NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2020 Malfunction in the Electronic control Engine, Throttle or Automatic Transimssion

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-23, 10:25 AM
OMGLexus
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2020 Malfunction in the Electronic control Engine, Throttle or Automatic Transimssion

Hello,
I am wondering if any of you have received this error message and how it was addressed. This popped up recently on my 2020 Lexus NX 300.
"A malfunction in the electronic control of the engine, throttle, or automatic transmission has been detected. Contact your Lexus dealer in order to have your vehicle inspected."
Appreciate your help.

NX300 2020 Error

Last edited by OMGLexus; 01-07-23 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added model year
Old 01-08-23, 04:53 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 157 Likes on 106 Posts

A corresponding trouble code should be stored in the powertrain control computer that any Lexus or Toyota dealer can read with their Techstream scan tool.
Old 02-02-23, 05:22 PM
claarn
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

@OMGLexus I’m curious if you found out what the issue was with this error.
Our 2019 NX with 34k miles has randomly had a few instances of not having any throttle response when attempting to WOP in traffic. We haven’t had this message display or any check engine lights or stored codes.
Today is the third time we’ve noticed it in the last month.
It’s my wife’s car and she does about a 15min / 3mile commute each way three days a week. We always run Costco 93 gas and I just changed the spark plugs this past weekend.
My scanner was reading the short term fuel trim at idle to be -1.6% and long term is -5.5%.
Going to try cleaning the MAF tomorrow and check the air filter.
Any insight is appreciated.
Old 02-19-23, 03:56 PM
OMGLexus
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by claarn
@OMGLexus I’m curious if you found out what the issue was with this error.
Our 2019 NX with 34k miles has randomly had a few instances of not having any throttle response when attempting to WOP in traffic. We haven’t had this message display or any check engine lights or stored codes.
Today is the third time we’ve noticed it in the last month.
It’s my wife’s car and she does about a 15min / 3mile commute each way three days a week. We always run Costco 93 gas and I just changed the spark plugs this past weekend.
My scanner was reading the short term fuel trim at idle to be -1.6% and long term is -5.5%.
Going to try cleaning the MAF tomorrow and check the air filter.
Any insight is appreciated.
@claarn It ended up needing a new transmission which was fully covered under warranty.
Old 02-20-23, 06:53 AM
Sandy4198
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OMGLexus
@claarn It ended up needing a new transmission which was fully covered under warranty.
Wow. Don’t see that often with Lexus.
Old 02-21-23, 01:10 PM
RafalPL
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear about this problem

Just my recommendation Costco gas is very bad it’s say top their but engine is noisy and car runs wreak I tested and better mileage quiet engine gives Shell,BP,Mobil1.
Old 02-22-23, 02:40 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RafalPL
Just my recommendation Costco gas is very bad it’s say top their but engine is noisy and car runs wreak I tested and better mileage quiet engine gives Shell,BP,Mobil1.
Do you care to elaborate about “bad Costco gas”? Provide few details of why/how, if you will, please. I heard this myth before and, so far nobody was able to corroborate it with technical explanation.

Just FYI, both of my current cars, as many cars before these, see almost nothing but Costco gas. Over many years I saw no issues with this gas whatsoever. And when occasionally I use Shell or BP gas I see no difference in performance or how the car behaves.
Old 02-22-23, 04:30 PM
RafalPL
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Do you care to elaborate about “bad Costco gas”? Provide few details of why/how, if you will, please. I heard this myth before and, so far nobody was able to corroborate it with technical explanation.

Just FYI, both of my current cars, as many cars before these, see almost nothing but Costco gas. Over many years I saw no issues with this gas whatsoever. And when occasionally I use Shell or BP gas I see no difference in performance or how the car behaves.
I have two cars and Lexus run so bad on Costco gas engine gets louder and MPG is less I don’t know why if I go to BP or Shell is ok. But I see how computer after refill adjust car shift is longer engine is louder this is what I see and hear from my Lexus.
Another car take regular gas and there I don’t see much difference besides 1/2mpg less.
Old 02-22-23, 06:04 PM
Rjngo
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Been using Costco gas for more than 10 years and not a single problem on any of our cars…including the NX 👍🏻
Old 02-22-23, 06:07 PM
Rjngo
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

sorry to hear about this problem

Your recommendation of avoiding Costco gas has nothing to do with the above transmission issue…just saying 🤷
The following users liked this post:
Lex2000TL (02-22-23)
Old 02-22-23, 06:58 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I have two cars and Lexus run so bad on Costco gas engine gets louder and MPG is less I don’t know why if I go to BP or Shell is ok. But I see how computer after refill adjust car shift is longer engine is louder this is what I see and hear from my Lexus.
Another car take regular gas and there I don’t see much difference besides 1/2mpg less.
My only guess will be that your particular Costco may have water or sediment in their gas tank(s). Then, when you happened to buy gas with its level in Costco tank low, you pumped some bad stuff in.
Old 02-22-23, 07:00 PM
RafalPL
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
My only guess will be that your particular Costco may have water or sediment in their gas tank(s). Then, when you happened to buy gas with its level in Costco tank low, you pumped some bad stuff in.

maybe I don’t know what’s going in this Costco