NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Geolanders

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-21, 06:11 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Geolanders

We got a decent snow here in Minneapolis and boy do these Yoko Geolanders suck. Slipping and sliding all over the place even with AWD. I don’t remember them being this bad before. I’ve got 26k miles on them and they seem to have plenty of tread left.
Old 12-12-21, 02:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Those geolanders are ok when new but they perform horribly in the snow after a couple of years. We got lucky with our NX and got the Michelin from factory. The MVX are not great in the snow but better than the yokos.
Old 12-12-21, 01:56 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Any experience with the Michelin Defender T H? Thinking of putting them on my 2018 NX300.
Old 12-13-21, 05:44 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Pirelli just came out with updated SUV tire called Scorpion All Season AS3. That's the direction I'm going with my wifes 2020 NX300 once the Geolander's are fried.
Old 12-13-21, 08:57 AM
jlfirehawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the Bridgestone Duelers and hated them, I have been running Continental DWS 06 on my Audis for years and hands down one of the best all season tires I ever used. I recently swapped my NX300 tires to Continental DWS 06 Plus and they made a night and day difference just in wet handling on the NX. The only downside is they only come in the 55 series not the 60 series so depending on your config they may or may not have the size to fit.
Old 12-13-21, 02:27 PM
claarn
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

We replaced the Geolanders on our 2019 at 26k miles as they were were loud and produced a terrible ride.
Got the Michelin primacy tour a/s from costco. Great tire so far. The Michelin cross climate2 was a contender.
Old 12-14-21, 06:46 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by claarn
We replaced the Geolanders on our 2019 at 26k miles as they were were loud and produced a terrible ride.
Got the Michelin primacy tour a/s from costco. Great tire so far. The Michelin cross climate2 was a contender.
+2!

We also got the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires! We actually got them maybe a month or two ago when Costco was giving $180-200 off. The Geolanders in my opinion were horrible tires. Very noisy, harsh-ish ride. I was quite surprised when my wife brought home her 2018 years ago and I was taken back by the ride quality. I thought instantly this is not what a Lexus should feel like. Lowering the air pressure slightly helped but it was still a noisy ride.

She sliced her rear tire and rather than replacing it with another crap Geolander we bought all new tires. I think she had just shy of 30k miles on the tires. First month or two when she bought the car she got two nails in her front left and rear left tire. They were able to patch the front, but the rear needed to be replaced since the nail was in the sidewall.

I am a Michelin fan and we have them on all of our vehicles. It was a very nice change when we put the Primacy Tour A/S tires on the NX. The ride noise is significantly less, by a LOT! Comfort is also a lot better. Much smoother ride.

-Nigel
Old 12-16-21, 02:43 AM
chrispyk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m curious what anyone thinks about long-term performance of Michelin tires (either the Primacy or Crossclimate2). Does their quietness last for full life of tire? That may be an unreasonable expectation… My experience is that nearly any tire is relatively great when new but clearly not all hold up equally. I’ve got 22+k on my geolanders (2020 NX300) and can’t wait to replace them. Torn between going with Les Schwab or Crossclimate2 when Costco has them back on sale and when I feel I’ve extracted enough life out of the geolanders—which (unfortunately?!) look like they could easily approach 30k. About what I’ve come to expect for any original equipment but wow, do those last several thousand miles try my patience 😆

Road noise is my primary concern but rain performance and occasional trips into the mountain snow here in the PacNW matter, too.
Old 12-16-21, 04:50 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by chrispyk
I’m curious what anyone thinks about long-term performance of Michelin tires (either the Primacy or Crossclimate2). Does their quietness last for full life of tire? That may be an unreasonable expectation… My experience is that nearly any tire is relatively great when new but clearly not all hold up equally. I’ve got 22+k on my geolanders (2020 NX300) and can’t wait to replace them. Torn between going with Les Schwab or Crossclimate2 when Costco has them back on sale and when I feel I’ve extracted enough life out of the geolanders—which (unfortunately?!) look like they could easily approach 30k. About what I’ve come to expect for any original equipment but wow, do those last several thousand miles try my patience 😆

Road noise is my primary concern but rain performance and occasional trips into the mountain snow here in the PacNW matter, too.

I've had Michelin's on all of our cars. My truck has 6 year old Michelin's and they are still extremely quiet. Our 2007 Solara which as Michelin Primacy's for at least 5 years now is still quiet. I think I have at least 50k miles on the Solara tires. I'd have to check my receipts/log when I rotate the tires. Looking back if I knew the geolanders were this bad of a tire from the start I would have replaced them with Michelins a week after my wife picked up her NX. I'm not a Michelin snob by any means, our Mercedes has Firestone tires and they aren't bad, and my STi has Bridgestone's, again not bad at all. But I really do prefer Michelins, heck my RCF came from the factory with awesome Michelin for rubber. It is something that I don't have to worry or think about. I feel like Costco has the tire sale between either BridgeStone or Michelin every other month, at least when I get their emails/packets in the mail it's always on the front page. I love Costco for tires because of the included road hazard. It's used by my wife at LEAST once a year. She tends to destroy tires for whatever reason. Not entirely sure how or why...lol

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 12-16-21 at 06:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chrispyk (12-16-21)