NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Replacing run flat tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-23, 04:50 PM
lexxxxus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing run flat tire?

Anyone has done this? If yes could you please share your experience, pros & cons? Thanks!
Old 03-02-23, 06:03 PM
nx450plus
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Declined tire protection. In this case of flat was ineligible anyhow since no dealer in range. I had a front flat at 301 km of ownership. Was in rural area far away from Lexus dealer. Drove 35 km on the flat because the tow truck was going to be hours. Replaced flat and the other front tire with Goodyear Allweather which was only choice in 3 tire places. Have the surviving spare run flat that I will take with me if I go on a far far trip. No regrets. Plan was to swap out run flat tires eventually just not in first week of ownership
Old 03-02-23, 07:55 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I posted the two comments below on another thread a few weeks back. You can check out the thread on page 2 under "regular tire suggestions". One person (rogerh00 as you will see below) got down right upset when I commented about the run flats but that's his problem, it's my car!!. I'm more than pleased with the change to non run flats and would do it again in a heart beat.

I replaced the 235/50r20 run flats on my 2022 NX 350 AWD about two months back with 245/50R20 Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. They are the number one selling AS tire on Tire Rack.com and very highly rated. They have a tread wear rating of 800 and 11/32 of tread. The difference in ride quality and road noise is night and day. There is very little difference between the 235 and 245 but a lot more choices in the 245. I got mine from Amazon and had them installed at my local tire shop. You can compare the two sizes at
https://tiresize.com/calculator/. If you replace the tires DO NOT remove the metal valve stems or TPMS and have the installer mark the inside of each wheel LF,LR,RF & RR and reinstall the wheels in the same location as removed. The new technology in the 22 & 23 NX and 23 RX doesn't like changes!! You will not have to reprogram the TPMS "if your lucky", just drive about 10 or 15 miles. I will put the RF tires back on the NX when I trade next year and buy a set of 20 inch wheels for my 22 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E Black Edition and put the Pirelli's on the truck.
By the way the Pirelli's are not directional but do have and inside and outside.
Good luck

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I have run flats on my nx350h and have no issue with them. I don't understand all the negative posts about run flats. They are quiet and smooth riding and better than the Continental all seasons I had on the car previously. It seems to me like a cult like hate going on.

I don't think we have a "cult" issue here it's a tire issue and the Bridgestone's on the NX are about the worst run flats made, 400 treadwear rated and 9/32 tread = about 20,000 miles (made at the Bridgestone plant in Japan). The fact is the way run flat tires are made results in a more harsh ride than most non run flat AS tires. Manufactures don't just brand a tire "run Flat" out of the blue. The sidewall of all run flats is much more rigid than a non run flat, that's why they "run flat" -----------if your lucky. Cut a sidewall and your run flat will start to come apart if you travel a short distance just like a non run flat. When you have a flat with a run flat try to find a tire shop that stocks any-----------they don't because they can't sell them. You can pay $120,000 for a 23 LS500 and it's going to have the same Bridgestone's as the NX.
BMW probably started the run flat craze but now they offer non run flat options.
If you ( or any other NX owner) are happy with the run flats that's great. I don't have a problem with anyone that likes the run flats so why do you have a problem with NX owners that don't?

Have a great evening
The following 4 users liked this post by 43sbest:
Billst (06-24-23), lexxxxus (03-04-23), peteharvey (03-23-23), SgtLip (03-16-23)
Old 03-03-23, 04:39 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

https://modernspare.com/product/2023...e-kit-options/

Most people get rid of the run flats at the first tire change. If you are nervous, you can get the parts from lexus to carry a spare on the trunk floor, jack, etc, or get a bagged kit like linked above. I plan to get the kit and simply keep it in the garage and a spouse or kid can bring to car if needed. Take the bag on a long trip.
The following 5 users liked this post by bt10:
aredub (03-18-23), Doug007 (03-03-23), Infusion (03-14-23), peteharvey (03-23-23), SgtLip (03-16-23)
Old 03-04-23, 01:33 AM
lexxxxus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience! Definitely will check out the Pirelli tires!
Old 03-04-23, 08:31 AM
jardlr
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Wife had a blowout with an 18" run-flat (NX 350 Turbo) when the car was only a few months old. The tire was destroyed and she was able to safely drive 40 or so miles to the local tire shop. Because the tire model was so new, the tire shop wasn't going to be able to get a replacement for several months. We were able to bring it to the dealer and have it replaced as it was in stock.

That being said, I have mixed feelings on the run flats. I think they're loud, have a harder feel, way more expensive and have a lousy tread life compared to traditional tires, especially when driving 25k miles a year. However, my wife is a highway commuter for most of her driving and she really appreciated the safety of the run flat when she had the blowout. When I saw the damage to the tire, I got really scared of what could have happened at 75mph.

I guess it's all personal preference.
The following 2 users liked this post by jardlr:
blueless (03-04-23), hintonwood (03-04-23)
Old 03-04-23, 09:02 AM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Spare tire kit

https://modernspare.com/product/2023...e-kit-options/
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (06-26-23)
Old 03-05-23, 09:18 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 43sbest
I posted the two comments below on another thread a few weeks back. You can check out the thread on page 2 under "regular tire suggestions". One person (rogerh00 as you will see below) got down right upset when I commented about the run flats but that's his problem, it's my car!!. I'm more than pleased with the change to non run flats and would do it again in a heart beat.

