Dealer waitlists?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-23, 08:15 AM
nrc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer waitlists?

Hi all,

First time buying a Lexus, and looking to get the NX450h+. Different dealers have different estimates on the wait time (some say 12-18 months, some say 18-24, I even had one tell me 3+ years). Two questions:

(1) Will the delivery time / wait time actual vary between dealers?
(2) Is it worthwhile to get on the wait list (and pay a refundable deposit) at multiple dealerships?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-23, 08:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It will likely be just as difficult at any other Lexus dealer. I am not surprised the wait is that long.
Old 03-28-23, 10:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

It can vary from dealer to dealer. Any dealer can place an order, if a dealer has an allocation for an order it can speed it up for you...thats how dealers substantiate ADMs with orders...because they have an allocation

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-28-23 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-29-23, 01:38 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 155 Posts

Dealers have different allocation. I believe they more they sell, the more allocation they get.
An S. Cal dealer called me yesterday and have one 450H+ in stock at MSRP, but want $998 for some BS coating. I declined, already reserved an NX350H at MSRP (arriving mid April) and no dealer addons. Personally I will never ever pay a penny over MSRP or any add ons, don't care if it is a limited editions Ferrari.

Old 03-29-23, 04:53 PM
chiguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

It is my personal opinion that how fast you get one of these is completely dependent on getting a salesperson at your dealership who is interested in fighting for you for one. I got on one dealer's list in September of 2021 for one. That dealer has still never contacted me with one available. I visited the dealer I got mine from in March of 2022 and they got me mine at end of July. The salesperson there stayed in touch every couple of weeks and wheeled and dealed with management to make getting me one a priority. He would contact me and ask, "what about this color? what about this interior?" and so forth when he thought he might be able to get one. In the end, I did have to compromise on color, and it was over MSRP, but I got it just before the federal tax incentive went away, so I came out ahead, since I hear they are still getting just as much for them with no incentives. Don't ask me why he seemed to take an interest in getting me to the top of their list, I have no idea, but I was very appreciative and love the car. Oh, and I've made 2 road trips to Philadelphia and one to Columbus, OH and used about 50 gallons of gas total in 8 months! My suggestion is just try to find a salesperson you like and seems to like you and stay in touch frequently so they keep you on their mind.
The following 3 users liked this post by chiguy:
Doug007 (04-03-23), FMY421 (03-29-23), harper7 (03-29-23)
Old 03-29-23, 05:49 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by chiguy
It is my personal opinion that how fast you get one of these is completely dependent on getting a salesperson at your dealership who is interested in fighting for you for one. I got on one dealer's list in September of 2021 for one. That dealer has still never contacted me with one available. I visited the dealer I got mine from in March of 2022 and they got me mine at end of July. The salesperson there stayed in touch every couple of weeks and wheeled and dealed with management to make getting me one a priority. He would contact me and ask, "what about this color? what about this interior?" and so forth when he thought he might be able to get one. In the end, I did have to compromise on color, and it was over MSRP, but I got it just before the federal tax incentive went away, so I came out ahead, since I hear they are still getting just as much for them with no incentives. Don't ask me why he seemed to take an interest in getting me to the top of their list, I have no idea, but I was very appreciative and love the car. Oh, and I've made 2 road trips to Philadelphia and one to Columbus, OH and used about 50 gallons of gas total in 8 months! My suggestion is just try to find a salesperson you like and seems to like you and stay in touch frequently so they keep you on their mind.
Exactly. Seems like the Salesperson in the SF Bay Area don't really care whether you buy it or not. I emailed all S. Cal dealers and within 15 minutes, the salesperson called and found an exact color combo that my wife wants. Told him I will take it BUT not a dime more than MSRP and absolutely no dealer add ons. Called me back within 5 minutes and agreed on MSRP/no add ons in writing. Reserved it with an deposit, it is en route, delivery most likely mid April.

Last edited by lexsc4; 03-29-23 at 06:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexsc4:
Doug007 (04-03-23), Lexus22563 (04-01-23)
Old 03-29-23, 05:50 PM
harper7
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by chiguy
Yep...It's all about the knowledge and dedication of a good salesman rather then the dealership. Some know how to find what your looking for in their regional twice monthly or monthly allotments the day they come out and lock in a vehicle . That is why they are top sellers. Most are clueless and sit on their **** watching videos all day hoping something comes in to match the one you want those are the ones that tell you 2-3 years . The few salesman who know how to find a vehicle don't share their knowledge with other salesman because they work on commission.

Tip: when you call a dealership ,ask to speak to the Sales Manager ONLY or for him/her to call you back. When you talk to them ,tell them your looking for a hard to locate vehicle and want the name of his top salesman of the year. That is usually who can find one the fastest and why they are the top salesman!
If your just calling a dealership and ask for sales ,it's pot luck who you get.

Last edited by harper7; 03-29-23 at 05:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by harper7:
chiguy (03-29-23), redhot47fl (04-01-23), Vitveet (03-30-23)
Old 04-01-23, 01:11 PM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by nrc
Hi all,

First time buying a Lexus, and looking to get the NX450h+
If you're in Florida. Go talk to JMLexus

JM Lexus in Margate, FL | Lexus Dealer near Me | Auto Service

Old 04-01-23, 01:34 PM
LilyTiger
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

I’d definitely get on the waitlist at multiple dealerships and put a deposit down. 3 years is a very long time for an NX, that’s the wait time for an LX and those are extremely hard to get. I think about 12 months is a better guess, of course depending how picky you are on color and packages. The top selling dealers do get more cars allocated to them.
Also, your check will expire after 6 months so don’t be too concerned about leaving a check at multiple dealerships. In my area they as for a $1k check to hold as a deposit.
Old 04-01-23, 02:28 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by nrc
Hi all,

First time buying a Lexus, and looking to get the NX450h+. Different dealers have different estimates on the wait time (some say 12-18 months, some say 18-24, I even had one tell me 3+ years). Two questions:

(1) Will the delivery time / wait time actual vary between dealers?
(2) Is it worthwhile to get on the wait list (and pay a refundable deposit) at multiple dealerships?

Thanks!
I know someone who just bought an 450H+ from Beverly Hills Lexus in S. Cal. and UNDER MSRP. I check their website and seems like they are discounting the 450H+, ES300H and RX350H. But no discount on the NX350H. Our 2024 NX350H is arriving Crown Lexus by mid April, at MSRP and no add ons.