Infiniti FX35. I only used 87 in the FX and now have switched to premium 93. So not only has my mpg of course gotten better, but my weekly bill has dropped over $10 a week using the more expensive 93. Interestingly also was the price jumped 15 cents a gallon the day after I bought the NX, so I imagine if I were still driving the FX, I'd be spending even more. So I will stay with premium from now on.
GlenK (03-06-19)
Old 04-11-19, 10:28 AM
newyerker
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer80
I've had my new to me 16 NX for a couple weeks now and have filled it up twice now. I am pretty much a creature of habit and driving routine, so it has been interesting to see how my gas bill has actually gone down with the NX vs my older Infiniti FX35. I only used 87 in the FX and now have switched to premium 93. So not only has my mpg of course gotten better, but my weekly bill has dropped over $10 a week using the more expensive 93. Interestingly also was the price jumped 15 cents a gallon the day after I bought the NX, so I imagine if I were still driving the FX, I'd be spending even more. So I will stay with premium from now on.
but infinitis are also notorious for horrid gas mpg
Old 04-13-19, 03:57 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The real problem here is the price jumps between 87,89,91,93. There is no reason it should cost $.20 each step up. That is vastly different to the costs of the energy needed to add the carbon chains and alter the molarity to get said octanes.
Old 04-13-19, 04:07 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

The other issue is the tiny gas tank....

I buy my gas from Costco. Eases the pain of Premium a little.
Old 04-14-19, 06:58 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
The real problem here is the price jumps between 87,89,91,93. There is no reason it should cost $.20 each step up. That is vastly different to the costs of the energy needed to add the carbon chains and alter the molarity to get said octanes.
Another real problem is the price difference between 87 octane gas (regular), and 93 octane gas (premium). Driving a RX with worse mpg than a NX, but using regular gas, cost just as much for gas as a NX using premium gas.

Here in Texas, premium gas cost as least 20% more than regular. Before my current NX, had a RX, and I am not getting 20% more mpg with my current NX, compared to my past RX.
Old 04-14-19, 08:36 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bob67
Another real problem is the price difference between 87 octane gas (regular), and 93 octane gas (premium). Driving a RX with worse mpg than a NX, but using regular gas, cost just as much for gas as a NX using premium gas.

Here in Texas, premium gas cost as least 20% more than regular. Before my current NX, had a RX, and I am not getting 20% more mpg with my current NX, compared to my past RX.
I agree....My past RX 15 mpg My '18 NX 24 mpg!
Old 04-15-19, 10:25 AM
NSXT
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been using Costco Gas 91 in Canada since day 1 for my NX200T.

I skip the other gas stations of Shell/Esso/Petro with 91 octane as their cost is crazy high from 87 to 89 to 91.

Today's price:

Shell/Esso/Petro ($/Litre):
87: 1.249 * 50L = 62.45
89: 1.299 * 50L = 64.95
91: 1.369 * 50L = 68.45

Costco ($/Litre):
87: 1.159 * 50L = 57.95
91: 1.319 * 50L = 65.95

I have to drive about 30kms one way to Costco. That is why when I do need to shop in Costco, then I put gas there. So my timing is usually right most of the time so I dont have to waste gas/mileage to fill it up and I usually fill it up when the gas low-light is close to on otherwise not worth the trip.

I read here that 89 is ok for winter time? If that is true, it is tad cheaper than 91 and save me the trip to costco.

Will 89 and 91 in a mix not a good thing to do?

I know even getting 91 at Shell/Esso/Petro is not a big deal if I can afford a 45k+ car but as gas keeps going up, my pocket hurts. I should have got the NX300H seriously but that would be my next purchase.

Please advise.
Old 04-15-19, 01:04 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by NSXT
I have been using Costco Gas 91 in Canada since day 1 for my NX200T.

I skip the other gas stations of Shell/Esso/Petro with 91 octane as their cost is crazy high from 87 to 89 to 91.

Today's price:

Shell/Esso/Petro ($/Litre):
87: 1.249 * 50L = 62.45
89: 1.299 * 50L = 64.95
91: 1.369 * 50L = 68.45

Costco ($/Litre):
87: 1.159 * 50L = 57.95
91: 1.319 * 50L = 65.95

I have to drive about 30kms one way to Costco. That is why when I do need to shop in Costco, then I put gas there. So my timing is usually right most of the time so I dont have to waste gas/mileage to fill it up and I usually fill it up when the gas low-light is close to on otherwise not worth the trip.

I read here that 89 is ok for winter time? If that is true, it is tad cheaper than 91 and save me the trip to costco.

Will 89 and 91 in a mix not a good thing to do?

I know even getting 91 at Shell/Esso/Petro is not a big deal if I can afford a 45k+ car but as gas keeps going up, my pocket hurts. I should have got the NX300H seriously but that would be my next purchase.

Please advise.
You will be ok using 89. You might lose a little power.

The NX300h gets better mpg but it was too sluggish for my tastes.
Old 11-29-20, 05:32 AM
dtown40
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is premium fuel really needed?

We are proud owners of a 2021 NX 300 F sport. Our salesman told us that the manufacture recommends premium fuel for that car, but that he owns a Lexus also that recommends premium fuel. He said he have never put premium in his car and that the dealership only puts regular gas in all their new cars. Has anyone experienced problems use regular fuel? Salesman will say anything to sell a car.
Old 11-29-20, 06:41 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by dtown40
We are proud owners of a 2021 NX 300 F sport. Our salesman told us that the manufacture recommends premium fuel for that car, but that he owns a Lexus also that recommends premium fuel. He said he have never put premium in his car and that the dealership only puts regular gas in all their new cars. Has anyone experienced problems use regular fuel? Salesman will say anything to sell a car.
This thread is 8 pages long so it's not a clear cut answer. I always use premium on turbocharged cars, especially in a hot Flordia climate where detonation is more likely.

The pcm will adjust to a lower octane fuel which will in turn equal a loss of power in the right conditions. If you live in a cool climate then you will be less likely to see the effects of using a lower octane fuel.

Last edited by BMGS; 11-29-20 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-29-20, 09:12 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 712 Likes on 521 Posts

First off, please let me congratulate you on your purchase. These are nice cars and we have really enjoyed ours.

There are many opinions on this topic as you can see from the length of this thread. My opinion is to trust the manufacturer, otherwise why am I even buying from this manufacturer if I don't? They have tuned the car based on a specific octane rating. Yes, as others point out, modern cars can easily adjust the timing to compensate for lower octanes - but my "opinion" is why not just used the recommended fuel so that it doesn't have to constantly adjust for the fact that we are running lower octane fuels? I realize premium fuel has a higher cost, and my hybrid NX is not turbocharged, so regular fuel is recommended. With that disclosure, this discussion is a bit academic for me, but I ran premium fuel in past cars that carried such recommendation from the manufacturer. Another consideration is that octane ratings will vary depending on retailers and regions, so your car may be adjusting the timing anyway even if you are running fuel labeled as premium. The bottom line is that you won't hurt anything by running regular fuel as your car will compensate as necessary. Oh - and as to the salesman's claim that they only fill with regular on the lot, I would find that very credible. I seriously doubt my dealer has anything but a single regular fuel tank on their lot.
GlenK (11-30-20)
Old 12-01-20, 05:05 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is Lexus' statement on the minimum octane requirements and the factory warranty:

"Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than what is listed for your model year vehicle could potentially result in engine knocking. If the octane rating used is less than required, damage to the engine may occur and which could void the vehicle warranty. "

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...xus-vehicle%3F
GlenK (12-02-20)

Quick Reply: Is premium fuel really needed?