Door edge guard pulled off

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-21, 09:03 AM
zigsch
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Door edge guard pulled off

Hi folks.

A metal clip on my son's backpack snagged on the rear passenger door edge guard of my new-ish '21 NX. The guard was kind of pulled off and twisted. It's broken and needs to be replaced. I'm actually glad the guard was there (came with the car; do they come on every Lexus?) as it took all the damage, rather than the actual paint finish. The paint itself is perfect. There was some sticky residue from the glue that held on the guard on the very edge of the door, which I easily cleaned off.

The parts department where I got the car in August wants $205 for a set of all four guards, and insists I need a service appointment for the install. Another nearby Lexus dealer wants $119 for the set (they are not sold individually) but also insists I book a service appointment. They said the guards are installed with a mallet and I'll wreck the door (This is correct, according to the PDF instructions; gentle taps with a rubber mallet). They literally would not sell the parts to me. Wouldn't take responsibility, etc. This, to me, is total B.S. I am a very handy guy. I installed the Curt hitch on the car. I built my own kitchen. I've installed doors, roofs, built decks. I'm not a mechanic, but come on! I am NOT paying $200 for a service appointment for a 5 minute tap-on install.

I found the edge guards at LexusPartsNow, but they don't stock my color, Caviar Black. Is Graphite Black the same? Should I mail order from a far away Lexus dealer? The local dealers are just playing games with me, right?

Thanks,
Zig
Old 12-30-21, 09:28 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,062 Likes on 2,574 Posts

What is the part number you're looking to replace?
Old 12-30-21, 11:31 AM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...w0LWdhcw%3D%3D

Available from numerous dealers online at similar cost. Same size fits all 2015-2021 models.

They are sold as a set of 4, but it doesn't hurt to have extras handy for the next incident .
I think these are dealer-installed accessories.

A rubber mallet is the way to install. To "wreck the door" you would need to substitute a 5 pound sledge. You can be sure the dealer will have a minimum wage kid do the install. If you look closely, you will see a reflection of dollar signs in his eyes. I am surprised they haven't added a diagnostic charge to assess the damage.

Prep-solv, or even WD-40, can be used to remove the old glue residue. Wax the cleaned area after install because the glue residue solvents also remove wax.
Old 12-30-21, 11:56 AM
zigsch
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by n0v8or
https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...w0LWdhcw%3D%3D

Available from numerous dealers online at similar cost. Same size fits all 2015-2021 models.

They are sold as a set of 4, but it doesn't hurt to have extras handy for the next incident .
I think these are dealer-installed accessories.

A rubber mallet is the way to install. To "wreck the door" you would need to substitute a 5 pound sledge. You can be sure the dealer will have a minimum wage kid do the install. If you look closely, you will see a reflection of dollar signs in his eyes. I am surprised they haven't added a diagnostic charge to assess the damage.

Prep-solv, or even WD-40, can be used to remove the old glue residue. Wax the cleaned area after install because the glue residue solvents also remove wax.
Diagnostic charge! Ha!

I’m ordering it from these guys. Thanks for the link. Already standing by with my rubber mallet!