Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 09:36 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 2021 Lexus NX vs 2021 Acura RDX Comparison

2021 Lexus NX vs 2021 Acura RDX Comparison
By Brett Foote

These two compact luxury crossovers offer many of the same qualities.

Old 02-27-21, 10:25 PM
sh357
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I were actually looking at both of these models when we were in the market. We decided to go for the NX since the RDX is still relatively new and we are not sure of the long term reliability.
Old 03-02-21, 01:32 PM
chadhargis
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sh357
My wife and I were actually looking at both of these models when we were in the market. We decided to go for the NX since the RDX is still relatively new and we are not sure of the long term reliability.
I'm a Honda owner as well, and the scoop over on the Honda boards is that the infamous Honda reliability has been slipping steadily. I've not had any issues with my vehicle, but many have. I think Lexus is probably tops in the reliability and longevity game right now.
The following users liked this post:
mambro (03-05-21)
Old 03-02-21, 02:24 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

haha Seriously did you guys purchase an NX over RDX for reliability? It's Toyota vs Honda. It's a toss-up. The RDX definitely looks better. IMO While the NX does have the Lexus name you're definitely going to pay more for service.
Old 03-02-21, 02:27 PM
chadhargis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rogers2
haha Seriously did you guys purchase an NX over RDX for reliability? It's Toyota vs Honda. It's a toss-up. The RDX definitely looks better. IMO While the NX does have the Lexus name you're definitely going to pay more for service.
Actually, no....it's worse than that. We purchased the NX over the RDX (both 2018 model years) because my wife liked the interior color and seating position better in the NX and the RDX didn't pick up her favorite radio station very clearly (my Honda radio does the same thing, so she's familiar with the issue). The RDX was a V6 with only 10,000 miles. It was a little cream puff, but she didn't like it. Nope...wouldn't even consider it.
Old 03-02-21, 07:52 PM
rogers2
Racer

Originally Posted by chadhargis
Actually, no....it's worse than that. We purchased the NX over the RDX (both 2018 model years) because my wife liked the interior color and seating position better in the NX and the RDX didn't pick up her favorite radio station very clearly (my Honda radio does the same thing, so she's familiar with the issue). The RDX was a V6 with only 10,000 miles. It was a little cream puff, but she didn't like it. Nope...wouldn't even consider it.
Ok, now that makes sense.
Old 03-03-21, 04:56 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

I find this thread very interesting.

My brother-in-law, who is extremely knowledgeable about cars, engines, etc, just bought the 2021 RDX ASPEC. He was with me all the way through my purchase of my 2020 NX, and was always pretty much focused on getting an RDX. So I can update this thread ever so often with some tidbits.

NOTE: I have a 2020 NX, he bought a 2021 RDX ASPEC. Of course there are differences, but I believe my comments would still be helpful.

Personally, I LOVE Toyota/Lexus and for me buying T/L was very high on my priority list. Perhaps because I've had such good experiences with them. I also had a Honda Prelude many years ago and it was pretty good too. Also, I happen to prefer the look/style of the NX over the RDX, and the NX is a tad shorter which is my preference.

A couple of things I noticed in the 2 days my brother-in-law purchased his RDX:

1 - RDX has AGM battery.
2 - RDX has electronic shifting **** - NX has the mechanical (?) shift know in center console.
3 - RDX seats have SOME real leather - Not sure how much, will see today when he comes over.
4 - BOTH use 0w-20 (NX uses 5.2q, RDX uses 5q) - Ha ha, so unimportant!
5 - In MY opinion NX has a cushier ride, which was what I wanted. He wanted something more sporty.
6 - I believe his RDX has 20" wheels. My NX has the (upgraded) 18" wheels. Personally, I don't want wheels that are TOO big.

That's all for now. I'll have more soon. We talk frequently (mostly about our cars) and so I should have something more to contribute to this thread!

Last edited by LexMan2003; 03-03-21 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-03-21, 05:05 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,113 Likes on 721 Posts

It is not the scoop. It is reality. Honda and Acura use to be in the top 5 every year in the J D Power dependability study. Honda in the current study is 27 out of 33. Their slip started about six years ago. The comment below about Lexus and Acura is a toss-up is absurd. Lexus has been #1 in reliability by J D Power 9 times in the last eleven years and #2 twice. Consumer Reports list the ten dogs to stay away from and the MDX is one. That would alarm me buying a RDX.
Old 03-03-21, 07:05 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
I find this thread very interesting.

My brother-in-law, who is extremely knowledgeable about cars, engines, etc, just bought the 2021 RDX ASPEC. He was with me all the way through my purchase of my 2020 NX, and was always pretty much focused on getting an RDX. So I can update this thread ever so often with some tidbits.

NOTE: I have a 2020 NX, he bought a 2021 RDX ASPEC. Of course there are differences, but I believe my comments would still be helpful.

Personally, I LOVE Toyota/Lexus and for me buying T/L was very high on my priority list. Perhaps because I've had such good experiences with them. I also had a Honda Prelude many years ago and it was pretty good too. Also, I happen to prefer the look/style of the NX over the RDX, and the NX is a tad shorter which is my preference.

A couple of things I noticed in the 2 days my brother-in-law purchased his RDX:

1 - RDX has AGM battery.
2 - RDX has electronic shifting **** - NX has the mechanical (?) shift know in center console.
3 - RDX seats have SOME real leather - Not sure how much, will see today when he comes over.
4 - BOTH use 0w-20 (NX uses 5.2q, RDX uses 5q) - Ha ha, so unimportant!
5 - In MY opinion NX has a cushier ride, which was what I wanted. He wanted something more sporty.
6 - I believe his RDX has 20" wheels. My NX has the (upgraded) 18" wheels. Personally, I don't want wheels that are TOO big.

