Second key fob

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-24, 06:22 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by GXWes
Don't accept the car without the 2nd key. If they say sorry. Walk out of the dealership with your money

They will get you a key that works. Could be a flat wallet key. Or even an old-style Valet key
When you were only getting one key fob, you always got two valet keys ...just not the second key fob. The flat wallet key is a an accessory you pay for and you get it right away. So, I am not sure what you are trying to say.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 05-12-24, 08:41 AM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
So, I am not sure what you are trying to say.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Lots of people have posted that received one FOB and nothing else

If I remember correctly. The wallet key came standard with the 2022 models. But then they made it an option to buy

On the old school Valet key. I haven’t gotten one of those since my 2007 RX

Im saying don’t accept the car with only one way to start it. Be it a digital key, wallet key or valet key

If the dealership says sorry. No can do

Walk out with your money. They sell keys all day long. They will get you one
The following users liked this post:
Sounds (05-12-24)
Old 05-12-24, 09:39 AM
midcow3
Racer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by GXWes
Lots of people have posted that received one FOB and nothing else

If I remember correctly. The wallet key came standard with the 2022 models. But then they made it an option to buy

On the old school Valet key. I haven’t gotten one of those since my 2007 RX

Im saying don’t accept the car with only one way to start it. Be it a digital key, wallet key or valet key

If the dealership says sorry. No can do

Walk out with your money. They sell keys all day long. They will get you one
You are totally wrong and what you say it won't work. But I will pass on commenting any further. Best of luck to you though.

Peace and Good Will

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S. - There is a metal key that fits fob that can be used to open the car inside the key called a mechanical key. When you buy a car you get one key fob and 2 mechanical keys. some call the mechanical key a valet key.

Last edited by midcow3; 05-12-24 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-12-24, 12:12 PM
Darrell1970
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my car (July 2023) knowing of the key shortage (chips). It was promised in the first quarter of 2024. I got the letter (23L0J1?) in March or April and received 2nd key May 11th. It was not an issue for me,
New2025NX (05-12-24)
Old 05-12-24, 07:15 PM
Boboso52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrell1970
I bought my car (July 2023) knowing of the key shortage (chips). It was promised in the first quarter of 2024. I got the letter (23L0J1?) in March or April and received 2nd key May 11th. It was not an issue for me,
I purchased my 2023 NX one year old (dealer vehicle) on 05/02/24. I made the deal contingent on the second key being delivered promptly. The vehicle was in for post purchase upgrades. Received the key on 05/08/24. My service advisor said the fobs were “in stock” and it only took one business day for them to receive the blank which was then programmed by the dealer.
Old 05-12-24, 09:55 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Boboso52
I purchased my 2023 NX one year old (dealer vehicle) on 05/02/24. I made the deal contingent on the second key being delivered promptly. The vehicle was in for post purchase upgrades. Received the key on 05/08/24. My service advisor said the fobs were “in stock” and it only took one business day for them to receive the blank which was then programmed by the dealer.
You do realize that purchasing a used car ( like a one year old dealer vehicle) is a completely different buying situation in relation to getting a second key fob compared to buying a brand new first time purchase car ? You are talking apples , when everyone else is talking oranges. I am glad you got you second fob promptly.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 05-12-24, 10:09 PM
Boboso52
Driver School Candidate

You do realize that purchasing a used car ( like a one year old dealer vehicle) is a completely different buying situation in relation to getting a second key fob compared to buying a brand new first time purchase car ? You are talking apples , when everyone else is talking oranges. I am glad you got you second fob promptly.

YMMV,
MidCow3
You could make the same request buying new. This is actually my first used Lexus. Five new ones purchased since 2000. The point was everything is negotiable. I said I wanted a second key, and not three months from now, or I’ll look for another car, or elsewhere. They tried to not provide that second fob in our negotiations. I got to the point of negotiating with the sales manager and he tried to work the price of the fob into the deal. That would have been a deal breaker for me and I said so. The second key is several hundred dollars. Might be easier to get blanks now though. You are in control of actually buying the car. Those are the apples. You can always say no to the deal and walk away. In my 40 years of buying new cars, I’ve walked out several times. I live in Southern California. There are about ten Lexus dealers within a hundred miles of me.
Old 05-12-24, 10:30 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Boboso52
You could make the same request buying new. This is actually my first used Lexus. Five new ones purchased since 2000. The point was everything is negotiable. I said I wanted a second key, and not three months from now, or I’ll look for another car, or elsewhere. They tried to not provide that second fob in our negotiations. I got to the point of negotiating with the sales manager and he tried to work the price of the fob into the deal. That would have been a deal breaker for me and I said so. The second key is several hundred dollars. Might be easier to get blanks now though. You are in control of actually buying the car. Those are the apples. You can always say no to the deal and walk away. In my 40 years of buying new cars, I’ve walked out several times. I live in Southern California. There are about ten Lexus dealers within a hundred miles of me.
Not really, my first was a 1997 ES300 5-speed manual. While the inventory has increase significantly recently. Your hardnosed approach would probably get what you wanted eventually, but you might be waiting a year or so. The car inventory was so tight for the last couple of years, the dealers could pre-sell every car they were allocated. There was absolutely no reason for the dealers to negotiate, so they didn't. If you had a sweetheart deal with your dealership great, because you were probably one of the very few. Heck I bought my first new car in 1969 so guess I have been buying cars even longer than an expert negotiator like you.

