NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Has anyone programmed a car key themself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-23, 01:04 AM
Aloha808
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Has anyone programmed a car key themself?

Was wondering if any one has programmed a new car key themself using one of the OBD2 tools? Even if its another recent model lexus (post 2020).
Old 05-05-23, 11:27 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 602 Likes on 420 Posts

I do not think it can be done.
Old 05-06-23, 02:53 AM
CdO
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I do not think it can be done.
That's what I was thinking.

I think you can buy some (potentially illegal) software to do it; but, that may be geared toward independent shops or locksmiths or something. I don't know if its worth it for one key.
Old 05-06-23, 11:37 PM
Aloha808
Rookie

For those wondering, I will report back tomorrow as I purchased a computer from Amazon that will arrive Sunday. Please avoid speculation if you are uninformed on this particular topic as it will discourage future readers from even trying. If you have experience I would love to hear though. In regards to the comment regarding the illegality of making your own key, that is wrong. Is it illegal to make a copy of a key to your house? Is it illegal to make a copy of a key to your car that is non digital? Why would it be illegal to make copies of a key to a digital key? I'm sure a dealer would love to convince suckers its illegal to do so and you must pay the mafia $400 for 5 minutes of work by making it illegal to do it yourself but thats clearly not the case. If I am able to buy a computer program for 2-300 to make copies of keys in 5 minutes for any car thats a much better deal then paying $400+ every time I want to replace a key or make a duplicate and having to waste 3+ hours at the dealer and buying their overpriced parts over a discounted part from Bell.

Last edited by Aloha808; 05-06-23 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-07-23, 06:25 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by Aloha808
For those wondering, I will report back tomorrow as I purchased a computer from Amazon that will arrive Sunday. Please avoid speculation if you are uninformed on this particular topic as it will discourage future readers from even trying. If you have experience I would love to hear though. In regards to the comment regarding the illegality of making your own key, that is wrong. Is it illegal to make a copy of a key to your house? Is it illegal to make a copy of a key to your car that is non digital? Why would it be illegal to make copies of a key to a digital key? I'm sure a dealer would love to convince suckers its illegal to do so and you must pay the mafia $400 for 5 minutes of work by making it illegal to do it yourself but thats clearly not the case. If I am able to buy a computer program for 2-300 to make copies of keys in 5 minutes for any car thats a much better deal then paying $400+ every time I want to replace a key or make a duplicate and having to waste 3+ hours at the dealer and buying their overpriced parts over a discounted part from Bell.
Just remember that these forums are also read by the organized criminals that steal the cars on regular basis.

Keep that in mind when reporting back.
Old 05-07-23, 10:28 AM
Aloha808
Rookie

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Just remember that these forums are also read by the organized criminals that steal the cars on regular basis.

Keep that in mind when reporting back.
Lol what a joke.
Old 05-07-23, 08:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Good luck with that third party tool. I've done the new key thing a number of times when I bought credit card keys for the IS F and GS F, but I have a subscription to Techstream so I'm using the same tools the dealer uses. You can buy a short term professional subscription that would work for sure as long as you have an OBDII adapter supported by Techstream.

I think you're confused about "making a duplicate" because the keys all have hard coded credentials burned in at the factory. The ECM processes the key request, and this goes to the Encryption ECU that creates a credential every time you start the car. So if the encryption ECU doesn't know the key, it won't start. It is possible to clone a key, but you have to have a working key to do this and you won't necessarily have a convenient device to use. Most of that is done using a laptop even when the criminals clone a key.

Last but definitely not least, Lexus changes their keys frequently and sometimes in the middle of a model year, so finding a compatible "universal" key could be really challenging. The IS F forum has a least 5 different keys for the 2008 to 2014 production run. They will not interchange at all, AMHIK.
The following users liked this post:
CdO (05-09-23)
Old 05-07-23, 08:15 PM
Aloha808
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Good luck with that third party tool. I've done the new key thing a number of times when I bought credit card keys for the IS F and GS F, but I have a subscription to Techstream so I'm using the same tools the dealer uses. You can buy a short term professional subscription that would work for sure as long as you have an OBDII adapter supported by Techstream.

