NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Non ml full audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 12:13 AM
Batty
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Great job! I just updated by adding a 12” sub in the hatch. The stock system sound was fine, it just really lacked the low end bass. The biggest pain in the rear was getting power back there for the amp and sub itself.
The following users liked this post:
tdlnfm (05-18-23)
Old 07-01-23, 12:55 PM
Stedman
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m envious of your new setup. Just didn’t realize how brutal the non ML equipped NXh was. Not even close to the last vehicle driven QX50… But paying another 4 grand wasn't happening to the next package up from the Ultra Luxury for gadgets we didn’t want.
Old 07-01-23, 01:29 PM
Gerf
Racer

Received 790 Likes on 587 Posts

Nice Job, that's a lot of work ! My sub looks eerily similar to yours...

The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (08-20-23)
Old 07-02-23, 04:52 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Nice project. Great job. The fun is when it’s turn on after completion.
Old 08-20-23, 06:54 AM
ManOnFire
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@Teasy010 , impressive!!! Much respect to you for this custom install! Your system likely sounds better than any ML upgrade! I'm happy with my Kicker 46hs10 upgrade.
Old 09-03-23, 08:59 PM
usr01
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for this info! What's the other specs on the OEM amp? I see the 4 and 2.5 ohms resistance, but was there any info on the Voltage or Watts?
Old 10-03-23, 10:48 PM
XNX350X
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Teasy010
Hi guys. I been looking for detailed info on upgrading my audio system and didn’t see much info on here so I decided to do the install myself. First and foremost.. Lexus lied about it being a 10 speaker system. It is actually only 8 speakers. The rear doors only have the 2.5 inch drivers with some tube that goes down to the bottom door grill. It’s empty down there. I installed a 5 channel JL AUDIO HD/900/5 amp to power the new speakers and sub. Front speakers I used Helix 6.5 inch components. I replaced the dash 3 inch speakers with the tweeters. The doors were 7 inch so I had to modify to fit the 6.5’s. Rear doors I was going to do the same but decided on taking the easier route annd just replaced the existing 2.5 inch speakers with some Kicker KS 2.5 inch ones. I I ntegrated it in with an audio control LC8i. All in all it wasn’t too bad. Install took me about 15 hours split up into 3 days. The hardest part was removing the center counsel area to get to the factory Pioneer amplifier and running the wires from there to the trunk area. It was well worth it because the system sounds so much more better. Clear and full now. Here’s a few photos. I also installed the FitcamX front and rear dash cameras but will post later.

Center console removal

Midway removal of center console

Rear air vents

More center console photos

Install parts

Factory amp location under the center console

Ohm info on Pioneer amp

Oem Amp wiring

Running wires to the back

More wires

Still going

Finally to the back

Amp and LOC mounted and all wires connected

Jl audio HD900/5 amp

Audio control lc8i

Fronts doors removed

Speaker comparison

Magnet comparison

Modified factory bracket

helix speakers in

Tweeters replaced in dash

Small compared to the stock 3 inch ones but highs are way better now

kicker KS series

Nothing but flat plate covering the bottom. No 10 speakers as advertised

JL Audio 12 inch W3 subwoofer in HO box
Hey, for the Lexus factory amp, it has 3 plugs. It’s missing the middle plug, was it always like that? Also I also installed subwoofer in my NX, I’m having problems with the active noise cancellation, my subwoofers make weird sounds when accelerating. Is the ANC disabled by taking out that centre plug on the amp. Thanks
Old 10-04-23, 06:53 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

I’m glad I held out for Mark Levinson. There’s no way I could’ve done all of this work for a great sound system.
Old 10-04-23, 11:37 AM
XNX350X
3rd Gear

Default help help major help

Hey, for the Lexus factory amp, it has 3 plugs. It’s missing the middle plug, was it always like that? Also I also installed subwoofer in my NX, I’m having problems with the active noise cancellation, my subwoofers make weird sounds when accelerating. Is the ANC disabled by taking out that centre plug on the amp. Thanks
Old 10-06-23, 08:53 AM
XNX350X
3rd Gear

Old 11-20-23, 10:46 AM
tdlnfm
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MTL2022
Kudo 2U, it should be great system for such a small car

About 10 speakers, I think Lexus is not lying but it's a marketing term, because the 2 missing speakers at the bottom read door, they've called it "Lexus's first high-efficiency bass reflex structure", marketing term for PASSIVE Driver and if you read it more, the AMP is clearly "8-channel full digital amplifier"

"This system consists of 10 speakers including a rear speaker that uses Lexus's first high-efficiency bass reflex structure and a subwoofer that utilizes the body skeleton, and the latest digital signal processing in addition to the high-quality sound technology that Pioneer has cultivated over many years. The "Lexus Premium Sound System," which consists of an 8-channel full digital amplifier equipped with technology, is based on the vehicle concept "Vital x Tech Gear," with a lively, high-quality clear bass reproduction and an open stage. It realizes a natural connection with the interior space of the vehicle.

Based on acoustic analysis inside the vehicle interior, the rear door is equipped with a high-efficiency bass reflex speaker that optimally arranges a mid-high range speaker at the top of the door and a duct that is the exit of the low range at the bottom of the door for the first time in Lexus. This structure enables low-frequency reproduction equivalent to a 16 cm full-range speaker and high-frequency reproduction higher than that of the same full-range speaker, even though it is a 5.5 cm small-diameter speaker, and a wider band reproduction is realized with one speaker. In addition, the mid-high range reproduced from the upper part of the door realizes a sound image and stage feeling at a high position, and at the same time, the low range reproduced from the lower part of the door realizes a rich bass"

Should we press Lexus for misleading marketing with their 10 speakers vs 8?
Lexus did not state that there would be 2 speakers in the rear door. The 10 comes out with the L/R dash speakers ("CST) being coax, which counts as double... By the way, the number of speakers is not proportional to the sound quality.

Old 11-20-23, 11:45 AM
MTL2022
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CST = Pioneer's Coherent Source Transducer driver technology

The 9cm CST Dash speaker's still counting as 1 speaker as the CST = Pioneer's Coherent Source Transducer driver technology
At the end 8-channel full digital amplifier are driving only 8 speakers, not 10.

Originally Posted by tdlnfm
Lexus did not state that there would be 2 speakers in the rear door. The 10 comes out with the L/R dash speakers ("CST) being coax, which counts as double... By the way, the number of speakers is not proportional to the sound quality.
Old 11-20-23, 09:30 PM
tdlnfm
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MTL2022
The 9cm CST Dash speaker's still counting as 1 speaker as the CST = Pioneer's Coherent Source Transducer driver technology
At the end 8-channel full digital amplifier are driving only 8 speakers, not 10.
For you and me CST counts as 1 speaker, but for the Lexus it counts as two (see the number of rings in the figure). The point is that - according to Lexus - there is 1 speaker in the rear door.
Old 11-21-23, 06:17 AM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Can I come to your house to do it to my car?

Nice job.