That's all for now. I'll have more soon. We talk frequently (mostly about our cars) and so I should have something more to contribute to this thread!
The RDX has start stop technology, that is why it has a AGM battery. An ASpec RDX? What is the point? Its a SUV.
I cannot imagine anything stiffer than the NX's ride, the RDX ASpec, must knock out your teeth every time you hit a pothole.
Reliability wise, in my opinion, its mostly pot luck, one can but a lemon Lexus as well, I had one in the pass. Overall, Lexus is a reliable car but not to the point where they are blowing the competitions away. Brands like Lexus and Porsche have figure out that good customer service can increase the brand's reliability rating, If one was treated well at a dealership, he or she will be more likely to down play the issues or not even mention them in the survey. Reliability in modern cars has come a long way, the gap between the top rated brands and the lower ranks have narrow in recent years. Even the British cars are getting more dependable
Old 03-03-21, 11:12 AM
tkhan84
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I briefly had an IS300 Fsport2 before switching to an NX300 Fsport 1 (former was not baby friendly), and I did compare the IS with an Acura TLX Aspec. I found that although Acura was probably a better bang for your buck (a few $k cheaper for similar spec), the ride and seating position of the Lexus was more comfortable. I also didn't like the interior of the Acura as much but don't recall why. That being said, I know a lot of people with Acuras who are very happy with them.
Old 03-03-21, 11:36 AM
chadhargis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Freds430
It is not the scoop. It is reality. Honda and Acura use to be in the top 5 every year in the J D Power dependability study. Honda in the current study is 27 out of 33. Their slip started about six years ago. The comment below about Lexus and Acura is a toss-up is absurd. Lexus has been #1 in reliability by J D Power 9 times in the last eleven years and #2 twice. Consumer Reports list the ten dogs to stay away from and the MDX is one. That would alarm me buying a RDX.
This reflects much of what I've been seeing on the Honda boards. Many long term Honda owners and brand loyalists are jumping ship to Toyota or Mazda. I have not personally had any issue with my Honda, but transmissions seem to be the Achilles' heel along with some fuel injector issues. Some folks have reported misaligned panels and fluttering hoods.

The tone here in the Lexus world seems to be more anecdotal. Things like, "well..the turbo engine won't last as long" but no actual evidence of failed engines.
Old 03-06-21, 08:09 AM
nickage87
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This reflects much of what I've been seeing on the Honda boards. Many long term Honda owners and brand loyalists are jumping ship to Toyota or Mazda. I have not personally had any issue with my Honda, but transmissions seem to be the Achilles' heel along with some fuel injector issues. Some folks have reported misaligned panels and fluttering hoods.

The tone here in the Lexus world seems to be more anecdotal. Things like, "well..the turbo engine won't last as long" but no actual evidence of failed engines.
the more technology added to a car the less reliable it is. Acura is on pair with bmw, but less expensive to purchase and maintain. Lexus is very conservative in technology and performance, this is why it is so reliable.
performance = Acura or bmw
reliability = lexus
Old 03-08-21, 05:24 PM
rogers2
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by Freds430

Did you really post a JD BRAND Ranking!! HA HA Take those surveys with a grain of salt.
Please. Like I said Lexus is no more reliable than Acura. I don't need a survey. I have owned a number of Lexus and Honda vehicles.
Trust me you're going to pay more to own a Lexus than any honda or Acura. Lexus service is overpriced by a mile. Other than Honda's terrible transmission in the past you have never heard of Honda having a problem with their cars.

Last edited by rogers2; 03-08-21 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-08-21, 07:08 PM
chadhargis
Driver School Candidate

Did you really post a JD BRAND Ranking!! HA HA Take those surveys with a grain of salt.
Please. Like I said Lexus is no more reliable than Acura. I don't need a survey. I have owned a number of Lexus and Honda vehicles.
Trust me you're going to pay more to own a Lexus than any honda or Acura. Lexus service is overpriced by a mile. Other than Honda's terrible transmission in the past you have never heard of Honda having a problem with their cars.
The climate over on the Honda forums reflects a very different attitude as do most auto journalists. As a Honda owner, I'm pretty tuned into the brand. Honda itself has acknowledged its quality issues. The CEO recently stepped down.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/high...ability-survey

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...simple-stupid/

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-...quality-issues

https://www.designnews.com/electroni...honda-declines
The following users liked this post:
GlenK (03-09-21)
Old 03-09-21, 04:09 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,113 Likes on 721 Posts

So J D Power conducting a survey with thousands of owners is more accurate then your one opinion. You do realize it is not J D Power's opinion but a compilation of thousands of owners that have been surveyed. I cancel you out. I have had seven Acura's in the past. The early ones were bullet proof. My last one, an RL their flagship, I spent more on repairs then all my six Lexus's combined. As far as service/maintenance Lexus in a study was the third least expensive to maintain of all manufacturers and by far the least expensive luxury brand. Acura was 20th. In customer satisfaction Lexus is #1 and Acura is #8. In brand loyalty (do owners re-buy the same brand) Lexus is #1 and again Acura is #8 out of 13 in the luxury class. In lowest depreciation again Lexus was #1 and Acura #12. All of this explains why year after year Lexus sells well over twice as many vehicles then Acura.

Last edited by Freds430; 03-09-21 at 04:18 AM.

Quick Reply: 2021 Lexus NX vs 2021 Acura RDX Comparison