I think you're confused about "making a duplicate" because the keys all have hard coded credentials burned in at the factory. The ECM processes the key request, and this goes to the Encryption ECU that creates a credential every time you start the car. So if the encryption ECU doesn't know the key, it won't start. It is possible to clone a key, but you have to have a working key to do this and you won't necessarily have a convenient device to use. Most of that is done using a laptop even when the criminals clone a key.

Last but definitely not least, Lexus changes their keys frequently and sometimes in the middle of a model year, so finding a compatible "universal" key could be really challenging. The IS F forum has a least 5 different keys for the 2008 to 2014 production run. They will not interchange at all, AMHIK.
I already bought a credit card key from the dealer which vin matched it and confirmed the frequency would work. My current dealer just refused to add a credit card key because it did not come new with it so had to go through another dealer for the part. My dealer I assume just didn't want to be bothered doing it as it was going to be included for free with my car "if it's possible". I bought a D7 tool which supposedly can program keys unfortunately the one I was sent does not have a valid registration even though its brand new from amazon.

In regards to the duplicate, yes I realize it's not a "duplicate" but most people would refer to making a spare key as a duplicate interchangeably.

Old 05-08-23, 02:06 AM
CdO
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

...In regards to the comment regarding the illegality of making your own key, that is wrong...
Relax. I didn't say that. I said the software could potentially be illegal (i.e. hacked/unauthorized/etc.). Just giving you a heads up to be aware of what you are buying.
Old 05-08-23, 05:38 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 336 Likes on 213 Posts

I used the Dorman tool off Amazon for my 2015 RCF even though it says it isn't compatible lol.

I was able program a key fob as well as the credit card smart key.
Old 05-08-23, 02:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

You can get a 2 day professional subscription to TIS for $70. Just need a compatible OBDII adapter to make it work. I bought the Mongoose BT a long time ago now and spent some cash on it, but it just plain works and it supports bluetooth so I can use it for datalogging too.

I just programmed another credit card key today. My IS F key was getting flakey most likely from getting flexed in my front pocket over the last 10 years or so. The whole process takes about 10 minutes.
Old 05-11-23, 08:04 PM
Aloha808
Rookie

You can get a 2 day professional subscription to TIS for $70. Just need a compatible OBDII adapter to make it work. I bought the Mongoose BT a long time ago now and spent some cash on it, but it just plain works and it supports bluetooth so I can use it for datalogging too.

I just programmed another credit card key today. My IS F key was getting flakey most likely from getting flexed in my front pocket over the last 10 years or so. The whole process takes about 10 minutes.
Ok thanks, I bought a credit card key from Bell Lexus and want to try. I bought a D7 coder from Amazon that is supposed to be able to program keys but it did not end up working because the programer has pretty much every other lexus listed in the key programing section of the prompt except for an NX. Out of curiosity when you bought a credit card key did you match up the frequency? My NX is Japan built and after putting in the Vin number a knowledgeable sounding guy at Bell Lexus said he had to check the frequency as there was 2 part numbers listed. He said he compared it to my other key before deciding which one to buy. This was after VIN matching the parts which kind of confused me a little and he said it had nothing to do with Japan/Canada built models. I may try the tech stream put I gather I need a PC for that and I only have Apple computers and phones.
Old 05-13-23, 11:17 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

The FCC ID is the dead giveaway. Each key has to have an FCC approval, so getting a replacement means you need the same FCC ID. The IS F forum figured out which model years need which keys a long time ago, so I haven't had to look up anything in a very long time.

Techstream requires a Windows PC. Mine is running Win10, it doesn't meet the requirements for Win11, and since Techstream is working just fine on it, and that's pretty much all I need it for, I'm leaving well enough alone.
Old 05-13-23, 11:33 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

The FCC ID is the dead giveaway. Each key has to have an FCC approval, so getting a replacement means you need the same FCC ID. The IS F forum figured out which model years need which keys a long time ago, so I haven't had to look up anything in a very long time.

Techstream requires a Windows PC. Mine is running Win10, it doesn't meet the requirements for Win11, and since Techstream is working just fine on it, and that's pretty much all I need it for, I'm leaving well enough alone.
Did you program a 22 or later NX with Techstream? Sorry if you already mentioned it and I missed it.
Old 05-13-23, 12:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

No, I haven't even seen one to work on, but Techstream is the same tool the dealer techs use. There's no magic to adding keys.

Quick Reply: Has anyone programmed a car key themself?