NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Electric parking brake release - rear brake service mode without a scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-23, 05:35 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have access to s small 12volt battery and some wires with alligator clips, it the best method I’ve used to wind and I wind the rear brake. I used the 9 volt method and it wasn’t strong enough. But I have a dry cell 12 volt battery and tried that instead and it worked awesome, took literally seconds so release the brake. No paper clips. No port jumping , no crazy tools. You can get the wires on Amazon’s for under 15 bucks with clips at both ends. The battery I got was from an electronics store that’s like a radio shack on steroids. You could probably get the small battery from batteries plus or even parts express on line.
Old 08-29-23, 01:11 PM
blecharz
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n0v8or
I have the missing Victor video. Use the forum Private Message system and just write "EPB service mode" or something similar so I know which video you want.
You will probably need the free VLC player to view this video. You can download / install it at www.videolan.org and versions are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux (I use all 3).

I will not post here because Toyota has threatened others will legal action for distribution of their proprietary information without written permission ( now you know the likely reason why the original has vanished ).
Hi. Is possible to get all his videos about lexus nx 300h? (i cant write privat message to you. I don't know why)
Old 10-02-23, 08:15 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had jump 4 & 12 terminals in the ECM Port, vehicle on ignition, foot on the brake, then pull EPB 3 times, push down 3 times and then push and hold within 8 seconds worked for me like a charm - 2019 NX300. Once in brake service mode replacing the rear brake pads went smooth.

Old 11-22-23, 02:42 AM
Nanafauda

The intermittent lockout issue with your Lexus GX sounds frustrating. It's crucial to address electrical malfunctions promptly, especially when it affects access to your vehicle. Consulting a specialized locksmith service or a certified Lexus technician could help diagnose and resolve this complex issue efficiently. Their expertise might uncover the root cause, preventing future lockouts and ensuring your vehicle's reliability.
Old 12-17-23, 03:46 PM
gersus
4th Gear

I attempted changing rear brakes on our 19 NX today. Disengaging EPB went fine. Drivers side went really well. The passenger side not so much. The piston won’t retract. I tried everything. Engaged and disengaged EPB multiple times. I can hear the motor run but doesnt seem like it would run as long as the drivers side?
it will go out though! Eventually I put it back together with old pads and barely got the caliper back on with those. It drives and brakes fine.

Looking at the worn pads the passenger side is worn more than the drivers. Maybe the piston gets stuck and doesnt retract fully?

Appreciate any advice before I take it to the dealer….
Old 12-17-23, 04:13 PM
AMTMJ
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the piston retract at all when you attempt to push it in after placing the parking brake in service mode?
Old 12-17-23, 04:15 PM
gersus
4th Gear

None at all.
Old 12-17-23, 04:55 PM
AMTMJ
Rookie

Potentially, either the piston is seized or the EPB actuator on that side is potentially faulty/not retracting. If you don’t have abnormal wear on the rear-passenger side pads, than I’d be inclined to point towards the EPB actuator. Can you hear that side unwind when going into service mode?
Old 12-17-23, 05:10 PM
gersus
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AMTMJ
Potentially, either the piston is seized or the EPB actuator on that side is potentially faulty/not retracting. If you don’t have abnormal wear on the rear-passenger side pads, than I’d be inclined to point towards the EPB actuator. Can you hear that side unwind when going into service mode?
thank you for the reply. There is abnormal wear on that side, mostly bottom of the outer pad. Drivers side has moderate pad left with even wear.
I can hear the actuator but it runs for a much less amount of time compared to the drivers side.
Old 12-17-23, 05:24 PM
AMTMJ
Rookie

Based on this information, it would seem to indicate a problem with the piston being seized up, usually due to corrosion. Is the rubber boot around the piston torn? A torn seal would allow dirt and moisture to get in.

You can replace the caliper yourself fairly easily and inexpensively if the piston is in fact seized.
Old 12-17-23, 05:29 PM
gersus
4th Gear

The boot is perfect, it wasnt even rotated.
We have a warranty so I’ll take it to the dealer.
Old 12-17-23, 05:33 PM
AMTMJ
Rookie

Also, if you want to make sure you don’t have a faulty actuator, you can swap them side-to-side to see if the problem follows to the driver’s side. It’s only a couple of screws holding on the actuator with an o-ring in between.
The following users liked this post:
gersus (12-17-23)
Old 12-17-23, 05:34 PM
AMTMJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by gersus
The boot is perfect, it wasnt even rotated.
We have a warranty so I’ll take it to the dealer.
Well in that case, let them deal with it.