NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Vibrating License Plate Frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 10:00 AM
PearlNXt
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Vibrating License Plate Frame

Hey Everyone, So my new to me 2016 NX200t F Sport (Bought with only 36,500 miles) has one annoying quirk which I cant believe Lexus engineers did not think through.

Due to the Subwoofer is in the liftgate (Pretty much right where the plate is mounted) my tag frame vibrates bad, and I even started only playing the 80's channel on XM since most music then has no bass lol, but it still vibrates.

What have you all done to fix this? Since the tag only screws at the top, the whole lower half vibrates so bad.
Old 01-14-22, 11:20 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by PearlNXt
Hey Everyone, So my new to me 2016 NX200t F Sport (Bought with only 36,500 miles) has one annoying quirk which I cant believe Lexus engineers did not think through.

Due to the Subwoofer is in the liftgate (Pretty much right where the plate is mounted) my tag frame vibrates bad, and I even started only playing the 80's channel on XM since most music then has no bass lol, but it still vibrates.

What have you all done to fix this? Since the tag only screws at the top, the whole lower half vibrates so bad.

IF your license plate has bottom holes, suggest you use two small nylon wire ties (color of your choice). That will hold the frame & the plate together nice and tight.
The following users liked this post:
PearlNXt (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 12:01 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

This message thread from 2017 may provide a solution:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...te-rattle.html
PearlNXt (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 01:13 PM
PearlNXt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
IF your license plate has bottom holes, suggest you use two small nylon wire ties (color of your choice). That will hold the frame & the plate together nice and tight.
Hmmm that just might work. Like a black Zip Tie or something.
Old 01-14-22, 01:33 PM
Onekoolguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is how Lexus shop fixed the problem on my NX
Old 01-14-22, 01:40 PM
PearlNXt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Onekoolguy
This is how Lexus shop fixed the problem on my NX
Thank you!!
Onekoolguy (01-14-22)
Old 01-17-22, 03:29 AM
jlfirehawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone tried to drill and tap where there should be holes for the bottom screws on the license plate? I considered switching to the silicon license plate frame but was curious if you could drill and tap those to add a bottom set of screws to help at all.
Old 01-17-22, 04:43 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

The root cause could be that the song you were playing is "Shake, Rattle and Roll" by Bill Haley and His Comets ?
The following 2 users liked this post by LexMan2003:
DampDuffer (01-17-22), PearlNXt (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 03:56 PM
zigsch
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jlfirehawk
Has anyone tried to drill and tap where there should be holes for the bottom screws on the license plate? I considered switching to the silicon license plate frame but was curious if you could drill and tap those to add a bottom set of screws to help at all.
I thought about doing the drill & tap option. I’m a pretty handy guy and seemed simple. However actually I did order up a silicone plate frame on Amazon and can say it completely solved the problem. This was the first and simplest ‘mod’ I made to my NX a few weeks after I got it. Amazon has dozens of brands of silicone frames in all colors. They’re all basically the same, I think. I went with black to match my caviar black paint. Six months on it looks perfect. And no rattles.
jlfirehawk (01-18-22)
Old 01-17-22, 04:11 PM
PearlNXt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zigsch
I thought about doing the drill & tap option. I’m a pretty handy guy and seemed simple. However actually I did order up a silicone plate frame on Amazon and can say it completely solved the problem. This was the first and simplest ‘mod’ I made to my NX a few weeks after I got it. Amazon has dozens of brands of silicone frames in all colors. They’re all basically the same, I think. I went with black to match my caviar black paint. Six months on it looks perfect. And no rattles.
I just ordered the silicone plate frame from Amazon, this looks like it will totally solve the issue since the plate itself also lays on the silicone. THANK YOU
Old 01-17-22, 04:38 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

"12 of foam insulation with a peel back sticky side along the back of the bottom edge will do it.
Old 01-17-22, 05:27 PM
zigsch
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PearlNXt
I just ordered the silicone plate frame from Amazon, this looks like it will totally solve the issue since the plate itself also lays on the silicone. THANK YOU
NP. Seemed to me it was worth the ten bucks or so to try the silicone before drilling into the bodywork. And yes, it’s really a sort of silicone envelope for the license plate. The one I got had very little overlap on the front, just enough to hold it in place. Quick, cheap fix. Looks barely there.
PearlNXt (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 05:37 PM
PearlNXt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zigsch
NP. Seemed to me it was worth the ten bucks or so to try the silicone before drilling into the bodywork. And yes, it’s really a sort of silicone envelope for the license plate. The one I got had very little overlap on the front, just enough to hold it in place. Quick, cheap fix. Looks barely there.
Im sad to give up my metal one but I do think this will totally solve the issue
Old 01-18-22, 06:32 AM
jlfirehawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks zigsch, gonna order one today as well.
zigsch (01-19-22)
Old 01-20-22, 10:47 AM
JermSJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also having some rattling sound issues on my 2019 NX300. Mine sounds like it is coming from the right passenger side area and it is a slight vibrating sound that I cannot specifically pinpoint. Did the replacement of glove compartment door solve this rattling issue for you? This is for @PearlNXt and the picture of the invoice that you posted above.

Ah sorry! The person who posted that invoice was @Onekoolguy thank you for the clarification

Last edited by JermSJ; 01-20-22 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Vibrating License Plate Frame