Replacing cracked grille on '17 200t

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-22, 11:53 AM
TernKev
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing cracked grille on '17 200t

Hi All,
New to forum. I want to replace the damaged grille on our 2017 NX 200t. I am having a hard time finding videos, detailed diagrams, or even pictures of the steps needed. Is it like the Toyota grilles where you take two screws out and pop a couple of clips? Or will I have to basically take half the front end apart to loosen screws or clips on the bottom? I am about a half a step above novice when it comes to mechanical things. Youtube is my copilot on these projects except I can't find any videos of our make and model. Any suggestions? Trying real hard not to go to mechanic or dealer.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 09-29-22, 11:55 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by TernKev
Hi All,
New to forum. I want to replace the damaged grille on our 2017 NX 200t. I am having a hard time finding videos, detailed diagrams, or even pictures of the steps needed. Is it like the Toyota grilles where you take two screws out and pop a couple of clips? Or will I have to basically take half the front end apart to loosen screws or clips on the bottom? I am about a half a step above novice when it comes to mechanical things. Youtube is my copilot on these projects except I can't find any videos of our make and model. Any suggestions? Trying real hard not to go to mechanic or dealer.

Thanks in advance!!!
Welcome and see attached for detailed instructions. The bumper has to come off. I never did it on my NX but on the GS it was a bunch of steps but only takes a few hours for the grille swap. There's the extra step of removing the black wheel arch moldings and replacing them with clips and a special double sided tape.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Lexus NX Grille R&R.zip (2.97 MB, 137 views)

Last edited by BMGS; 09-29-22 at 11:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GS3Tek (09-30-22)
Old 09-29-22, 12:32 PM
TernKev
2nd gear

Talking

Originally Posted by BMGS
Welcome and see attached for detailed instructions. The bumper has to come off. I never did it on my NX but on the GS it was a bunch of steps but only takes a few hours for the grille swap. There's the extra step of removing the black wheel arch moldings and replacing them with clips and a special double sided tape.

Thank you so much for the quick and detailed reply! Greatly appreciated! Hardest part will be finding a couple hours to work on it! Bright side of that is my wife will REALLY OWE me one!
Old 09-30-22, 06:36 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by TernKev
Thank you so much for the quick and detailed reply! Greatly appreciated! Hardest part will be finding a couple hours to work on it! Bright side of that is my wife will REALLY OWE me one!
No worries, I had prepared that for a family member a few years back but they didn't go through with it after reading through it. If its anything like my GS or any other bumper I have pulled, it will come off quickly and most of the time will be spent with the many screws to remove the grille.

The bumper should go back in pretty quick but take a bit longer than taking it off. You'll want to prepare a bench or something with soft towels to lay the bumper when you pull it off. You won't be able to lay it on the ground right away since there will be some electrical connectors that need to pop off first. If you are doing this alone then you need to lay it on something about the same height of the mounted bumper so you can disconnect those cables.

If you can't find an NX specific bumper removal video, search for a later model RX or even an IS just to get familiar with how Lexus engineers the attachments, its pretty similar across the models.

As far as finding time, I now carve out the EARLY morning to work on all car stuff. If I get up at 2-3AM, that's 3-4 solid hours to get a job done.

Last edited by BMGS; 09-30-22 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-09-24, 05:42 PM
lexustx1
1st Gear

Question Help please

Originally Posted by BMGS
No worries, I had prepared that for a family member a few years back but they didn't go through with it after reading through it. If its anything like my GS or any other bumper I have pulled, it will come off quickly and most of the time will be spent with the many screws to remove the grille.

The bumper should go back in pretty quick but take a bit longer than taking it off. You'll want to prepare a bench or something with soft towels to lay the bumper when you pull it off. You won't be able to lay it on the ground right away since there will be some electrical connectors that need to pop off first. If you are doing this alone then you need to lay it on something about the same height of the mounted bumper so you can disconnect those cables.

If you can't find an NX specific bumper removal video, search for a later model RX or even an IS just to get familiar with how Lexus engineers the attachments, its pretty similar across the models.

As far as finding time, I now carve out the EARLY morning to work on all car stuff. If I get up at 2-3AM, that's 3-4 solid hours to get a job done.

Hi there,
My hubs has removed the bumper, but now he can't remove OEM grill from my 17 nx200t. The bottom part is like glued into it. He managed to get the top lose, but now frustrated. Any way you can give some tips on how to remove grill?? TYIA