NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Charging Question on NX 450H+

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-23, 04:15 PM
Smooth2o
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
I wonder if level 1 - 120V charging would give less charge to the 12V while charging since it's plugged in for 12 hours for a complete charge and for 240V 12 Amps using the stock EVSE would most likely give more charge to the 12V. I don't know.

Greatly appreciate you doing the measurements and causing the fuse blow on your meter.

That is great you got 85.3km/53 miles. The best I did last year was 84.1km.

And, the same question for you, is the high milage due to 240V?
Old 05-10-23, 04:43 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

I don’t know much about electricity but I do not believe the voltage 120 vs 240 makes any difference. I’ve always thought it was the timing left on the charger. I have a ChargePoint home charger which is 240v hard wired into panel box. I do not use the car charge controls. I plug it in when we get home and I unplug it when my Lexus app says it’s complete. I don’t let it sit charging overnight or any longer than it needs. I’m up to 40 miles which doesn’t make sense to me, but I’m good with it.

Old 05-10-23, 06:18 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

The mileage is not due to 240V or 120V. It's where you drive and conditions. The day I achieved 84.1 km, I drove mostly on local streets with regen and up and down hills. That day I think the charge showed 70km, but because going down hill, I could drive 10km by just using 2km range. If you drive on the freeway/highway, you will not be able to achieve that high range since you won't have much opportunity to regen the power until you exit the highway.

One thing to be clear as well. If you are charging 120V, the 3.3kWh or 6.6 kWh charger does not matter. It will still charge at the same speed. If you are charging at a level 2 charger or public charger, that is where you will see the difference between the 3.3kWh vs the 6.6kWh charger.

The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (05-11-23)
Old 05-11-23, 03:51 AM
CdO
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
I wonder if level 1 - 120V charging would give less charge to the 12V while charging since it's plugged in for 12 hours for a complete charge and for 240V 12 Amps using the stock EVSE would most likely give more charge to the 12V. I don't know.

Greatly appreciate you doing the measurements and causing the fuse blow on your meter.

That is great you got 85.3km/53 miles. The best I did last year was 84.1km.
Not sure if you said that backwards from what you meant to say. Surely the longer you charge the HVBatt, the better off your 12V will be. So, at 120V/Level 1 it will be 'trickle charging' longer... and will have less time to discharge between plug-ins.

Oh well, time to check Amazon for replacement fuse(s).

I didn't drive 53 miles, I just mean the display/App showed 53 mile EV range. For a long time, it was stuck on 48 max; then 49 for a bit; and the last week or two it went to 52 and just now 53. I have been driving it more than the Mrs recently; so, I guess that's why it has suddenly gone up... I drive more efficiently. (I have gone about 54 before.)

For others: as @lsft said, getting the longest EV range has a lot to do with the characteristics of your route (mostly how fast you go); but, also how you drive... similar to ICE vehicle. Most of the time, I am on streets with a 45 mph limit with plenty of traffic lights. Nothing to do with how you charge (120/240)... although... frequently charging to full when you don't need to will degrade your HV battery faster than charging to less than full. (I estimated the relative effect in my "technical things" thread.)

It may help to know that Google Maps (mobile) has an option for the most energy efficient routes... you set your vehicle type... EV, Hybrid, or Gas. Sometimes we're EV, sometimes Hybrid.
SgtLip (05-11-23)
Old 06-03-23, 04:57 PM
dmv
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed the increase in battery. I don’t understand this. My app now is at 45. Owned the car for two months. Mostly using the Lexus 120 thing. Getting a level two soon. Buying the juice box 40 amp. Is that ok?
Old 06-04-23, 02:16 AM
CdO
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dmv
I have noticed the increase in battery. I don’t understand this. My app now is at 45. Owned the car for two months. Mostly using the Lexus 120 thing. Getting a level two soon. Buying the juice box 40 amp. Is that ok?
The car starts out with a certain factory EV range estimation. As you drive it, it will change to better reflect your efficiency. I don't know how long it takes / how far back it looks. (There is a way to reset in the software.) Mine went up to 55.

I was leaning toward the Juicebox; but, since the Emporia came out...
It's hard for me to justify the (installation) cost.
Old 06-04-23, 12:43 PM
mangust
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CdO
The car starts out with a certain factory EV range estimation. As you drive it, it will change to better reflect your efficiency. I don't know how long it takes / how far back it looks. (There is a way to reset in the software.) Mine went up to 55.

I was leaning toward the Juicebox; but, since the Emporia came out...
It's hard for me to justify the (installation) cost.
You're a technical person, surely you can tackle the installation yourself
In the US you also get up to a $1000 tax credit on 30% of installation and parts.
I've been using Emporia for several months without any issues.
I enjoy being able to juice-up rather quickly when doing errands. It takes 2 hours and 40 minutes to get full charge form empty.
In reality, the battery is almost full in about 1.5 hours. At 2 hours it's practically done, as the remaining time is a very slow charge to get the last couple miles of range.
SgtLip (06-04-23)
Old 06-04-23, 11:42 PM
CdO
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mangust
You're a technical person, surely you can tackle the installation yourself
In the US you also get up to a $1000 tax credit on 30% of installation and parts.
I've been using Emporia for several months without any issues.
I enjoy being able to juice-up rather quickly when doing errands. It takes 2 hours and 40 minutes to get full charge form empty.
In reality, the battery is almost full in about 1.5 hours. At 2 hours it's practically done, as the remaining time is a very slow charge to get the last couple miles of range.
Of course I would if it were just a matter of plugging in and mounting an EVSE. I'll need a new circuit and maybe a panel upgrade. When I start doing the mental math on how infrequently I need faster than ~3kW the break even time gets ridiculous. I would have to include my next car(s) in the calculation for it to make any sense at all. Maybe if/when I replace my gas water heater with a heat pump water heater or something? (It was nice to have hot water when the electricity was out.)

