NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2015 NX turbo. The Achille’s heel of Lexus reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 02:39 PM
MysteryT
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my 2016 F Sport for a little over a year now (7,000 covid miles only) and have put on two tires and and oil change. I too am a bit worried about the long-term reliability of this turbo 2 liter but I'm driving so little now it will likely take 7 years to come close to 100,000 miles (I currently sit at 41,000 miles).

If I'm being honest, I'm not in love with this car. I had a 2006 Acura TL for 10 years prior to this and put on 150,000 worry-free miles on that. I only sold it because it was at 186,000 and pre-covid and I figured I wanted new tech - which the 2016 NX is a little light on. I take that back, I didn't have any of the adaptive cruise or parking sensors but still...

I'd probably be fine with an old 4Runner (I bought one new in 1996 and put 328,000 miles on that). Toyota/Lexus still are the best in my opinion, I'm just not sure about this particular vehicle.
Old 02-23-21, 01:34 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Door lock cable and lock assembly replaced today.

Unusual in that a failing lock actuator presents as multiple warning chimes for months before it completely fails and the problem becomes more obvious. Unusually it does not trigger a code. So hard to diagnose initially.

Now to work out the idle engine squeal which is now becoming a rattle. Worst when car first started and improves as engine warms up. Also better when a/c switched off.

Old 02-23-21, 07:36 AM
chadhargis
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MysteryT
I too am a bit worried about the long-term reliability of this turbo 2 liter
Anyone have any actual data on the 2.0L Turbo engine? Has it been known to have problems or poor reliability? I haven't found any sources that indicate that it's less than reliable.
The following users liked this post:
2GR (02-23-21)
Old 02-23-21, 12:57 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

Only major drivetrain issue I've had is a leaking water pump replaced under warranty. Brakes have also gotten crunchy, they failed to fix it under warranty, so I serviced them myself and it's been good since. Otherwise, fairly reliable beyond the usual rattles and noises and such.
Old 02-23-21, 01:32 PM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Only major drivetrain issue I've had is a leaking water pump replaced under warranty. Brakes have also gotten crunchy, they failed to fix it under warranty, so I serviced them myself and it's been good since. Otherwise, fairly reliable beyond the usual rattles and noises and such.
What year is your NX? At what mileage did you experience these issues?
Old 02-23-21, 05:15 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
What year is your NX? At what mileage did you experience these issues?
2016 bought at the very end of 2016...somewhere in the 20-25 thousand km range for both issues in the last year or so.
Old 02-23-21, 05:28 PM
MysteryT
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the article I was referring to:https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=139

It states 150k-200k mile engine life. I guess I've been spoiled by my 1996 4Runner - 328,000 - zero issues, 2001 Pathfinder - 286k - zero issues (ECM actually) and 2006 Acura TL - 186k - zero issues.

So far mine's been just fine and I will likely keep it.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (02-26-21)
Old 02-23-21, 10:54 PM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Here's the article I was referring to:https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=139

It states 150k-200k mile engine life. I guess I've been spoiled by my 1996 4Runner - 328,000 - zero issues, 2001 Pathfinder - 286k - zero issues (ECM actually) and 2006 Acura TL - 186k - zero issues.

Based on that single article, the estimated longevity of 150k-200k for this engine(8AR-FTS) isn't that bad, considering that the current non-aspirated Toyota V6 engines (2GR) used in the Camry, Rav4, Highlander, Lexus GS, ES, etc.. is rated at 200K, and "...in some cases, they don't last longer than 30-50k miles."
Old 02-23-21, 11:17 PM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
5 years at just over 110000kms have had some major issues with the car.
1. Rear main transmission seal deformed and leaked oil. 4 days in the shop. Back in for a fifth day as steering misaligned on reassembly.
2.Turbo wastegate pump replacement. Weeks to diagnose and video had to be shown of hesitation issues at high turbo rpms. 3 days in shop. Car returned after repair as went into limp mode as larger pump required new larger hosing for proper functioning.
3. Squeeling moon roof on opening in hot weather. Failing moonroof motor. 3 days in shop for new motor and gearset. Headliner had to be removed. Similar problem on my other Lexus cars.
4. Misaligned rear hatch. Being monitored as ‘currently within specs’. Suspect strut motor failing on one side.
5. Poor NVH with multiple rattles. Added sound insulation in boot cavity and felt in various cabin points.
6. Battery failed at 2.5 years ‘bad cell’, replaced.

