NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Is Prepaid maintenance package worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-21, 04:43 AM
Tanikell
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is Prepaid maintenance package worth it?

I just bought a 2021 NX F sport. I bought a 5yr/50k maintenance package for $4200.The finance guy said I'm saving about 15% by buying now. It does not include tires or brakes, just the other scheduled maintenance. Is it worth it or not?
Old 01-02-21, 08:44 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Not worth it IMO. Considering first 2 services are free.
The following 2 users liked this post by TimboIS:
chas410 (11-17-23), Tanikell (01-02-21)
Old 01-02-21, 09:16 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Given I just past 4 years and haven't even spent close to half that doing dealer services, you got taken...badly.
The following users liked this post:
Tanikell (01-02-21)
Old 01-02-21, 10:04 AM
Tanikell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Given I just past 4 years and haven't even spent close to half that doing dealer services, you got taken...badly.
I have 30 days to cancel! He made it seem like it would cost me an arm & a leg for the major tune ups at 30 & 50k. Thank you, will cancel ASAP!!
Old 01-02-21, 12:22 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,117 Likes on 724 Posts

My method is I never go in an ask for a 15,000 or 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance. I would be paying big bucks for a lot of inspections of things I do not need inspected. Every 10,000 miles I get an oil change and tire rotation. I bring my own oil and filter. Filter is bought on line for $5 and the Mobil 1 is bought at Walmart for $23 for a five quart jug. They charge $30 labor for the oil change and $ 30 for the tire rotation. Every 20,000 miles, I replace the air and cabin air filters which take less then 5 minutes and cost $40. At 30,000 mile intervals, I have the brake fluid replaced which is $120. I usually sell my cars with about 100,000 miles and usually buy two year old CPO which gives me my first four services free. These all added up cost me less then $1,000 every 100,000 miles for both our RX and ES.
Old 01-02-21, 01:33 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by Freds430
My method is I never go in an ask for a 15,000 or 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance. I would be paying big bucks for a lot of inspections of things I do not need inspected. Every 10,000 miles I get an oil change and tire rotation. I bring my own oil and filter. Filter is bought on line for $5 and the Mobil 1 is bought at Walmart for $23 for a five quart jug. They charge $30 labor for the oil change and $ 30 for the tire rotation. Every 20,000 miles, I replace the air and cabin air filters which take less then 5 minutes and cost $40. At 30,000 mile intervals, I have the brake fluid replaced which is $120. I usually sell my cars with about 100,000 miles and usually buy two year old CPO which gives me my first four services free. These all added up cost me less then $1,000 every 100,000 miles for both our RX and ES.
I never understood why people do that just to save a couple of bucks. Do you take it to the local high school auto class for this? Or I’m guessing the techs at Lexus take your oil home and pump in the bulk stuff regardless.

Last edited by TimboIS; 01-02-21 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-02-21, 04:57 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by Sargon
The policy actually covers only what appears in print. Read it carefully, most do not include any "service items" including belts, holes, brackets, fluids, thermostat, filters, clamps, exhaust system, battery, bulbs, fuses, relays, lenses, leaher, vinyl or fabric.
What the salesman told you it covers (far more) will not be paid.
Of course extended service covers service items (fluids, filters, belts, etc). Provided the owners manual specifically states what items need replacing at each service, then those items are most certainly included/covered. Items that aren’t service items would then likely be covered by warranty.
Old 01-02-21, 05:22 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Pre-paid maintenance plans (along with other add-ons that the business manager tries to sell, including extended warranties, wheel and tire warranties, etc..) are among the biggest profit generators available to car dealers. A car dealer can sell you a car with a huge discount, but, if the business manager can sell you 2 or 3 add-ons, that sale can be one of the dealers best profit sales.

