NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus nx oil change concern - does this oil look new or old?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-22, 05:34 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Unfortunately, sometimes we have to learn things the HARD way. I'm of the opinion that if you do learn something the HARD way, it will be more ingrained in your head and you're more apt to remember it.

For many, many years of being a DIYer, I've paid attention to some of the things that have torque specs, but not all. Well, a few months ago I learned my lesson and now I'm more apt to think twice about tightening something (such as spark plugs). I had a horrible situation recently where I tightened my oil filter canister on my 2020 Lexus NX - TOO tight. When it came time to remove it, it was a struggle and I broke a hold in it. I didn't even realize I broke the canister until I started the engine! Good thing I never ran the engine more than 10 seconds until I realized what had happened. Well, then I went back to researching this situation and, after glancing at about 10 postings/videos I finally found someone who suggested TORQUING it to spec! Who would've thought? All these years I've always just tightened my oil filters/canisters without torquing. When it came time to replace that canister, I really wanted the OEM (which is hard plastic). But 3rd parties offer these METAL ones, which you would think would be better! I'm pretty much an OEM guy. So I decided to order an OEM canister AND torque it when I replace the filter. That's what I do now! Surprise - when you torque it, it doesn't even seem like it's tight enough - but it is! Haven't had the problem again, and expect I never will.

When it came time to do my plugs, I decided I'll be a good boy and torque them. NEVER in my life have I ever torqued plugs! I'm a changed man now. I have my large torque wrench (ft pounds) and my smaller one (inch pounds).

Some might say (especially after reading this post) that I'm quite a talker. Well, I'm not only quite a talker, but I'm also now quite a TORQUER
The following 2 users liked this post by LexMan2003:
Beamish (12-26-22), chas410 (12-16-22)
Old 12-16-22, 10:28 AM
Dralsor39
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new oil should show in Texture and color. Doesn't look new
Old 12-17-22, 03:23 PM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
Unfortunately, sometimes we have to learn things the HARD way. I'm of the opinion that if you do learn something the HARD way, it will be more ingrained in your head and you're more apt to remember it.

For many, many years of being a DIYer, I've paid attention to some of the things that have torque specs, but not all. Well, a few months ago I learned my lesson and now I'm more apt to think twice about tightening something (such as spark plugs). I had a horrible situation recently where I tightened my oil filter canister on my 2020 Lexus NX - TOO tight. When it came time to remove it, it was a struggle and I broke a hold in it. I didn't even realize I broke the canister until I started the engine! Good thing I never ran the engine more than 10 seconds until I realized what had happened. Well, then I went back to researching this situation and, after glancing at about 10 postings/videos I finally found someone who suggested TORQUING it to spec! Who would've thought? All these years I've always just tightened my oil filters/canisters without torquing. When it came time to replace that canister, I really wanted the OEM (which is hard plastic). But 3rd parties offer these METAL ones, which you would think would be better! I'm pretty much an OEM guy. So I decided to order an OEM canister AND torque it when I replace the filter. That's what I do now! Surprise - when you torque it, it doesn't even seem like it's tight enough - but it is! Haven't had the problem again, and expect I never will.

When it came time to do my plugs, I decided I'll be a good boy and torque them. NEVER in my life have I ever torqued plugs! I'm a changed man now. I have my large torque wrench (ft pounds) and my smaller one (inch pounds).

Some might say (especially after reading this post) that I'm quite a talker. Well, I'm not only quite a talker, but I'm also now quite a TORQUER
Sounds good, but are you also a spark plug indexer? Google spark plug indexing.
Old 12-18-22, 06:52 PM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Who does sparkplug indexing. Don't believe it's needed on our Lexus.