All problems covered under warranty or ‘good will’ . Didn’t purchase extended warranty. Fully fuelled car provided with Lexus paid for electronic toll tag at all times. Where I live you can easily use up to $20 tolls a day.

Great dealer service. They initiate good will repairs. Never asked or requested this from them.

Will I continue to purchase Lexus products?

Just bought an RCF but will update to 7 yr extended warranty in future.
Keep us posted on that Turbo Regulator Valve (and updated hose) replacement. I've read a few posts here that the replacement valve still can fail down the road. There are even members that are on their 3rd valve replacement! Yikes!

For those that are unaware of this potential problem with this engine, here is the link to the TSB:

8AR-FTS Emission Control: Vacuum Regulating Valve Problem

FYI, I have an RC and an NX with 58K and 30K on the mileage clock with no problems with this regulator valve (knock on wood).
Old 02-24-21, 02:32 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 550 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by CLightning
Keep us posted on that Turbo Regulator Valve (and updated hose) replacement. I've read a few posts here that the replacement valve still can fail down the road. There are even members that are on their 3rd valve replacement! Yikes!

For those that are unaware of this potential problem with this engine, here is the link to the TSB:

8AR-FTS Emission Control: Vacuum Regulating Valve Problem

FYI, I have an RC and an NX with 58K and 30K on the mileage clock with no problems with this regulator valve (knock on wood).
That seems to be the most common issue I have seen reported here on the forums. I've changed one in my GS that I didnt notice was off spec until I changed it (I noticed a nice increase in performance) and the other in my NX is fine.

It's a couple hundred dollars and an hour to two of labor, no big deal. The important part is to change the wastegate hose as well to the revised version (larger diameter). Have those who have had multiple failures changed the wastegste hose as well?
Old 02-24-21, 06:27 AM
chadhargis
Driver School Candidate

I read the article and the engine life is estimated. They haven't actually studied engines that failed and put data together. They say it's comparable to the the VW 2.0L, which has many high mileage examples and a lot have blown up at low mileage too (usually when the owner is cramming 30psi of boost into them). Then it says the life is limited by the block. The block?? You mean, literally the big hunk of metal that doesn't move. Not the pistons, the rings, the con rods, the bearings, the valvetrain, the turbo...but the block. Um...ok. I don't know that I agree with that one but hey, I've only been an average Joe gearhead for 40 years, what do I know.

I've seen high miles on all types of engines. From old GM crap to modern cars. I will say that turbo engines don't seem to be as reliable when they get older, but that is mostly due to the fact that most turbo motors I've see that were old were performance engines that were highly stressed. The Lexus turbo is not what I'd call a performance engine. It's not cranking out 300+hp and 25psi of boost.

The turbos today aren't the same as the turbos of the 80's and 90's. I think the major thing making modern turbos more maintenance prone is direct injection, but Lexus dodges this bullet through the use of direct and port injection so there should not be a need to decarbon the head.

At any rate, the Lexus is my wife's car and she loves it. We got the extended warranty so if the thing goes boom before 2028 then we're covered. But it will probably be traded before that date.
Old 02-24-21, 07:24 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by chadhargis
I read the article and the engine life is estimated. They haven't actually studied engines that failed and put data together. They say it's comparable to the the VW 2.0L, which has many high mileage examples and a lot have blown up at low mileage too (usually when the owner is cramming 30psi of boost into them). Then it says the life is limited by the block. The block?? You mean, literally the big hunk of metal that doesn't move. Not the pistons, the rings, the con rods, the bearings, the valvetrain, the turbo...but the block. Um...ok. I don't know that I agree with that one but hey, I've only been an average Joe gearhead for 40 years, what do I know.

I've seen high miles on all types of engines. From old GM crap to modern cars. I will say that turbo engines don't seem to be as reliable when they get older, but that is mostly due to the fact that most turbo motors I've see that were old were performance engines that were highly stressed. The Lexus turbo is not what I'd call a performance engine. It's not cranking out 300+hp and 25psi of boost.

The turbos today aren't the same as the turbos of the 80's and 90's. I think the major thing making modern turbos more maintenance prone is direct injection, but Lexus dodges this bullet through the use of direct and port injection so there should not be a need to decarbon the head.

