NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Crooked Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-23, 08:23 PM
oahuboy
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crooked Steering Column

Is this normal? 2023 built in Japan. Steering column does not line up with the dash, it tilts to the right. Is it an easy fix?

Old 04-10-23, 08:40 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 561 Likes on 329 Posts

I’m sure it’s just the cover not being aligned right.
Old 04-10-23, 09:41 PM
LilyTiger
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Not normal. inspect the area around it more. Is there anything loose? Does anything else seem crooked? How is the steering; when the wheel is “straight” according to the steering column, how does the car drive? When the wheel is objectively straight, how does the car drive? Send more pics.

Is the instrument panel level? Download a level app on your phone and hold it on top of the instrument panel hood and the steering column.

It could be a panel that’s not straight, but taking a second look I see that even the windshield wiper stalk is tilting a bit lower. Not sure how extensive of a fix this is, because I’d assume the whole steering column is bolted into place somewhere—and I’m not sure how much into the car that goes.
Old 04-11-23, 04:02 PM
oahuboy
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LilyTiger
Not normal. inspect the area around it more. Is there anything loose? Does anything else seem crooked? How is the steering; when the wheel is “straight” according to the steering column, how does the car drive? When the wheel is objectively straight, how does the car drive? Send more pics.

Is the instrument panel level? Download a level app on your phone and hold it on top of the instrument panel hood and the steering column.

It could be a panel that’s not straight, but taking a second look I see that even the windshield wiper stalk is tilting a bit lower. Not sure how extensive of a fix this is, because I’d assume the whole steering column is bolted into place somewhere—and I’m not sure how much into the car that goes.
Nothing else seems loose or crooked. Steering is fine, when the steering wheel lines up with the instrument cluster, the car goes straight. When I line the steering wheel up with the crooked column it slowly veers to the right. The leveling app says the dash is level and the column is not. I have to take the car in to fix something that was damaged during shipping next week, I'll have them take a look at it then. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-13-23, 08:08 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

^that cover down there to the right looks like it's been pulled before (note the gap) i wonder if at some point during assembly, one of the factory workers had to take it all back apart, thus the apparent misalignment up top. Let us know what they say!
Old 08-22-23, 01:03 PM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oahuboy
Is this normal? 2023 built in Japan. Steering column does not line up with the dash, it tilts to the right. Is it an easy fix?

did you ever find a fix for this?