NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2015 NX turbo. The Achille’s heel of Lexus reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-21, 10:05 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RXWes
The G Man Either you are doing some thing wrong or you have rabbit foot from the dark side in your pocket.

You are right about my Rabbit foot. I owned a V8 Lexus ISF and I loved that car. But I'm not sure how my driving affected my Air Conditioning. Around 45K miles the A/C started blowing only warm in the front.

After 4 trips to the Dealership. Lexus finally called in a someone from HQ. They pulled the dash on the car and ended up replacing every A/C system component. If I had not had the extended warranty. I would have been charged for at least one of the visits. And would have had to complain to corporate or get a lawyer. To cover the other 3 service visits.

Instead, I dropped the keys on the advisors desk. Said let me know when its fixed and drove away in a loaner. Its that's piece of mind I pay the 1.10 a day for.

I buy Lexus because of experience with other car company's. That doesn't make Lexus perfect.

If you never had problems with your car. That's fantastic. But when I buy a 2022 Plug In NX450H next year. I will drive it for 4 years. If its worth keeping another 3. I will pay the 1.10 so I can sleep better. And keep my blood pressure lower.
Probably going to jinx myself now but with all the cars I have ever owned in my lifetime, maybe 20+ cars, I have never had a AC compressor failure. Sounds like what you are buying is stress relieve instead of an extended warranty on a car.
Old 06-01-21, 02:21 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

So, back on topic, seems like no one here recently have any turbo issues?
Old 06-01-21, 10:16 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Probably going to jinx myself now but with all the cars I have ever owned in my lifetime, maybe 20+ cars, I have never had a AC compressor failure. Sounds like what you are buying is stress relieve instead of an extended warranty on a car.
On my Lexus ISF. The Air Conditioning was ice cold. The problem was it would only blow cold on the rear center console outlet. All of the front vents blew hot. The tried reflashing the system a couple times. Then it was control valves in the engine compartment.

On the 4th visit back to the dealership. They kept the car for almost two weeks while a Technician sent in from Toyota took the dash off the car. They couldn't find any problems. And ended up replacing every component in the air control system. Which fixed the problem.

This happened at about 45K miles. If I had not had the Platinum warranty. I would have certainly paid for the first visit. Then it would be up the dealership how much to charge for the next 3 visits. Which may have went well. Or I may have to go to Lexus corporate or possibly get a lawyer.

Instead, On every visit I just dropped the keys on the service advisor desk. And drove away in a loaner. This is the worst example I have of all the Lexus vehicles I have owed. But like I have said numerous times. I don't have the luck of some on people on this board. Where they drive a new Lexus 200K miles. And only have to do oil changes.

Every Lexus vehicle I have owed has had significant repairs past the original warranty period. My current vehicle just had its engine and transmission removed to repair oil and water leaks. An issue that would have been covered by the Powertrain warranty. If it had happened in a few months from now. It would not have.

I get the warranty for the peace of mind. If you sleep better with the cash in the bank instead. That's great.
Old 06-02-21, 04:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

As reliable as Lexus are, they do make some rotten apples, it looks like RXWes have gotten everyone of those bad apples.
The following users liked this post:
GlenK (06-03-21)
Old 06-09-21, 08:48 AM
brook41
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I just passed 103,000 miles without any problems, only been to the dealer once for recall and a trim rattle. All maintenance done by me , plugs, filters and new brakes all around. I plan on doing a coolant change when things cool off around here . Thanks to all who shared their experiences and help . This has been the most reliable car that I have owned.
GlenK (06-10-21)
Old 06-09-21, 03:42 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by brook41
I just passed 103,000 miles without any problems, only been to the dealer once for recall and a trim rattle. All maintenance done by me , plugs, filters and new brakes all around. I plan on doing a coolant change when things cool off around here . Thanks to all who shared their experiences and help . This has been the most reliable car that I have owned.
That's great to hear.
For me, this is my first turbo car, let alone an I-4 from lexus so thanks for the update.
Old 06-09-21, 04:25 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Just an update.

Car was at the dealer for 1and half weeks after stalling problems.

Lexus corporate initially refused fuel pump replacement as recall apparently relates to stalling problems occurring in hot conditions not cold.

After furter extensive review by a master tech, no apparent cause for the stalling was found in my car.

Lexus finally agreed to replacement of the fuel pump under recall as a precaution.

I am fortunate that I have a great dealer that goes into bat for me with corporate. Have over 10 years with the service department and 20 years with the Toyota/Lexus dealer. Multiple Lexus/Toyota vehicles.

They always provide a replacement car even though the NX is well beyond the 4 year ‘encore privileges’ benefit period.

By the way, the UX 250h I was provided was a fantastic vehicle. It’s greatly under-rated.