I replaced the 235/50r20 run flats on my 2022 NX 350 AWD about two months back with 245/50R20 Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. They are the number one selling AS tire on Tire Rack.com and very highly rated. They have a tread wear rating of 800 and 11/32 of tread. The difference in ride quality and road noise is night and day. There is very little difference between the 235 and 245 but a lot more choices in the 245. I got mine from Amazon and had them installed at my local tire shop. You can compare the two sizes at
https://tiresize.com/calculator/. If you replace the tires DO NOT remove the metal valve stems or TPMS and have the installer mark the inside of each wheel LF,LR,RF & RR and reinstall the wheels in the same location as removed. The new technology in the 22 & 23 NX and 23 RX doesn't like changes!! You will not have to reprogram the TPMS "if your lucky", just drive about 10 or 15 miles. I will put the RF tires back on the NX when I trade next year and buy a set of 20 inch wheels for my 22 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E Black Edition and put the Pirelli's on the truck.
By the way the Pirelli's are not directional but do have and inside and outside.
Good luck

I have run flats on my nx350h and have no issue with them. I don't understand all the negative posts about run flats. They are quiet and smooth riding and better than the Continental all seasons I had on the car previously. It seems to me like a cult like hate going on.

I don't think we have a "cult" issue here it's a tire issue and the Bridgestone's on the NX are about the worst run flats made, 400 treadwear rated and 9/32 tread = about 20,000 miles (made at the Bridgestone plant in Japan). The fact is the way run flat tires are made results in a more harsh ride than most non run flat AS tires. Manufactures don't just brand a tire "run Flat" out of the blue. The sidewall of all run flats is much more rigid than a non run flat, that's why they "run flat" -----------if your lucky. Cut a sidewall and your run flat will start to come apart if you travel a short distance just like a non run flat. When you have a flat with a run flat try to find a tire shop that stocks any-----------they don't because they can't sell them. You can pay $120,000 for a 23 LS500 and it's going to have the same Bridgestone's as the NX.
BMW probably started the run flat craze but now they offer non run flat options.
If you ( or any other NX owner) are happy with the run flats that's great. I don't have a problem with anyone that likes the run flats so why do you have a problem with NX owners that don't?

Have a great evening
Thanks for using my name and comments. I guess you know it all. I don't have a problem if someone wants to change their tires to regular ones, but right after they bought it? It makes no sense to pour that money down the drain to me. I paid a $1310 upcharge for 20" RFT because I didn't have a choice. At the time I bought the dealer was not taking custom orders. You just took what came off the truck after waiting months. That is just my opinion the same as you have yours.

Also, If you swap out your RFT you have no spare. A spare tire kit costs $4-500 or you could wait for AAA or whoever to show up with a spare. I waited over 2 hours last time I had a flat waiting for AAA. No thanks. I'll use the RFT I paid for enjoying the quiet , smooth ride for now.

Have an even greater day!

Old 03-05-23, 09:08 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for using my name and comments. I guess you know it all. I don't have a problem if someone wants to change their tires to regular ones, but right after they bought it? It makes no sense to pour that money down the drain to me. I paid a $1310 upcharge for 20" RFT because I didn't have a choice. At the time I bought the dealer was not taking custom orders. You just took what came off the truck after waiting months. That is just my opinion the same as you have yours.

Also, If you swap out your RFT you have no spare. A spare tire kit costs $4-500 or you could wait for AAA or whoever to show up with a spare. I waited over 2 hours last time I had a flat waiting for AAA. No thanks. I'll use the RFT I paid for enjoying the quiet , smooth ride for now.

You are entitled to your opinion as am I (or anyone on this forum). Enjoy your RFs, hope you have good luck with them.
BTW I have a spare, jack and lug wrench, (not Modern Spare) paid about $300 for them.

Have a wonderful evening.

Stedman (03-07-23)
Old 03-06-23, 06:30 PM
Stedman
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep up at the lake, 125 miles from no where. Good luck on the AAA shown up ASAP.. Ill get a spare…. For the peace of mind.
romer (03-06-23)
Old 03-07-23, 01:04 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 43sbest
You are entitled to your opinion as am I (or anyone on this forum). Enjoy your RFs, hope you have good luck with them.
BTW I have a spare, jack and lug wrench, (not Modern Spare) paid about $300 for them.

Have a wonderful evening.
I am wondering how you store the spare, jack and wrench. There is no place designed for it in the back. Can you post a photo of how it looks?

thanks
Stedman (03-07-23)
Old 03-08-23, 07:50 AM
KLOCQ
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stedman
Yep up at the lake, 125 miles from no where. Good luck on the AAA shown up ASAP.. Ill get a spare…. For the peace of mind.
I'm wondering how and where you store the spare. Can you post a picture?
Old 03-09-23, 08:23 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by KLOCQ
I'm wondering how and where you store the spare. Can you post a picture?

The jack provided by Modern Spare is in the bubble wrap to prevent any rattling along with the sockets for the OEM and winter tires. I only carry the actual spare tire in the carrying case when traveling remotely or on long trips.
Old 03-09-23, 08:41 AM
mangust
Driver

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

@Doug007 , where is the doughnut?
Old 03-09-23, 09:47 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mangust
@Doug007 , where is the doughnut?
I keep the spare in the carrying case and only take it when traveling. I put it in the back and still have room for two carryons and a full size suitcase.
The following 3 users liked this post by Doug007:
blueless (03-09-23), bt10 (03-09-23), mangust (03-09-23)

Quick Reply: Replacing run flat tire?