Those new credits do help. Ford's recent announcement that it will adopt Tesla's "NACS" plug gives me slight pause about investing in a J-plug EVSE (I know there are adapters, but...). I wonder if others will follow?
Old 06-05-23, 10:54 AM
dmv
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no rebates for anything except Tesla. Not even for chargers. last year is was amazing. I am female and not handy! my panel is almost full too. to upgrade to a 200 amp service its 10K and over 6 month wait! I got a permit this week. the electrician is charging me a 1000 for install. I am in the Bay Area . Home of the ev world. there a far and few public chargers here.
Old 06-05-23, 03:17 PM
CdO
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dmv
no rebates for anything except Tesla. Not even for chargers. last year is was amazing. I am female and not handy! my panel is almost full too. to upgrade to a 200 amp service its 10K and over 6 month wait! I got a permit this week. the electrician is charging me a 1000 for install. I am in the Bay Area . Home of the ev world. there a far and few public chargers here.
I believe the "Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 (IRA)" extended the "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit" by ten years... 30% non-refundable tax credit up to $1,000 for 'chargers' and installation (for qualified tax payers).
Old 06-06-23, 09:58 AM
NSXT
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

120V vs 240v has nothing to do with getting more EV range.

As @lsft mentioned, it depends on how you drive to be efficient on a PHEV.

I am coming from a Prius Prime and had a NX300h previously before this 450h+ and the method will be the same for me:

- Always leave the battery 50% or lower until I need it as I WFH 3 times a week and plug it in the night before. ie: If I plan to go shopping on Saturday, Friday night the battery will start charging.
- It is a PHEV, if you really need to go somewhere right away and the battery is at 50%, you can flip it to HV and drive it as Hybrid and it uses very little gas as it always flips it back to EV + regen like a regular Hybrid.
- Local driving is always EV, 80kms or higher, always on HV.
- Highway HV 100% as EV is not efficient at high speed unless you are driving a full EV with no choice. Once exiting the highway, flip it back to full EV.
- Uphill = HV, downhill = EV.

My method is not for everyone but it did a very good job from my Prius Prime era gaining 1.9L/100kms and 11.9Kwh/100kms since day 1 I got it and still have it.

NX450h+ is not as efficient as the Prius Prime as it is a heavier vehicle. Have to give up something to get into Luxury and SUV style. Similar to RAV4 Prime.

Cheers,
NSXT
The following 3 users liked this post by NSXT:
95elijah95 (03-28-24), FinnegansWake (04-07-24), SgtLip (06-06-23)
Old 06-06-23, 01:47 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by NSXT
120V vs 240v has nothing to do with getting more EV range.

As @lsft mentioned, it depends on how you drive to be efficient on a PHEV.

I am coming from a Prius Prime and had a NX300h previously before this 450h+ and the method will be the same for me:

- Always leave the battery 50% or lower until I need it as I WFH 3 times a week and plug it in the night before. ie: If I plan to go shopping on Saturday, Friday night the battery will start charging.
- It is a PHEV, if you really need to go somewhere right away and the battery is at 50%, you can flip it to HV and drive it as Hybrid and it uses very little gas as it always flips it back to EV + regen like a regular Hybrid.
- Local driving is always EV, 80kms or higher, always on HV.
- Highway HV 100% as EV is not efficient at high speed unless you are driving a full EV with no choice. Once exiting the highway, flip it back to full EV.
- Uphill = HV, downhill = EV.

My method is not for everyone but it did a very good job from my Prius Prime era gaining 1.9L/100kms and 11.9Kwh/100kms since day 1 I got it and still have it.

NX450h+ is not as efficient as the Prius Prime as it is a heavier vehicle. Have to give up something to get into Luxury and SUV style. Similar to RAV4 Prime.

Cheers,
NSXT
Not sure I can say I understand everything you mentioned but I liked the parts I do.

This is my first time owning HV/EV as I am coming from a HV only in past vehicles. And I have only been driving HV since 2019. My problem is I live in Rural America. It's 12 miles to town and then depending on where you go you burn through the EV by the time you get home. I have learned now to shut EV off when going on the Interstate Highways. I did follow that part about your post. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for the suggestions to getting better mileage.
Old 06-09-23, 03:11 AM
CdO
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CdO
...Ford's recent announcement that it will adopt Tesla's "NACS" plug gives me slight pause about investing in a J-plug EVSE (I know there are adapters, but...). I wonder if others will follow?
Now GM is following... or are they leading?
lsft (06-10-23)