NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Replacing run flat tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-23 | 09:53 AM
Mrnovanova
Driver

Originally Posted by lexxxxus
Anyone has done this? If yes could you please share your experience, pros & cons? Thanks!
I got regular tires the week after I got the car. I originally wanted 20 inch rims but in Canada they came with the Luxury package for an extra 5k. So I got a sweet deal for a set of 19" rims tires included for $1200. I was looking for a median between aesthetics and comfort and 19 inch was the sweet spot.

The difference is noticeable once you get them. A lot of the sounds I attributed to road noise were actually caused by the wheels. Depending on the tires you get you'll get a much more comfortable and quiet ride. My only struggle was finding aftermarket TPMS sensors. Had to by OEM ones. The thread I started "TPMS registration woes" has more details.
Old 03-09-23 | 08:54 PM
KLOCQ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Doug007

The jack provided by Modern Spare is in the bubble wrap to prevent any rattling along with the sockets for the OEM and winter tires. I only carry the actual spare tire in the carrying case when traveling remotely or on long trips.
Problem is, on a long trip one would likely need the trunk space for luggages and such. You carry a spare tire in the trunk? Have you actually done this or this is your plan?
Old 03-10-23 | 08:55 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I am wondering how you store the spare, jack and wrench. There is no place designed for it in the back. Can you post a photo of how it looks?

thanks
I would be happy to except the pictures are way to big. I have them in "my pictures". HELP!!
Old 03-11-23 | 05:35 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by 43sbest
I would be happy to except the pictures are way to big. I have them in "my pictures". HELP!!
There are free apps out there that let you resize your photos.
Old 03-11-23 | 05:12 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

There are free apps out there that let you resize your photos.
I resized them to 25% but when I upload them they are still the same size-------------never had this problem on other forums or ebay. I'd be happy to email them to you.
Old 03-11-23 | 05:45 PM
harper7
Pit Crew

I resized them to 25% but when I upload them they are still the same size-------------never had this problem on other forums or ebay. I'd be happy to email them to you.
No need to shrink!
This forum's software auto sizes uploads which is a nice touch really.
Most forums have a maximum file size upload of less then like 150kb so you have to keep shrinking until they fit. Now that is a PITA!
Old 03-11-23 | 06:40 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

I am wondering how you store the spare, jack and wrench. There is no place designed for it in the back. Can you post a photo of how it looks?

thanks
I finally figured out how to post the photos (3). The tire is a 165/90 18 mounted on a steel wheel that has been cut down on the back side in width to accept the 165, the holes have the ball seat to accept the lug bolt. I carry items as pictured, two 14.5X1.5 alignment pins, slip joint and needle nose pliers that are in the bag with a tire plug kit also a 12 volt air compressor. I had all of this "stuff" from our last 2 or 3 cars except the alignment pins (which are a must have). The jack is from a 2019 Mazda CX9. The lug bolts on the NX are factory torqued to 95lbs which is a lot, most cars, trucks, suvs etc. torque to 85lbs. Although the "Modern Spare" has a nice wheel the tire is a 155/90 18 which is OK I guess. I would question if the supplied lug wrench can break loose a 95lb lug bolt without bending, it took all I had to break one loose with the 18" 1/2" drive breaker bar when I had the run flats. I had the tire shop torque the lug bolts to 90lbs when I put the 245s on. I carry the tire as pictured and the other items below. The 165 is 1/10 larger in diameter than the 245. as you can see it doesn't take up a lot of room in the rear, 29.7" in diameter.

Old 03-14-23 | 12:12 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

I finally figured out how to post the photos (3). The tire is a 165/90 18 mounted on a steel wheel that has been cut down on the back side in width to accept the 165, the holes have the ball seat to accept the lug bolt. I carry items as pictured, two 14.5X1.5 alignment pins, slip joint and needle nose pliers that are in the bag with a tire plug kit also a 12 volt air compressor. I had all of this "stuff" from our last 2 or 3 cars except the alignment pins (which are a must have). The jack is from a 2019 Mazda CX9. The lug bolts on the NX are factory torqued to 95lbs which is a lot, most cars, trucks, suvs etc. torque to 85lbs. Although the "Modern Spare" has a nice wheel the tire is a 155/90 18 which is OK I guess. I would question if the supplied lug wrench can break loose a 95lb lug bolt without bending, it took all I had to break one loose with the 18" 1/2" drive breaker bar when I had the run flats. I had the tire shop torque the lug bolts to 90lbs when I put the 245s on. I carry the tire as pictured and the other items below. The 165 is 1/10 larger in diameter than the 245. as you can see it doesn't take up a lot of room in the rear, 29.7" in diameter.

We haven't receive our NX hybrid yet, but that's exactly the setup I will use as soon as those dang RFs are worn down, but I will buy some type of wheel cover to cover it up. Wife is not gonna like it, I tell her "Well that's life"
Old 03-14-23 | 01:02 PM
FWCA
Pit Crew

An unsecured spare tire in the trunk may be a hazard to the occupants in the car in a crash.
Old 03-14-23 | 01:12 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by FWCA
An unsecured spare tire in the trunk may be a hazard to the occupants in the car in a crash.

of course. It will be tied down for sure.
Old 03-16-23 | 05:02 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

This is true, the key word is "may". The rear full of luggage, cooler and other stuff can also be a hazard. No spare is is not a great idea ether (IMHO). I'll probably tie it down with a piece of rope to the top brackets at the left and right sides behind the rear seats. There is no good way to secure it to the cargo deck.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (03-16-23)
Old 03-22-23 | 09:46 AM
Droid13
Racer

This is true, the key word is "may". The rear full of luggage, cooler and other stuff can also be a hazard. No spare is is not a great idea ether (IMHO). I'll probably tie it down with a piece of rope to the top brackets at the left and right sides behind the rear seats. There is no good way to secure it to the cargo deck.
Do you not have the 4 cargo hooks at the four corners of the trunk floor? Use a floor cargo net connected at each of the corners?
Old 06-21-23 | 06:07 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Droid13
Do you not have the 4 cargo hooks at the four corners of the trunk floor? Use a floor cargo net connected at each of the corners?
the cargo hooks will not support the tire/tie downs. They will break loose. They are not welded to the body. They are attached with a thin pin/rod. Do not trust them.
Old 06-22-23 | 01:40 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

I was putting my Modern Spare in the back because we were going to Daytona Beach for a week. Wanted to have it just in case. Anyway, I've seen this post as well as others comments about flying hazards. I'm not so sure it is that bad of a hazard. I looked at it and got the tape measure out. There is NOT enough room between the car's ceiling and the tops of the 3 headrests for the tire to fit through. I also am not so sure that the spare can get up enough steam to snap 4 the solid steel headrest posts to allow and the tire to continue on its path of destruction as you suggest.

Having said that, I also thought about the fact that I never secure luggage, groceries, coolers, or anything else when I put it in the back. So what makes carrying the spare back there any different that one should secure it to the vehicle?

Just saying.....

The following users liked this post:
bt10 (06-23-23)
Old 06-22-23 | 02:44 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Anything loose back there is hazardous. It’s not a problem until it’s a problem.

Quick Reply: Replacing run flat tire?