NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Anyone know how to adjust headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-21, 08:08 AM
SeventhSon
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone know how to adjust headlights

The low beams on my '16 NX200t don't seem to project very far compared to other cars I drive. It's more like they seem to be pointed a bit down and the beam sharply cuts off around 25 feet or so.

Does anyone know if there is a vertical adjustment so I can raise them up a hair?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by SeventhSon; 07-27-21 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-26-21, 08:45 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by SeventhSon
The low beams on my '16 NX200t don't seem to project very far compared to other cars I drive. The beam sharply cuts off around 50 feet or so.

Does anyone know if there is a vertical adjustment so I can raise them up a hair?

Thank you in advance.
I'm sure there is an adjustment, but unfortunately I cannot give you any further guidance. We just traded our 2016 NX (with triple beam headlights) in March but it had vertical adjustment so I'm sure yours would as well. It was done via a dial near the headlight assembly. You need to adjust about 7 clicks on the dial and then test it. I actually put tape on the front wall of my garage so I could see my progress. If you use your garage wall then keep in mind that a very tiny adjustment at close distance will result in a much greater adjustment at the far range of the headlights. In hindsight, I would simply adjust it up a small amount and then drive it for a bit to test it. Repeat until you have it where you want it, while making sure you aren't getting flashed by oncoming traffic - which clearly indicates you have gone too far. Remember too, the side towards oncoming traffic (left side in North American vehicles) is always slightly lower to prevent blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 07-26-21, 11:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The low beams on my '16 NX200t don't seem to project very far compared to other cars I drive. It's more like they seem to be pointed a bit down and the beam sharply cuts off around 50 feet or so.

Thank you in advance.

My headlight also came from the factory low, I had to make some adjustments myself as the dealer said it was in spec. This procedure is for the non-triple beam headlights. If you look at the back side of the light assemblies, you will find the adjuster. A long #2 Phillips screwdriver will work for the adjustment. If I remember right, CW adjust up, adjust 1/2 turn at a time and keep track of the turns.
Old 07-26-21, 12:47 PM
SeventhSon
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TechNut
I'm sure there is an adjustment, but unfortunately I cannot give you any further guidance. We just traded our 2016 NX (with triple beam headlights) in March but it had vertical adjustment so I'm sure yours would as well. It was done via a dial near the headlight assembly. You need to adjust about 7 clicks on the dial and then test it. I actually put tape on the front wall of my garage so I could see my progress. If you use your garage wall then keep in mind that a very tiny adjustment at close distance will result in a much greater adjustment at the far range of the headlights. In hindsight, I would simply adjust it up a small amount and then drive it for a bit to test it. Repeat until you have it where you want it, while making sure you aren't getting flashed by oncoming traffic - which clearly indicates you have gone too far. Remember too, the side towards oncoming traffic (left side in North American vehicles) is always slightly lower to prevent blinding oncoming traffic.
Thanks Doug.
There's a plastic cover in the engine bay that partially covers the tops of the headlamp assemblies. I'll have to pull that off and look for the adjusters. Appreciate your help.
Old 07-26-21, 12:49 PM
SeventhSon
10th Gear

Originally Posted by The G Man
My headlight also came from the factory low, I had to make some adjustments myself as the dealer said it was in spec. This procedure is for the non-triple beam headlights. If you look at the back side of the light assemblies, you will find the adjuster. A long #2 Phillips screwdriver will work for the adjustment. If I remember right, CW adjust up, adjust 1/2 turn at a time and keep track of the turns.
Thanks G Man! Not sure whether I have the triple beam headlights or not, but I will look for that adjuster.
Old 07-26-21, 01:16 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks G Man! Not sure whether I have the triple beam headlights or not, but I will look for that adjuster.
No problem, you can either take the cover off or just use a really long Phillip screwdriver. The link below shows the location of the adjustment cog.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13....html?page=335
Old 07-27-21, 08:28 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
No problem, you can either take the cover off or just use a really long Phillip screwdriver. The link below shows the location of the adjustment cog.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13....html?page=335
Thank you for the clarification. Its been quite a while since I adjusted mine and I was apparently a little off on how much to adjust at a time. I looked in the manual because I wanted to include that reference as well in my earlier reply, but I wasn't finding it.
Old 07-27-21, 11:30 AM
SeventhSon
10th Gear

Looks like I have the triple beam headlights but I couldn't find anywhere in my owner's manual how to adjust them.
Old 07-27-21, 07:04 PM
WDEagle
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...djustment.html
Old 07-29-21, 05:26 AM
SeventhSon
10th Gear

Thanks everyone and also to WDEagle for that older post. This is exactly what I needed.
I have the triple beam headlights and on the back of each assembly is a small cog that fits an 8mm socket. It also has a slat in it if you want to use a short stubby regular screwdriver. Turn counterclockwise to raise the beam and clockwise to lower it. Took all of a minute to make the necessary adjustment. Thanks again!
The following users liked this post:
WDEagle (07-29-21)