Killer video recording feature for 2024 update

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-23, 09:53 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Killer video recording feature for 2024 update

As per translation from Japanese web site for the 2024 NX update:
  • Set the drive recorder (front and back) (manufacturer option). Always record camera images in front of and behind the vehicle in memory. Various recorded videos are played back on the display of the instrument panel center. You can check the video right away. You can transfer video data to your smartphone or USB memory*2 and carry it with you.

*You need to install the smartphone application "My Drive Recorder Viewer" to transfer and play to your smartphone.

Now fix up the 360 camera and the tech will start competing with the likes of BMW and Tesla.
The following 2 users liked this post by miop4000:
FMY421 (03-08-23), SgtLip (03-26-23)
Old 03-07-23, 03:02 AM
clmk
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I wonder if theres actually any new hardware or if they've just done it in firmware, and if its just in firmware, whether we'll perhaps get a pleasant surprise one day.
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (03-26-23)
Old 03-07-23, 05:38 AM
gwang267
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Would Love for this to just be a software update and we can get it on current NX's
QWER (03-29-23)
Old 03-07-23, 07:15 PM
jatwell
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a 22 NX and got a rather detailed survey from the Lexus advisory board asking about interest at various subscription price points. No indication if it would be on new models only or could apply to older models. Should only be a software
issue regardless.
Old 03-07-23, 07:47 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 569 Likes on 332 Posts

Sounds like their new OEM dash cams?
Old 03-08-23, 04:39 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Wow this is great technology, BMW already uses this it’s called Drive Recorder. I believe it’s an option but only $350 or something. So valuable if your ever in an accident. I hope they add this feature for the US.
Old 03-08-23, 09:12 AM
TheCDN
Intermediate

Received 163 Likes on 114 Posts

Aah! the mention of BMW just gave me a thought. Could this possibly be added (OTA) to previous built vehicles and charged an install fee or monthly service fee to have it activated? There's been a lot of discussion about these fees upcoming in near future, more and more service fees to use new downloaded tech as another revenue stream for manufacturers. BTW I have the Lexus dash cam, it's a bit of a pain to access as my phone automatically wants to connect CarPlay and in so doing it won't connect to dash cam. I have to shut CarPlay down, toggle bluetooth over to camera to make connection. Not a smooth process.
Old 03-09-23, 09:31 PM
FMY421
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I found this article from carsales.com.au. It talks about updates for the 2023 NX on sale in Japan now, and coming to Australia around mid year.
Finally, a new drive recorder can capture and store vision ahead and behind the vehicle, which can then be viewed on the infotainment display or transferred to a USB chip or smartphone via the My Drive Recorder Viewer app.
I also found vehicle PDFs for two 2023 RX 350 for sale in Texas, made in Japan, that list "Dash Cam" as $375 optional equipment.
https://www.ipacket.info/JTJCHMAA4P2004195#MSRP
https://www.ipacket.info/JTJCHMAA6P2004246#MSRP
The "dash cam" doesn't show up on the "included options" list on the pages for the two cars, so I guess this option won't make it onto the Monroney sticker.
https://www.sewelllexus-fortworth.co...ab50acce21.htm
https://www.sewelllexus-fortworth.co...aba2dc4e4f.htm
The other RX 350 made in Japan on that same dealer website don't list the Dash Cam option. I'm not sure if this Dash Cam option is the same as the "drive recorder" that's being discussed here, but my guess is yes. I haven't seen a dash cam on any Monroney stickers or on any NX models.

Some thoughts/speculation:
1. If the "dash cam" was included on that PDF from Japan, maybe the car was built with the dashcam hardware, and it can be enabled later with an update.
2. The article from Australia says the update is "due to arrive as a running change in Australia around mid-year" as a 2023 NX model. Maybe it could happen as a mid-year update for the North American market as well.
3. Different markets have different options. Maybe only the Japanese made cars will have this option. Or maybe only the models sold in Europe/Asia. At least for the 2023 model year.
4. It's likely to be optional equipment, not available as standard on all models.
Attached Files

Last edited by FMY421; 03-09-23 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-11-23, 04:57 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 613 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by FMY421
I found this article from carsales.com.au. It talks about updates for the 2023 NX on sale in Japan now, and coming to Australia around mid year.