Last edited by miop4000; 06-09-21 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-09-21, 06:17 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
As reliable as Lexus are, they do make some rotten apples, it looks like RXWes have gotten everyone of those bad apples.
Have you asked MIOP4000 how he is doing ? Looks like he got one too.

I am currently on Lexus # 4. Soon to be # 5

2001 RX300

2007 RX330

2012 ISF

2016 RX350

Except for the 2001 RX every Lexus I've owned has at least one repair that cost more than the Platinum / CPO warranty cost. With all of the vehicles having numerous repairs made after the original warranty expired.

Dual Mode Air Conditioning failure

Air Bag Warning

Touch Screen Failure

Engine oil leaks

Water leaks

Side Mirror Motor Failure

Windshield Washer pump

Rear Door lift motor

Door lock Actuator

XM Radio module failure

Headlight Spray washer failure

Sunroof leak

Rear Seat Blu-Ray player failure

On top of all the interior noise complaints. And smaller problems like the Back Up Bumper Sensors coming loose.

I believe every one of my Lexus has had at least one recall. And numerous Transmission software updates.

Last edited by RXWes; 06-09-21 at 06:45 PM.
E46CT (09-21-21)
Old 06-09-21, 06:42 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

I've also been unfortune enough to have had one of Lexus vehicles towed.

About 2 months after I purchased my ISF. The battery went dead while I was at work. No problem, I must have left an interior light on. Called Lexus and got a jump

Next day going to work the battery is dead again. Called the Dealership. They wanted it towed in.

They kept it a couple days. Replaced the battery and the ECU. This was all under the original warranty.

Come to find out over the next few years. ECU failures were quite common on all of the Lexus IS models.

Last edited by RXWes; 06-09-21 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-10-21, 05:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Have you asked MIOP4000 how he is doing ? Looks like he got one too.
Two lemon out of few million car produced, I will take those odds any day of week.
Old 09-21-21, 04:46 AM
niwrad
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

huh just stumbled onto this and realized our is200t also has the odd rocking and turbo instability issue. checking the VIN on the aforementioned service bulletin says car is well before they made the change over. its already been past our warranty period and debating if replacing it would improve engine reliability or not. Thoughts?
Old 09-21-21, 02:09 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by niwrad
huh just stumbled onto this and realized our is200t also has the odd rocking and turbo instability issue. checking the VIN on the aforementioned service bulletin says car is well before they made the change over. its already been past our warranty period and debating if replacing it would improve engine reliability or not. Thoughts?
There is a TSB out for the repair. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they may repair it under good will.

Make sure you check for the 3 other major problems:
1. Rear main seal leak
2. Recall on fuel pump causing stalling in temperature extremes
3. Battery replacement. It eats batteries due to the turbo strain on the stop start system

By the way, I’m a Lexus fanboy but this motor is not Lexus reliable. Lexus has quietly retired it for the new NX and replaced it with the solid and venerable 2.5 litre N/A. The 2.0 turbo will soon go to heaven in other Lexus products.
Old 09-21-21, 02:20 PM
MysteryT
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I trust Lexus and their reliability, I'm not super excited about the 2.0 GDI Turbo engine. I just bought a 2016 4Runner and will be selling my 2016 NX200t F-Sport. I'll have another Lexus one day but I'll stick to the V6 and V8 models.
Old 09-21-21, 02:28 PM
zigsch
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Every Lexus I have owned either new or CPO has had issues. And the CPO or extended I purchased has paid for itself.
Every car I have ever owned either new or CPO has had issues. And if I have kept the car long enough, and especially if the car was European, the extended warranty has paid for itself. Ask me about my 2004 Saab 9-5. Or my 2018 Audi Allroad. Nightmare vehicles.

Some folks may be having issues with their Lexus—or their Toyota, or Honda, or Acura, for that matter. On average, though, the top-tier Japanese brands are far more reliable than VW, Audi, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Data from many sources backs that up.
MysteryT (09-21-21)
Old 09-21-21, 04:56 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zigsch
Every car I have ever owned either new or CPO has had issues. And if I have kept the car long enough, and especially if the car was European, the extended warranty has paid for itself. Ask me about my 2004 Saab 9-5. Or my 2018 Audi Allroad. Nightmare vehicles.

Some folks may be having issues with their Lexus—or their Toyota, or Honda, or Acura, for that matter. On average, though, the top-tier Japanese brands are far more reliable than VW, Audi, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Data from many sources backs that up.
I just picked up my RX350 from the dealer today. They replaced both rear lift gate actuators. They failed yesterday. My 2016 RX350 has 54.000 miles on it.

My Extended warranty just paid for itself again. 1900 dollars to replace the actuators.

Quick Reply: 2015 NX turbo. The Achille’s heel of Lexus reliability?