NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus nx oil change concern - does this oil look new or old?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-22, 06:40 AM
ACP84
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus nx oil change concern - does this oil look new or old?

I just had my oil change done at the dealership and when I checked this morning the oil seems dark, almost the same colour as the oil I previously had with 10,000 miles on it.

Should I be concerned? or is this how new lexus oil should look like?

Thanks

Old 07-05-22, 07:15 AM
jonnyyaa
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

does not look new to me. does it look almost clear on dipstick or dark?
Old 07-05-22, 07:17 AM
ACP84
Driver

it definitely didnt look clear on the dipstick, maybe a little lighter. I sent a photo to the dealership will see what they say
Old 07-05-22, 09:47 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

As soon as I get my vehicle after service at the dealership, I pop the hood, take a good look around for any oil drips and spills in the engine area, pull the dipstick and check the level and oil condition.
One time I could tell the oil had obviously not been changed based on the level and color of used oil on the dipstick, plus the really dirty oil filter that had not been changed.
Dealership apologized and performed services, with the excuse that the paperwork was mishandled and the car jockeys thought it was completed already.
Yours definitely looks too dirty to be considered freshly changed.
The following users liked this post:
NJLEXES (07-05-22)
Old 07-05-22, 11:49 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Well, yet another reason why doing it yourself is BETTER.

I buy the oil at COSTCO - $30 for 6 quarts of Mobil-1 Synthetic. I buy the oil filters via the internet from some Lexus dealer clear across the country - usually about $5 apiece with oil plug gasket included.

Total cost for the oil change - $31 and not a lot of time.

This oil change is THE EASIEST, SIMPLEST of any vehicle I've ever owned. I only jacked up the car ONCE, the first time I did the service. Once I knew where everything was situated, I no longer need to even lift up the car. Just lay down on the ground, on top of a piece of cardboard, and do the job. SIMPLE!
Old 07-05-22, 01:46 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ACP84
I just had my oil change done at the dealership and when I checked this morning the oil seems dark, almost the same colour as the oil I previously had with 10,000 miles on it.

Should I be concerned? or is this how new lexus oil should look like?

Thanks
how long ago was the oil change? Turbo charged engines darken the oil much quicker. Not only is the turbo and turbo bearings hard on the oil - the increased chamber pressures and blow-by will darken the oil quicker.

Old 07-05-22, 02:00 PM
ACP84
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
how long ago was the oil change? Turbo charged engines darken the oil much quicker. Not only is the turbo and turbo bearings hard on the oil - the increased chamber pressures and blow-by will darken the oil quicker.
the engine was changed 3 days ago, maybe 100miles since then
Old 07-05-22, 07:39 PM
ACP84
Driver

So the dealer called me today saying they checked the cameras and talked to the technician and said it was indeed changed. He said to come in so they can check it in person but indicated that the Lexus synthetic oil is darker then conventional oil … I don’t know how to prove if they are lying or not 🤷‍♂️
Old 07-06-22, 06:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

So the dealer called me today saying they checked the cameras and talked to the technician and said it was indeed changed. He said to come in so they can check it in person but indicated that the Lexus synthetic oil is darker then conventional oil … I don’t know how to prove if they are lying or not 🤷‍♂️
Most Lexus dealer would not risk their reputation to save a few dollars on a oil change. If you want to find out if they changed the oil or not, you could send the oil out to blackstone lab and have it tested, I remember experiencing the same issue 2 weeks after an oil change on a turbo engine, the oil get really dark fast.
Old 07-06-22, 02:54 PM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

the engine was changed 3 days ago, maybe 100miles since then
Your initial post made it seem like you checked the next morning after the change.

The oil is starting to look more normal now.
Old 07-06-22, 04:34 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

I changed my oil in early April (Castrol Edge full synthetic). This is what it looks like today. Appearance is identical to when I checked my oil ~3 months after my "complimentary" change by the Lexus dealer.

I am not buying any of the BS about turbochargers and direct injection prematurely darkening the oil.
The words "Lexus Oil" should have been an obvious clue to the truth. There is no such product as "Lexus Oil" (or Toyota Oil). Lexus does not make motor oil, nor do they make transmission fluid, windshield washer fluid, or engine coolant. I worked at a new car dealership while in college; all of these commodities are purchased in bulk from major manufacturers.

The following users liked this post:
Jam008 (08-06-22)
Old 07-06-22, 04:38 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

The next thing they tell you will be Canadian oil is darker because the angle of the sun is lower than here in New England .
Ask them to show you the drilling rig at the far corner of their property.
Old 07-07-22, 04:38 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Most Lexus dealer would not risk their reputation to save a few dollars on a oil change.
I certainly agree with you.
HOWEVER...mistakes are made, corners are sometimes cut.
Here's a scenario...The young mechanic wanted to make a phone call, which lasted a bit longer than he had expected. When he returned to the vehicle he decided to NOT change the oil to recoup the 10 minutes he spent on the phone!

Old 07-07-22, 05:39 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by n0v8or
...I am not buying any of the BS about turbochargers and direct injection prematurely darkening the oil.
Compare to naturally aspirated engines, the oil in turbo charged engines typically darkens much quicker as it runs though very hot turbo.
Old 07-07-22, 06:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Compare to naturally aspirated engines, the oil in turbo charged engines typically darkens much quicker as it runs though very hot turbo.
I must agree, I have owned forced induction cars for many years and all of them are hard on oil. That is the reason why European cars are so strict on their oil specs. Toyota oil is made by Exxon-Mobil which is pretty reputable. The color of oil does not indicate the effectiveness or the age of the oil, get a lab test if you want to be sure,

Quick Reply: Lexus nx oil change concern - does this oil look new or old?