NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Side Mirrors Move OUT (not down) When In Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21 | 06:38 PM
ThunderDmp
Driver School Candidate

Default Side Mirrors Move OUT (not down) When In Reverse

My 2020 NX 300 does NOT have the seat memory option. The mirrors WILL, however, tilt down in the reverse if L or R is chosen (only the selected one tilts, which is normal behavior). Or at least they did until the other day. Now, whenever the car is put in reverse and the position is in L or R, BOTH mirrors move to the far OUTBOARD position for each mirror (both mirrors move, and actually try to go past the maximum adjustment and the mirrors "bounce" off the farthest adjustment position). They return to normal when the car is put back to D or P.

Anyone experienced this weird behavior?
Old 09-13-21 | 07:17 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

To get the mirrors to go down to the appropriate position when the car is in reverse, you have to set them up to do so. Have you done that?

If I remember correctly, this is what you have to do to set them up. First, you have shift the car into reverse (and, of course, keep your foot firmly on the brake). Then, while the car is in reverse and with the mirror switch in the L or R position, adjust each mirror to be in the position where you want it to be when you are backing up. After you have done that, the mirrors should move to that position whenever the car is in reverse.
Old 09-14-21 | 09:59 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lesz
To get the mirrors to go down to the appropriate position when the car is in reverse, you have to set them up to do so. Have you done that?

If I remember correctly, this is what you have to do to set them up. First, you have shift the car into reverse (and, of course, keep your foot firmly on the brake). Then, while the car is in reverse and with the mirror switch in the L or R position, adjust each mirror to be in the position where you want it to be when you are backing up. After you have done that, the mirrors should move to that position whenever the car is in reverse.
This is the way all of my Lexus mirrors have behaved - but they have all had the memory seat option. I would think the mirrors would work the same way regardless of the memory seats? I put the car in reverse, then adjust the rearview mirrors to my preference. Then place the button on the middle setting, so that neither the left or right mirror position is selected. When placed back in park the mirrors will return to normal, but when putting the gearshift back in reverse again it should go to this setting created when last in reverse. At least, this is the way my mirrors have always behaved (including on my 2021 RX)? This seems to contradict the "normal" behavior you described with your NX however??

Without any background, it sounds like someone could have been playing with your mirrors and adjusted them to go to the outside. Perhaps someone is playing a prank on you?
Old 09-14-21 | 04:54 PM
xcanuk
Driver School Candidate

I've have a 21 NX, after the initial adjustment while in reverse (left and right), they (left and right) will move to the new position in reverse only if the toggle is set to L or R. If the toggle is centered, they don't move when in reverse.
Old 09-14-21 | 07:05 PM
ThunderDmp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
I should have clarified, I've owned the car for 18 months and the mirrors have worked perfectly up until a couple of days ago, so I do know the proper way to set the mirrors. Up until a few days ago, a mirror would tilt down in reverse in accordance to whichever side the switch was set to (or not at all if it was in the middle). This new behavior is completely different, and *both* mirrors do it simultaneously, regardless of whether or not the switch is in the L or R position. They only don't do it when it's in the middle position. I've put them back to where they should be while the car is still in reverse, but when I shift into reverse again they revert to going full outboard sideways. Remember, I don't have seat memory so I can adjust the mirrors to the correct position while in R but I can't "save" them as there is no memory button on the door to press. All I can do is put the gear selector back to P.
Old 09-15-21 | 05:55 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

I know that there are procedures for re-initializing various systems on the car, including the power windows, door locks, sun roofs, etc. Re-initializing can resolve many issues related to malfunctions in those systems. I have no idea whether there is such a re-initialization procedure that applies to the mirror operations, but I would not be surprised if there is one. I would expect that the service department at a Lexus dealership would know if there is such a procedure and, if there is one, what it might be.