I also found vehicle PDFs for two 2023 RX 350 for sale in Texas, made in Japan, that list "Dash Cam" as $375 optional equipment.
https://www.ipacket.info/JTJCHMAA4P2004195#MSRP
https://www.ipacket.info/JTJCHMAA6P2004246#MSRP
The "dash cam" doesn't show up on the "included options" list on the pages for the two cars, so I guess this option won't make it onto the Monroney sticker.
https://www.sewelllexus-fortworth.co...ab50acce21.htm
https://www.sewelllexus-fortworth.co...aba2dc4e4f.htm
The other RX 350 made in Japan on that same dealer website don't list the Dash Cam option. I'm not sure if this Dash Cam option is the same as the "drive recorder" that's being discussed here, but my guess is yes. I haven't seen a dash cam on any Monroney stickers or on any NX models.

Some thoughts/speculation:
1. If the "dash cam" was included on that PDF from Japan, maybe the car was built with the dashcam hardware, and it can be enabled later with an update.
2. The article from Australia says the update is "due to arrive as a running change in Australia around mid-year" as a 2023 NX model. Maybe it could happen as a mid-year update for the North American market as well.
3. Different markets have different options. Maybe only the Japanese made cars will have this option. Or maybe only the models sold in Europe/Asia. At least for the 2023 model year.
4. It's likely to be optional equipment, not available as standard on all models.
I think this is not the driver recorder option. This is the lexus integrated dashcam which is priced about the $300ish range.
FMY421 (03-11-23)
Old 03-25-23, 09:08 PM
Smooth2o
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just reserved a NX with dashcam for delivery about mid April.
Old 03-26-23, 09:31 AM
jgrnt1
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default My Drive Recorder Viewer

The "My Drive Recorder Viewer" app is available in the Apple app store from Toyota Motor Corporation, but the app is in Japanese. Does anyone here read Japanese? It might be interesting to see what the app says.
Old 03-26-23, 03:59 PM
Smooth2o
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Apple store app called Lexus Dash Cam is in English. But you can’t see anything unless you connect to the dash cam.
Old 03-27-23, 04:20 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

What’s the verdict on this for the 2024 model. Is it a dealer add on or a factory add on? I don’t even see it as an accessory on the build it now.
Old 03-27-23, 05:34 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
What’s the verdict on this for the 2024 model. Is it a dealer add on or a factory add on? I don’t even see it as an accessory on the build it now.
Think of it as when applecarplay was introduced.

The appropriate upgraded head unit needed to be installed and then activation was via a software update.

Pre 2018 NX models did not have the updated head unit with the required microprocessors so this feature could not be turned on via a software update. Post 2108 vehicles required a short visit to the dealer to download the new software file. This is now done via wifi ‘over the air’.

The only proviso with the new video recording system is that the car will need to have the 360 degree camera package.

If you have a 360 camera currently, you can already set it to automatically activate the front camera when the car slows. This gives you a broad birdseye view of an intersection.

The ability to record this video feed onto a usb stick is not available with the current hardware.

Post 2024 cars will have this ability. It is likely it can be activated via an over the air update with early 2024 models and then be preactivated at delivery.

It should be then quite straightforward with a further software update to be used a Lexus version of Tesla’s sentry mode.

Last edited by miop4000; 03-27-23 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-27-23, 05:59 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 613 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
Think of it as when applecarplay was introduced. The appropriate upgraded head unit needed to be installed and then activation was via a software update. Pre 2018 NX models did not have the updated head unit so this feature could not be turned on via a software update.

If you have a 360 camera currently, you can already set it to automatically activate the front camera when the car slows. This gives you a broad birdseye view of an intersection.

The ability to record this video feed onto a usb stick is not available with the current hardware. Post 2024 cars will have this ability.
It's highly possible, but it's also possible that the capability is there, just does not have the storage - we won't know until more information is provided. My 2018 didn't have CarPlay capability, but with software update that was possible.

Quick Reply: Killer video recording feature for 2024 update