NX200 Stealth Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-21, 07:02 AM
sannitig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX200 Stealth Sound System

Hi Everyone,

New here! First Lexus too, 2015 NX Canada! Love it - luxury, class AND reliability all in one.....with Toyota parts??? Yes please

I think I blew the speakers in my wife's NX and want to replace them as they crackle, but don't know how to go about this. I've had a full fledge system in my Saab before and I know she will not go for that. Period. Must remain stock looking.

I've been reading the threads on this and am still confused. Some people say if you have the amp you can just upgrade the speakers (easy to search what kind), others say you need to add a DSP to hear any real improvements (ok now I need to search a little deeper and take the dash apart, can you keep the Head Unit?), one guy even said because of the cross-overs that Lexus uses anything short of ripping out the head unit it pointless (this is a full system and basically states 'Don't bother changing anything on the NX').

Would be nice for the people who can DIY but may not have the time to learn in depth to have a sticky thread on exactly what our options are as NX owners to upgrade our sound, what different scenarios there can be, and how to go about it. I feel like if you own a Lexus you're a practical person who enjoys the finer things in life, so let's make this stick for any new comers!
Old 08-14-21, 01:10 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are looking for help with Stereo upgrades. Try this forum.

Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Old 08-14-21, 03:17 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

What is your goal, do you just want to replace the blown speakers or do you want to use this time to upgrade the whole system? There are many routes, that's why you're getting conflicting info, need to know more on what your wife/you want and the budget.

Old 08-15-21, 09:07 AM
sannitig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
What is your goal, do you just want to replace the blown speakers or do you want to use this time to upgrade the whole system? There are many routes, that's why you're getting conflicting info, need to know more on what your wife/you want and the budget.
Looking to replace the speakers yes, but taking the time to upgrade the system to something better without any visual changes to the system/car.

The budget is unknown but I can't imagine it being too much tbh if we're avoiding any cosmetic changes. I would say keep it under $500-ish.

No cosmetic changes. I want her to get in the cast and not know anything has changed until she turns up the volume.
Old 08-15-21, 11:38 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

I'd say best bang for your buck is to use an LC2i Pro or better an LC6i paired with a new amp and all new speakers. There is a harness from I believe metra to bypass the OEM amp. Full DSP system will blow the $500 budget out quickly, I personally would not suggest that route.

I did only a subwoofer but hid the amp and LC2i under the rear seats. Besides my box in the trunk, car looks completely stock. Even have my amp controller going to my center console that's stealth.
Old 08-15-21, 12:17 PM
sannitig
Driver School Candidate

Well this is interesting....I didn't know these lc2/lc6 devices existed!

What's the difference between this scenario and a full DSP system?
Old 08-15-21, 06:33 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by sannitig
Well this is interesting....I didn't know these lc2/lc6 devices existed!

What's the difference between this scenario and a full DSP system?
Tune-ability. The LC2/6i are simple LOC's with a weeee bit more adjustment. Full DSP allows basically total control all through the frequency range with time alignment and filtering, thus the massive price tag. Audiocontrols makes their own DSP's too but again, $$$$$$$.
Old 08-15-21, 07:37 PM
sannitig
Driver School Candidate

Damn you weren't kidding about the DSP pricing.

Ok so grab an LC6i and it sits in-line between the head unit and the after market amp I'll be purchasing - because we're bypassing the factory amp?

Also, the LC6i is just for the front sound stage yea? I think these cars are 10 speaker systems....3 dash, 2 front kick plate, 2 rear kick plate, 2 somewhere else? And 1 sub....

​​
Old 08-16-21, 04:25 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by sannitig
Damn you weren't kidding about the DSP pricing.

Ok so grab an LC6i and it sits in-line between the head unit and the after market amp I'll be purchasing - because we're bypassing the factory amp?

Also, the LC6i is just for the front sound stage yea? I think these cars are 10 speaker systems....3 dash, 2 front kick plate, 2 rear kick plate, 2 somewhere else? And 1 sub....

​​
Correct, you will need to do some magic with the wiring to get signal to the LC6i as it typically needs high level inputs but if you can trace the headunit signal wires, you can terminate them as RCAs and send it to the low level RCA inputs on the LC6i.

LC6i will sum up everything and give you a clean pre-amp signal. You'll need to do tuning on the amps themselves for the highs, mids, and bass.