Peace brother and continue your great negotiations.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 05-13-24, 05:44 AM
Boboso52
Driver School Candidate

deleted duplicate

Last edited by Boboso52; 05-13-24 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-13-24, 05:52 AM
Boboso52
Driver School Candidate

Not really, my first was a 1997 ES300 5-speed manual. While the inventory has increase significantly recently. Your hardnosed approach would probably get what you wanted eventually, but you might be waiting a year or so. The car inventory was so tight for the last couple of years, the dealers could pre-sell every car they were allocated. There was absolutely no reason for the dealers to negotiate, so they didn't. If you had a sweetheart deal with your dealership great, because you were probably one of the very few. Heck I bought my first new car in 1969 so guess I have been buying cars even longer than an expert negotiator like you.

Peace brother and continue your great negotiations.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Agreed. The last three of four years has not been a good buying window. The 2019 RX I just traded in was bought pre-COVID. My dealer offered me the same $$ I paid for it 2 years later, during the COVID period. I said no thanks, since the flip side would be more even expensive to purchase. The "expert negotiator" comment gave me a chuckle. Thanks for starting my day off right. Not really an expert, just good at walking away if the deal doesn't suit me. There is always another deal, or another dealer.

That ES 300 was a sweet ride...My first was a 2000 ES Platinum, White over silver, tan interior. Cheers.......

Old 05-13-24, 12:05 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by New2025NX
I have a down payment on 2025 NX350h luxury. The specs don't mention the key fobs at all. How would I go about not accepting delivary. Is there somethine else I can point to that specifies the 2 fobs?
when I got the call my NX was in I asked about the second. They said not available I declined the sale. It was verbally agreed upon when I reserved it. They did come up with a second.
Boboso52 (05-13-24)
Old 05-13-24, 03:02 PM
New2025NX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sounds
when I got the call my NX was in I asked about the second. They said not available I declined the sale. It was verbally agreed upon when I reserved it. They did come up with a second.
Just to clarify, you're not also getting a SmartAccess Card Key are you? I ask because my specs do include the Card Key and don't mention any fobs, so I guess I'm still not sure what to expect (or ask for) ,1 or 2 fobs, when my NX 350 Lux arrives next month.
Old 05-13-24, 05:59 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

Just to clarify, you're not also getting a SmartAccess Card Key are you? I ask because my specs do include the Card Key and don't mention any fobs, so I guess I'm still not sure what to expect (or ask for) ,1 or 2 fobs, when my NX 350 Lux arrives next month.
Lexus provides two fobs with the car. However, due to a chip shortage, only one is provided at the time you pick up the car. The other one is provided later. Here is an official notice Lexus provided about this issue last year. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...40059-9999.pdf

New2025NX (05-13-24)
Old 05-13-24, 07:47 PM
New2025NX
Rookie

[QUOTE=chuuck1e;11722614]Lexus provides two fobs with the car. However, due to a chip shortage, only one is provided at the time you pick up the car. The other one is provided later. Here is an official notice Lexus provided about this issue last year. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10240059-9999

So regardless of getting a card key or not, with my 2025 NX I should expect to get either1 fob and 1 valet key (like the memo you shared for 2023), or 2 complete fobs (if the memo is no longer in affect). Thank you.
Old 05-13-24, 08:17 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb Clarity - FINALLY

Clarity - The SmartAccess Card Key is a separate accessory , you will get that when you get the car.

2 Key Fobs are designated/included in purchase when you buy a Lexus. There is a mechanical key ( some call Valet key) that fits inside each Key Fob.

At minimum you will get one Key Fob and two mechanical keys. One mechanical key will be inside your Key Fob, So it will look like you got one Key Fob and One mechanical key.

If you get both Key Fobs when you pick up the car, In side each Key Fob there will be a mechanical key.

if you have to wait to get your second Key Fob because the chip shortage is not completely over. The second Key Fob you receive WILL NOT have a mechanical key inside. Put the second separate mechanical key you received when you pick edup your NX inside the second Key Fob.

In the end this is what you will have in your case. 2 Key Fobs ( inside each there will be a mechanical key) and 1 SmartAccess Card.

Hopefully this is clear and enjoy your new NX.

Peace and Goodwill ( I found some forum members like me saying this and missed seeing it in a couple of my recent posts) and truly relax and enjoy your NX. The NX is a great Luxury Cruiser.

YMMV,
MidCow3

P,S,- Don't lose the mechanical keys , or at least put the code tag somewhere safe. Each mechanical key is specifically tied to your NX and only your NX.
New2025NX (05-14-24)

Quick Reply: Second key fob