At any rate, the Lexus is my wife's car and she loves it. We got the extended warranty so if the thing goes boom before 2028 then we're covered. But it will probably be traded before that date.
chadhargis, if you're an "average Joe gearhead", then I'll consider myself a "below average Joe gearhead"
I read that article a while back, and while I don't understand a lot of it, I noticed 2 things:
1) I did not see any DATE on the article. Usually, whenever I read something I like to know WHEN it was written. Is this info out-of-date, perhaps?
2) With my little knowledge, I didn't see anything glaring that was negative about the engine. But, I know little about engines so who am I to say.

Overall, from the little research I did (AFTER I had already purchased the vehicle) I didn't find anything negative about the engine, but looked at it in a more positive light. They have been using it since 2015 and so I took that as a positive as well.

Also, I purchased the L/Certified warranty, so I'm good for 5.5 years, unlimited miles !

Just my 1.5 cents (Discounts applied due to current state of the economy)

Last edited by LexMan2003; 02-24-21 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-24-21, 07:33 AM
chadhargis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
chadhargis, if you're an "average Joe gearhead", then I'll consider myself a "below average Joe gearhead"
I read that article a while back, and while I don't understand a lot of it, I noticed 2 things:
1) I did not see any DATE on the article. Usually, whenever I read something I like to know WHEN it was written. Is this info out-of-date, perhaps?
2) With my little knowledge, I didn't see anything glaring that was negative about the engine. But, I know little about engines so who am I to say.

Overall, from the little research I did (AFTER I had already purchased the vehicle) I didn't find anything negative about the engine, but looked at it in a more positive light. They have been using it since 2015 and so I took that as a positive as well.

Just my 1.5 cents
Good to hear that your engine is still going strong.

One of the reasons we bought a used Lexus over a new car is the reputation for reliability. We bought our NX with 40,000 miles on it. Three years old, always serviced at the Lexus dealer in Palm Beach Florida before it ended up here in Nashville. I suspect it was a lease turn in. The car looks and drives new. The seats aren't even wrinkled and worn. Not a rattle or squeak in the car. We could have spent the same money and bought a new Mazda CX-5, but we'd have had to buy a lower trim model to get down to what we paid for the certified Lexus. I estimate that the car will probably have 150,000 miles on it before we trade it off. Based on what I have read about Lexus, that's easily attainable. I have a friend who's driven Lexus' for about 10 years and he buys them with 100,000 miles on them and trades them when they get about 200k-225k. He says he almost drives for free because he buys them so cheap and doesn't take a bath on resale.

I can fix most things on a car except for the major powertrain components. Modern cars simply can't be easily repaired by a shade tree mechanic any longer. So as long as the engine and transmission will go 150,000 miles....I'm pretty happy.
Old 02-24-21, 10:52 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by chadhargis
I can fix most things on a car except for the major powertrain components. Modern cars simply can't be easily repaired by a shade tree mechanic any longer. So as long as the engine and transmission will go 150,000 miles....I'm pretty happy.
Pretty much everything short of engine/transmission/differential internals are easy enough to DIY on the NX. Brakes, Suspension, Exhaust, Drive Shafts, Sensors, Accessories, Cooling, AC (to some degree)....all entirely doable and no worse than anything else made in the last 20 years that I've worked on. Lexus (and Toyota) tend to build things fairly serviceable and easy to get at....and if our old 2008 Rav4 was any indication, will still come apart easily after a decade of rusty winters, was worried when I dropped the rear diff to replace the seals that some of the bolts wouldn't come out because they were rusty blobs, but out everything spun and cleaned up no problem.
Old 02-24-21, 10:55 AM
chadhargis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Pretty much everything short of engine/transmission/differential internals are easy enough to DIY on the NX. Brakes, Suspension, Exhaust, Drive Shafts, Sensors, Accessories, Cooling, AC (to some degree)....all entirely doable and no worse than anything else made in the last 20 years that I've worked on. Lexus (and Toyota) tend to build things fairly serviceable and easy to get at....and if our old 2008 Rav4 was any indication, will still come apart easily after a decade of rusty winters, was worried when I dropped the rear diff to replace the seals that some of the bolts wouldn't come out because they were rusty blobs, but out everything spun and cleaned up no problem.
Great to hear!

One of the big reasons I bought my 2019 Honda Ridgeline was ease of serviceability. The 2020 model came with a new transmission that was far less user serviceable.

Quick Reply: 2015 NX turbo. The Achille’s heel of Lexus reliability?