NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Replacing run flat tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 03:36 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
Anything loose back there is hazardous. It’s not a problem until it’s a problem.
Understand. If the headrests are supposed to protect occupants from getting their necks broke, I'm not so confident the spare will hit the backs of the headrests with enough force to snap 2 headrests without slowing to momentum to cause harm occupants. Is there a chance? Sure. But realistically I fear the windshield and side glass poses more a danger than the spare flying around. And like I mentioned earlier, unless you secure EVERYTHING in your vehicle, there are a lot of smaller items I'd be worried about. But you be you. I just hope your cellphone sitting on the charger doesn't fly and hit an occupant and put an eye out.
Old 06-22-23, 05:37 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtLip
I just hope your cellphone sitting on the charger doesn't fly and hit an occupant and put an eye out.
Good point. Seriously and sadly we would not be having this discussion if the auto makers didn’t cheap out…. Or at least leave the cargo well open to accommodate a secured spare.

Last edited by Sounds; 06-22-23 at 05:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sounds:
SgtLip (06-22-23), weaver483 (07-08-23)
Old 06-22-23, 05:45 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
Good point. Seriously and sadly we would not be having this discussion if the auto makers didn’t cheap out.
And that is the TRUTH. They chumped out by using a one piece lug instead of a lug and a nut. Then they decide not to put a jack or any of the necessary tools to change a tire but they sell you the styrofoam holder for the equipment so you can find and buy it. And lastly they put these crappy tires on the car. They tell you that you cannot drive more than 50 miles and you have to drive less than 50 miles if one goes flat. Oh yeah, and you can't reuse a tire once flat nor are you allowed to run them on a different vehicle.

So the US Government screwed us with TPMS and the car makers are screwing us with spares and accessories. AMAZING that we tolerate this crap.

Just my opinion.

EDIT: Forgot to put the part in about the towing pin. They provide the pin but in the manual it says to use the lug wrench to install the tow pin. But they didn't tell you they didn't provide the lug wrench.

Last edited by SgtLip; 06-22-23 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added to post
The following users liked this post:
weaver483 (07-08-23)
Old 06-22-23, 06:03 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtLip
And that is the TRUTH. They chumped out by using a one piece lug instead of a lug and a nut. Then they decide not to put a jack or any of the necessary tools to change a tire but they sell you the styrofoam holder for the equipment so you can find and buy it. And lastly they put these crappy tires on the car. They tell you that you cannot drive more than 50 miles and you have to drive less than 50 miles if one goes flat. Oh yeah, and you can't reuse a tire once flat nor are you allowed to run them on a different vehicle.

So the US Government screwed us with TPMS and the car makers are screwing us with spares and accessories. AMAZING that we tolerate this crap.

Just my opinion.

EDIT: Forgot to put the part in about the towing pin. They provide the pin but in the manual it says to use the lug wrench to install the tow pin. But they didn't tell you they didn't provide the lug wrench.
We’re in deep doo. They could be honest and say Screw You instead of saying it’s good for fuel economy. I had a Chevy that came with non run flats … came with a Mickey Mouse compressor and can of Donald Duck SLIME. My first and last GM. No spare in the NX did jolt me. Anyway the Modern Spare should be white. It is a lifesaver.
edit: I did buy the lug pins (what ever they are called)

Last edited by Sounds; 06-23-23 at 07:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (06-22-23)
Old 06-25-23, 01:38 AM
Billst
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I live in the U.K. but now do most of my driving in Europe but also hire cars in the US. I started with cross ply’s on a Ford Anglia and had 3 blow outs in one year - hardly dared to drive over 40mph. I then moved to Volvo again still crossply then, but had no tyre problem in 4 yrs, 80,000 miles. My next was a Merc300. Radials this time. 120,000 miles and only “lost” 2 tyres. Almost no road noise. Also had during that time a Land Rover Safari. Tyres you would normally find on a tractor. Small mileage as kept for winter. Glad I had no tyre problems as I could hardly lift the spare off the bonnet (hood). But they taught me about tyre noise even above the engine noise of the LR. My next car was one of the original Audi Quattro. Cruising at over 120mph, never had a tyre problem in over 8 years and 140,000 miles, just normal wear. Then had a hire car in Florida, scared the hell out of me every time I cornered and decided I would never have cross ply again. Apart from another Merc (silent) I then went to an X3 with runflats. Decided never to have runflats again, so noisy, but then I was sometimes at 120mph in Germany. I did have three occasions when I needed the runflats and found anything above 20 miles and the tyre was completely wrecked. I changed to “proper” tyres and fell in love with the X3. It became a different car and was as quiet as my Merc. Next car was a toyota. Exchanged that at only one year old. Great car but road noise prevented conversation. Currently have a RAV4. Still noticeable tyre noise. Decided to change to Lexus, NX450+ Takumi, currently on a ship off India. The biggest downside when ordering is that I had to have runflats. I will try them for a few thousand miles but full expect to throw them out. One of the biggest attraction of the Lexus is the reported quiet travel. Why ruin this with heavy walled runflats? But I might be surprised. …. and not looking forward to driving out of country with no spare.

Last edited by Billst; 06-25-23 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Added comment