NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Has anyone programmed a car key themself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-23, 12:10 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 602 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, I haven't even seen one to work on, but Techstream is the same tool the dealer techs use. There's no magic to adding keys.
I think for 22+ there is actually more involved than just the Teichstream. That is probably used, but in conjunction with other safeguards.
Old 05-13-23, 12:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I think for 22+ there is actually more involved than just the Teichstream. That is probably used, but in conjunction with other safeguards.
You are correct. There is a code you need to get from Lexus to program a new key, and there is a warning displayed for 10 days after a new key is added. The warning is to ensure you know a key was added and hopefully prevent someone adding a key without your knowledge. The previous method does not include this step and it is theoretically possible for someone to add a key without your knowledge (a valet, or service person) using the old system. Seems they've added a bit of new security to the process.
Old 05-13-23, 12:56 PM
Aloha808
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You are correct. There is a code you need to get from Lexus to program a new key, and there is a warning displayed for 10 days after a new key is added. The warning is to ensure you know a key was added and hopefully prevent someone adding a key without your knowledge. The previous method does not include this step and it is theoretically possible for someone to add a key without your knowledge (a valet, or service person) using the old system. Seems they've added a bit of new security to the process.
Wow thanks for this information. You seem like you know your stuff. Do you know if Lexus would give this code out to the vehicle owner or do they now have a monopoly on making keys now.
Old 05-13-23, 01:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

I looked it up in TIS. I have a professional subscription because I have two Lexus cars and one Toyota in the garage. I do all my own work. It makes sense for me to buy access.

I don't know if they will work with you to program a new key or not. Hawaii is different too, your service isn't through Lexus USA.
Old 05-14-23, 01:59 AM
Aloha808
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I looked it up in TIS. I have a professional subscription because I have two Lexus cars and one Toyota in the garage. I do all my own work. It makes sense for me to buy access.

I don't know if they will work with you to program a new key or not. Hawaii is different too, your service isn't through Lexus USA.
Thanks for this information. I'm surprised you knew Hawaii is different but you are correct. Out of curiosity, does your TIS subscription allow you to see the parts schematics/diagram? You may have seen my other thread but I am going to attempt to install a kick sensor on my 2023 NX350h that did not come with one. I ordered the kick sensor part from my dealer for $419 (about double the price of online, but I had a credit at my dealer). I've been trying to find one of the schematic drawings of the rear bumper either with or without the kick sensor. This would help me determine if I need to buy another cable as there was talk in the RAV4 that you also needed a separate short cable that was absent in cars that did not come with the kick sensor from the factory. If you are able to share any parts diagrams on the rear bumper or the kick sensor that would be very helpful.