NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Upgrading to NX for Baby—Wait or Buy Now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-21, 09:29 PM
Littlegoat
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrading to NX for Baby—Wait or Buy Now?

I’m looking to upgrade from my UX250h to an NX300h because we need more space with our first baby on the way (late November). With the chip shortage and resulting higher prices, I’ve held off trading in my car (for basically the same amount I paid for it a year ago!) and getting an NX. Do you think if I can wait until early next year to buy a CPO first gen NX prices will be more reasonable since the second gen NX will be out and hopefully more vehicles will be in production?

Or is it better to just bite the bullet and size up before the baby gets here? The UX is feeling mighty cramped with even just the car seat base installed in the backseat.

Thank you!
Old 10-06-21, 05:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

We looked at the UX, it was too small just for the two of us, the NX is about right for us. If you are buying for a family, you might want to consider a RX, we test drove the RX and like the NX better.
Chip shortage does not really affect you since you are trading in, just make sure you get the same mark up for your trade in as the new car, it should even out somewhat. If you are looking at CPO, prices will not drop much even after the new NX is on the lot. If you are buying CPO, I would start looking for good deals and a good trade in for the UX now. your baby will not wait for global production to pick up, whenever that might be.
Old 10-06-21, 05:58 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

After picking up the recall-plague 2019 RAV4 Limited from Toyota Service center (front(replaced twice) and rear differential recalls), we went straight to Lexus (2 blocks away) and traded-in for a NX300 F-sport FWD.

One of the best decisions I ever made.
The following users liked this post:
Robb79 (10-11-21)
Old 10-07-21, 12:51 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
After picking up the recall-plague 2019 RAV4 Limited from Toyota Service center (front(replaced twice) and rear differential recalls), we went straight to Lexus (2 blocks away) and traded-in for a NX300 F-sport FWD.

One of the best decisions I ever made.
do you think NX is quieter than the RAV4? I heard both cars are pretty bad on road noise. Trying to see what real life experience is like.

thanks.
Old 10-07-21, 06:16 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

We have a '20 NX300 AWD. I'd say the vehicle is actually pretty quiet as Lexus are known to be. If anything regarding noise, it's those damn OEM tires Yoko Geolanders
which ain't the best in many regards (Noise, Traction, Treadwear). Gonna go with the Pirelli Scorpion AS3 when these are shot.
Old 10-07-21, 07:30 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
do you think NX is quieter than the RAV4? I heard both cars are pretty bad on road noise. Trying to see what real life experience is like.

thanks.
It's quiet and the only thing I can hear are the tires - but it's not really that bad. All tires will have noise - it will depend on the road pavement. I was a bit hesitant to get the FWD at first, but since we're not in east coast anymore, I opted for the FWD hoping for a better mpg. This is a wife's car so she commented the steering wheel is heavier than the RAV4 - to me it's a good thing.

Not related but only thing I don't want is installing these damn dashcams back. I hate tucking them in those corners but oh well, we need them these days.

You should go ahead and test drive them both FWD and AWD. But if you get snow in your area, I will never recommend FWD. Take your time and pick the right vehicle for you and the family.

Old 10-07-21, 03:10 PM
claarn
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

@Littlegoat You may as well go for it now. I get the feeling that with TMC announcement the other day that they were cutting production north of 300k units (what models I don't know) , the suspected forthcoming rubber supply issue and continued various supply constraints that we are nowhere near out of this so waiting around for a few months is likely not going to save you much - if anything - unfortunately. Talking new purchase... if you figure you are going to pay MSRP for an NX whereas pre-'all of this chaos' , you would've averaged about a 10% discount from MSRP, that means the NX price is about $4500 more but with your trade in being pretty much what you paid, you can somewhat figure you're really only paying about $1000 or so more given the times. You know that they are going to sell your UX as a CPO which will bring more so be sure to leverage that and hopefully you can just find an NX CPO for yourself. We have a '19 NX and love it. Only complaints from me are the terrible turning radius, no touch screen and terrible factory Yoko Geo tires (just replaced @ 24k with Michelin Primacy A/S which are night and day difference). Other than those minor things the NX is an excellent vehicle in our minds. Good luck and congrats!
Old 10-08-21, 06:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

So many complaints about the Yoko Geo tires being noisy, I am glad our NX comes with the Michelin Primacy A/S which is pretty quiet but the ride is a bit stiff.
The following users liked this post:
Robb79 (10-11-21)
Old 10-15-21, 10:37 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Get the new NX which is slightly bigger than the current gen or go for the RX now.

I bought a 2016 NX and thought it would have been enough with a growing family (did test drives and cross shopped RX / NX). When my daughter was born a year later, I immediately realized there was going to be a lot of compromise. Cargo space is small. When I first put in my regular size stroller it took up most of the space already. Also in terms of noise, the NX rattles and isn't the most soundproof car. When it rains, the rain drops hit the roof like a tin can. So it isn't the most quiet car, especially not what to expect from a Lexus. I've done some DIYs in felting various areas that had rattles (subwoofer, license plate, speaker grills) and also there is a design flaw in the rear window glass. When it is opened about 3 inches and you go over rough roads, it will clatter and chatter. I've brought the car in for the Lexus techs to look at that issue since I had a baby sitting in the back... last I want is glass shattering. They couldn't find any solution. I rarely use the rear windows... partly because of this clattering issue, don't want to hear it. Anyways, now that my daughter is 4 and I have a newborn son, there is even more compromise in space. With the regular size stroller back in the cargo and an additional car seat in the car there's just barely room. I'm currently waiting for the MDX type-S to see how that is, or wait for a refreshed RX.

Old 10-22-21, 09:50 AM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

If all goes well, we're taking delivery of a CPO 21 NX300h next week. Lexus loaner vehicle with 9.6k miles. Eminent pearl over creme with premium pkg, nav, panorama monitor and parking assist. Buying it pretty much at sticker price, but they certified it, so I'm getting 62 months of warranty with unlimited miles and dealer agreed to deliver to our house. Overpaying for an NX - for sure...but we just sold our 15 RX to Carvana for $28k so really whatever I'm overpaying on the NX, I'm making up for it on the RX (a year ago no one would give us more than $24k for it and now a year and extra 10k miles later it's $28k).
If situation doesn't improve in early 2022 most clean low-mileage CPOs may be gone from the lots and new deliveries will be scarce and will sell with no discounts and immediately upon arrival. Those who drive newer low mileage cars will most likely keep them for longer... Just one of the possible scenarios and why we're pulling the trigger on the NX... The new 22 NX looks nice, but my wife isn't a big fan of huge iPads in the car and she gets distracted easily with digital buttons.
Old 11-05-21, 11:36 PM
Shtebe
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don’t see a need to rush. My daughter spent her first two years in the back of a Supra Turbo and my only problem was my wife whinnying that we needed four doors.
Old 11-06-21, 05:32 AM
zebox
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You may want to consider a minivan. It makes life much easier between the car seats, strollers and other stuff.