NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Spare tire well for storage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-22, 01:50 PM
LEXNXF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Spare tire well for storage?

Hey everyone, maybe this is a stupid questions but I was wondering if anyone has taken out their spare tire and used that space for extra storage? I have run flat tires and AAA premium, I also don't see myself changing a tire. Would this be a bad move, anything I should consider?
Pic for attention.

Old 01-28-22, 02:05 PM
PearlNXt
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have run flats then I would not see a issue with removing the spare tire.
Old 01-28-22, 02:10 PM
LEXNXF
Rookie

Thank you, I do have PZero runflats. I appreciate the advice.

Originally Posted by PearlNXt
If you have run flats then I would not see a issue with removing the spare tire.
The following users liked this post:
PearlNXt (01-28-22)
Old 01-28-22, 04:15 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

How do you like these run-flats? Noise and ride harshness compare to OEM tires? Typically, folks stay away from run flat tires and you went the opposite way. The reason I ask is that I consider 2022/23 NX but it only comes with run flat tires, and I am concerned. Thanks.
Old 01-28-22, 06:39 PM
PearlNXt
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
How do you like these run-flats? Noise and ride harshness compare to OEM tires? Typically, folks stay away from run flat tires and you went the opposite way. The reason I ask is that I consider 2022/23 NX but it only comes with run flat tires, and I am concerned. Thanks.
I’ll say on my corvette I took off the run flats due to those reasons
Old 01-29-22, 09:46 PM
LEXNXF
Rookie

Honestly I never considered any of that or that it would not be comfortable, I just didn't want to worry about a flat tire LOL, I am also on lowering springs RSR and I love the way the car drives but maybe I am not a good judge of the ride. Maybe I will consider these things when my tires ware out next time.
Old 01-30-22, 09:08 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

We're on the same page!

I had runflats on my SC and I hated them. Ended up buying Michelins to replace them.

- They are expensive
- Ride was harder than non-runflats
- Once they are punctured/flat, and they fix themselves, you have to REPLACE it at your earliest convenience (that's my understanding).

On the plus side, and this COULD be a biggie depending on your situation, is that if you get a flat and it fixes itself, then you don't have to stop and replace the tire - you can keep driving!

I was very disappointed to learn that the 2022 comes with runflats!
Old 02-02-22, 07:59 AM
LEXNXF
Rookie

Honestly, I don't think I notice a bad ride, maybe I am not savvy enough to know the difference. I just like the fact that if I get a nail in my tire I am not in trouble. It gives me a little more peace of mind. Maybe when it's time to replace tires, I will reach out here for better advice. I kinda thought tires were tires. LOL

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
We're on the same page!

I had runflats on my SC and I hated them. Ended up buying Michelins to replace them.

- They are expensive
- Ride was harder than non-runflats
- Once they are punctured/flat, and they fix themselves, you have to REPLACE it at your earliest convenience (that's my understanding).

On the plus side, and this COULD be a biggie depending on your situation, is that if you get a flat and it fixes itself, then you don't have to stop and replace the tire - you can keep driving!

I was very disappointed to learn that the 2022 comes with runflats!
Old 11-09-22, 06:02 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I read these posts with concern before I had our NX 350 H. However, after a little over 1000 miles, I’m not at all unhappy with the ride or the handling of the run flats.
Old 11-10-22, 04:33 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXNXF
Hey everyone, maybe this is a stupid questions but I was wondering if anyone has taken out their spare tire and used that space for extra storage? I have run flat tires and AAA premium, I also don't see myself changing a tire. Would this be a bad move, anything I should consider?
Pic for attention.
Well, if you happen to have a total blowout of a tire, you'll be stuck. The advantage to carrying the spare (hopefully, just a donut) is that you WOULD be able to swap out the bad tire with the spare. Otherwise, AAA will probably charge you somewhere between $250-$450. And even then, it's NOT (generally) a good idea to replace a single tire - you would want to replace them either in pairs, or all 4 at once.
I suppose the answer would depend upon how important that extra space is for you. Of course you'll also save a tad in gas costs without the tire in there, but that's probably negligible.
Figure out how important that extra room is for you, consider how many miles you drive (fuel efficiency), and then make your decision on that. If it were me, I'd at least keep a donut in there.
The following users liked this post:
joebobjone (06-18-23)
Old 11-10-22, 12:03 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 22 NX350h with run flats. I can honestly say the run flats are a dream compared to the 20" Continental tires on a trade in of a Caddy XT4. The Continentals were harsh and hard and noisy.

The run flats are quiet, smooth and soft to ride on. I have to go over 3 speed bumps every day and it is totally different than the regular tires I was used to. Now I go over the bumps without any harsh bumps.

Also, I blew the side wall out after hitting a curb in the dark on one of the continentals. It was destroyed, so I called AAA and also Cadillac roadside. It took about an hour and half before someone showed up. This was on a sunday and no one was on call in my area, which was in town and near a AAA garage about 4 miles. I will never rely on AAA again. It all depends on who AAA hires as a vendor for road repairs. It will vary on where you are at.. The Cadillac roadside guy showed up after driving 35 miles from a nearby town.

So here is one vote for run flats!!! If you get a flat you can still dive to a repair facility and not have to wait for AAA to maybe show up.

Old 11-11-22, 07:25 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Eventually, I think runflats (with TPMS) will be standard on all vehicles, even if the car has its own spare.

Just a matter of the car companies and tire manufacturers coming together on it.

All of my flats in my lifetime we’re due to nails, screws, bolts and metal debris on the road causing a slow leak that you only noticed after getting somewhere in the middle of no where, or in that neighborhood you do not want to get stuck in.

Its well worth the extra cost to ensure my spouse and my kids WILL make it home safely , where dealing with the tire repair will be safer than on the side of the road.
Old 11-13-22, 10:33 AM
romer
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Doug007--

What size are your run flats--18 or 20 inch?

Thanks.
Old 11-16-22, 10:28 AM
LEXNXF
Rookie

They are 20s
Old 11-25-22, 10:30 PM
romer
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Is there any other vendor than Modern Spare for buying a space saver spare tire for the NX 350h? Seems like a niche business so they may be the only option. But thought I’d ask this group.

Quick Reply: Spare tire well for storage?