NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2015 NX turbo. The Achille’s heel of Lexus reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 11:25 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 2015 NX turbo. The Achille’s heel of Lexus reliability?

5 years at just over 110000kms have had some major issues with the car.
1. Rear main transmission seal deformed and leaked oil. 4 days in the shop. Back in for a fifth day as steering misaligned on reassembly.
2.Turbo wastegate pump replacement. Weeks to diagnose and video had to be shown of hesitation issues at high turbo rpms. 3 days in shop. Car returned after repair as went into limp mode as larger pump required new larger hosing for proper functioning.
3. Squeeling moon roof on opening in hot weather. Failing moonroof motor. 3 days in shop for new motor and gearset. Headliner had to be removed. Similar problem on my other Lexus cars.
4. Misaligned rear hatch. Being monitored as ‘currently within specs’. Suspect strut motor failing on one side.
5. Poor NVH with multiple rattles. Added sound insulation in boot cavity and felt in various cabin points.
6. Battery failed at 2.5 years ‘bad cell’, replaced.

All problems covered under warranty or ‘good will’ . Didn’t purchase extended warranty. Fully fuelled car provided with Lexus paid for electronic toll tag at all times. Where I live you can easily use up to $20 tolls a day.

Great dealer service. They initiate good will repairs. Never asked or requested this from them.

Will I continue to purchase Lexus products?

Just bought an RCF but will update to 7 yr extended warranty in future.
Old 12-08-20, 12:09 PM
d2k2vic
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I certainly would not have expected most of those issues; I would say the battery failure could be understandable. Perhaps the turbo 4 engine being brand new development at the time created some of the growing pains. Glad it was all covered under warranty/good will; hopefully the RC F is trouble-free, for a good while at least.
The following users liked this post:
gdcheng (01-09-21)
Old 12-08-20, 04:08 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

The only major issue is the first. The rest seem like minor issues. The turbo valve issue is common amongst all of the 2.0t engines, I did mine in about an hour and a half and diagnosed in less time with the help of the threads on this site.

Last edited by BMGS; 12-09-20 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-09-20, 04:39 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts

Haven't see that many issues with NX's honestly. Congrats on the RCF! I just picked up a white 2020 RCF 3 weeks ago. Completely different from the NX right!? It's got power!

-Nigel
Old 12-09-20, 05:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Like many other manufacturers,Toyota always have issues with seals on their older cars,.
The Japanese are just not as good as the Germans when it comes to turbo charged engines.Rear hatch issues in the NX are pretty common and the dead battery is a vendor issue. Rattles happens even in the most expensive cars but most Lexus are rattle free. I had a Lexus GS350 that was in the shop for 6 or 7 times to fix a dash rattle, after a year, I gave up and sold the soon after.
Old 12-09-20, 08:12 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Like many other manufacturers,Toyota always have issues with seals on their older cars,.
The Japanese are just not as good as the Germans when it comes to turbo charged engines.Rear hatch issues in the NX are pretty common and the dead battery is a vendor issue. Rattles happens even in the most expensive cars but most Lexus are rattle free. I had a Lexus GS350 that was in the shop for 6 or 7 times to fix a dash rattle, after a year, I gave up and sold the soon after.
I dont know if thats really the case.
The following 2 users liked this post by coolsaber:
Lexuswiz (12-09-20), TimboIS (01-24-21)
Old 12-09-20, 09:01 AM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

2015 NX with zero problems other than fuel pump recall.
GlenK (12-10-20)
Old 12-10-20, 03:35 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rVague
2015 NX with zero problems other than fuel pump recall.
Same for me!! No issues at all other than that recall.
rVague (12-10-20)
Old 01-09-21, 02:21 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Another year and another set of problems for the least reliable lexus.

At the dealer 2 days now. Intermittent squealing noise at idle and random electrical faults.

Hazard lights and internal warning chimes triggered when doors unlocked. Car has to be turned on and off for noise to stop. Buttons unreactive including locks

Seatbelt warning chimes and lights triggered while driving. Have to pull over to ‘reset’ car.

Faults of course intermittent.

As always, great support from the dealer.
Old 01-24-21, 10:08 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Have a 2015 NX turbo. No problems, only things out out of pocket was the new battery put in last year, and two sets of tires.
Have a 2015 RCF. No problems, only things out of pocket was the new battery put in last year, new brake pads, and three sets of tires.
Note: Regular Lexus maintenance work and parts, not termed "out of pocket", since they were expected costs of ownership.

As you can guess, happy owners of both. Probably get a 2022 NX just for fun, but will never sell my RCF, because to replace it with something new that could somewhat copy it's qualities, will put it's replacement in a very very high cost range!
Vitveet (01-25-21)
Old 02-16-21, 05:45 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

After days in the dealer previously, cause of random alarms were not found.

Today, its clear the front passenger lock actuator is failing triggering the alarm.

Dealer not offering anymore freebies.

The car has had so many faults I’ve used up all the goodwill. Time to start paying.

Checking out a GLA this weekend. Mercedes has stepped up with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. Lexus has a 4 year warranty but just reduced its ‘encore privileges from 4 to 3 years.
Old 02-17-21, 09:13 AM
chadhargis
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Every manufacturer makes a lemon now and then. I wouldn't expect it from Lexus knowing how rigorous the requirements are to work for Lexus, but I suppose it happens. Also, sensors and other small parts are more than likely made by other suppliers. In the early years, that's how Mazda came into being, they were a part supplier for Toyota.

If you look at the big picture, Lexus has stellar reliability. It's one of the reasons they are fairly conservative with updates and changes. They prefer proven technology over cutting edge. I have no issue with that.

My NX has 45,000 miles and it runs and drives just like new. Not even a rattle or squeak.
GlenK (02-18-21)
Old 02-19-21, 07:19 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Adding that I also have zero issues aside from Fuel Pump recall...
chadhargis (02-19-21)
Old 02-19-21, 01:21 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jsmith
Adding that I also have zero issues aside from Fuel Pump recall...
Adding that I also have zero issues aside from .......................
Old 02-19-21, 01:47 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
Adding that I also have zero issues aside from .......................
I get it ;-). I should mention that as seen from my siggy, mine is a CPO and there's a gap in the service records between recorded oil changes - about 15k miles. Dealer says it was probably outside the freebie period and was done elsewhere. I treated it with auto-rx for my peace of mind. Dealer says the car is in perfect condition right now. I have just added the Grom kit for Carplay, so I may hang on to this car for a while longer.

Quick Reply: 2015 NX turbo. The Achille’s heel of Lexus reliability?