Beyond the the complimentary oil change and rotations that come with a Lexus vehicle, the rest of the required maintenance on a Lexus vehicle for the first 5 years of ownership, even with the inflated prices that Lexus service departments charge, should cost somewhere around $800 for 4 oil changes, tire rotations, and 2 brake fluid changes. Those costs could be cut in half if you use a Toyota dealer or a reputable independent mechanic for service. So, charging $4200 for a pre-paid maintenance plan results in almost pure profit for the dealership.
Old 01-03-21, 04:50 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,117 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Pre-paid maintenance plans (along with other add-ons that the business manager tries to sell, including extended warranties, wheel and tire warranties, etc..) are among the biggest profit generators available to car dealers. A car dealer can sell you a car with a huge discount, but, if the business manager can sell you 2 or 3 add-ons, that sale can be one of the dealers best profit sales.

Beyond the the complimentary oil change and rotations that come with a Lexus vehicle, the rest of the required maintenance on a Lexus vehicle for the first 5 years of ownership, even with the inflated prices that Lexus service departments charge, should cost somewhere around $800 for 4 oil changes, tire rotations, and 2 brake fluid changes. Those costs could be cut in half if you use a Toyota dealer or a reputable independent mechanic for service. So, charging $4200 for a pre-paid maintenance plan results in almost pure profit for the dealership.
Very true. Today buyers are much more sophisticated in pricing with the internet especially this site where buyers will tell us all what they paid. I have used pricing I have read here for negotiating purposes. The dealer survives on service, and extended warranties, pre-paid service plans, paint coatings and wheel and tire programs.
Old 01-03-21, 08:42 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Bought that 5 year plan for the last 5 Lexus vehicles I have purchased, never used it for any of them!

When buying these maintenance warranties, had sales persons reduce total car cost by giving me other options for free, or less cost.
Old 01-03-21, 09:19 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

I forgot to ask if it was a “specific dealer” service package vs any Lexus dealer? If it’s dealer specific, that’s definitely a big red flag, and should be avoided. I don’t believe Lexus corp offers prepaid packages.

For reference, I paid $1800 for years 4&5 service package option (as first 3 years included) for my Urus. And this is factory option that can be used at any Lamborghini dealer and is transferrable when the vehicle when sold. $1800 for 2 years seemed pretty reasonable to me, as my Huracan service runs between $1-3k/year.
Old 01-03-21, 12:32 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I have purchased the prepaid maintenance for most all my vehicles including RX300 and current NX.
I always follow the factory guidelines to the mile/month.
It is nice not to pay for normal service thru out the 5 years.
I once figured it saves a little in the total, but considering inflation, etc, it is is not a bad buy in my opinion.
Typically its a Lexus financial transaction so yes good at any dealer.

If you want to play games like finding a cheaper toyota dealer, or skip some tire rotations, etc, then not for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by kent2174:
GlenK (01-04-21), Tanikell (01-03-21)
Old 01-03-21, 01:25 PM
Tanikell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kent2174
I have purchased the prepaid maintenance for most all my vehicles including RX300 and current NX.
I once figured it saves a little in the total, but considering inflation, etc, it is is not a bad buy in my opinion.

If you want to play games like finding a cheaper toyota dealer, or skip some tire rotations, etc, then not for you.
Thanks, this helps! I don't mind prepaying if all the money will be going to a needed service. I just didn't want to pay for something that I will not end up using.
Thank you!!!!
Old 01-04-21, 03:26 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174

Same thing I did 5 years ago. Bought a new NX in 2015 and bought the 5 year plan. Just finished it off and had no regrets. It was really nice not paying anything for 5 years. Will do the same on my next one.
The following 2 users liked this post by GlenK:
JohnB121 (01-04-21), Tanikell (01-04-21)
Old 01-04-21, 08:16 AM
Tanikell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GlenK
Same thing I did 5 years ago. Bought a new NX in 2015 and bought the 5 year plan. Just finished it off and had no regrets. It was really nice not paying anything for 5 years. Will do the same on my next one.
That's great to know! I've been losing sleep bc everyone I've talked to said I got totally ripped off!. I bought bc of the convinence of wrapping it with the 0% financing & supposedly saving if purchased upfront. I'm relieved to know that it's going to work out in my favor., Especially bc I plan on keeping this baby for a very long time.
Thank you for your reply!
The following users liked this post:
GlenK (01-06-21)

Quick Reply: Is Prepaid maintenance package worth it?