NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Battery voltage variations

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-24 | 10:49 AM
TheCDN
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gamma742
All under warranty?
Yup! They did warn me though that if the battery was found to be in spec from their battery test I would have to pay $90 for the work though. But I already knew it was running between 11.8 - 12.1 volts which is too low a state for a healthy battery. I had been keeping a battery tender on it so it wouldn't die on me.
Old 02-27-24 | 10:54 AM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb you are not measuring only the battery

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
I can tell you that I have Measured the CCA of my NX350h 12v Battery and measures 680 CCA on my tester.
There has been no one here who has disputed the actual measurement.
I do not know why a labeled 345 CCA battery measures 680 CCA
Somebody prove me wrong... Please
You are not measuring what you think you are. In the case of a hybrid (especailly like the NX which DOESN'T use the battery to start the ICE) you need to isolate the 12V battery from the hybrid battery. Disconnect your 12 volt battery ( you only have to remove the red positive lead) and then measure the CCA.

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following users liked this post:
hintonwood (02-27-24)
Old 02-27-24 | 05:15 PM
mextreme
Driver School Candidate

We also have the 360LN2-MF battery - 2022 450h+. It has died (gone low voltage at least twice that I am aware of).

Has anyone with a battery charger which pulses / tests as it is charging been able to charge this battery ?

We have a Viking charger which does some type of level up charging as part of the process.
On our other cars, it can take an hour to 10 hours for the charger to finally move into basic tender mode.

With this NX battery, I haven't see it get to the normal tender mode - although I have only had time to test for 10 hours.

I think this battery simply sucks as so many people report resting voltage under 12V..
Although, the low voltage might be normal for this battery it is annoying.

It is possible our battery doesn't get enough charging in our short drives, maybe we leave it plugged in too long.

Anyone else have a battery charger which does some type test / monitoring while charging and are they successful at charging the 360LN2-MF?

Old 02-27-24 | 05:59 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Welllll.
I am not gonnna disconnect the battery and deal w the computer and back door issue and the hassle.....
If you look at the physical dimensions of that battery vs another battery, the CCA I "measured" makes sense.

What is your source that says that CCA is inaccurate unless disconnected from the hybrid system ?
Old 02-27-24 | 08:37 PM
midcow3
Racer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
Welllll.
I am not gonnna disconnect the battery and deal w the computer and back door issue and the hassle.....
If you look at the physical dimensions of that battery vs another battery, the CCA I "measured" makes sense.

What is your source that says that CCA is inaccurate unless disconnected from the hybrid system ?
Time to move on the explanations don't seem to take. Peace brother.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 02-27-24 | 10:16 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb A battery Tender is a good solution ubtil Lexus fixes their problem!

To summarize:

1, The 12 volt battery does not start the ICE in a Hybrid ( 350h and 450h+ start the ICE ( Internal Combustion Engine, ergo the gas engine.)) The hybrid battery in a NX hybrid starts the ICE through one of the MGs acting as a motor.

In the 250 NX and 350 NX the 12 volt battery starts the ICE. This is a whole other discussion if you are having 12 volt battery problems with a 250 NX or a 350 NX.

2, In the NX hybrid the 12 volt battery runs all of the normal car electronics: computers, window motors, seat motors, audio, lights, door locks, etc. Basically everything except the two MGs, MG1 and MG2, in the hybrid system.

3, One cause of NX hybrid battery drainage is what is called parasite use: e.g.. alarms system, added radar detectors, added motion cameras, add security, ACC, etc. Anything that can still draw power when you are not in "Ready" mode.

4, The big issue besides the NX hybrid parasite power draw is that if properly designed by Lexus, when the 12 volt battery starts getting low on charge, the hybrid system should automatically recharge the 12 volt battery. This happens correctly in almost all other Toyota/Lexus hybrid cars. Apparently , there are some programming .software glitches that does not always automatically recharge the 12 volt battery as it becomes at a low charge state. It appears that Lexus is well aware of this issue, however to my knowledge does not have a solution

5, so what can you do until Lexus fixes the problem::

5A - Minimize parasite 12 volt battery drain - really band-aid; you can turn off any added electronics and you can minimize or eliminate ACC usage. This ,ight lengthen the time until the problem occurs depending on how long it is between your normal drives, but this is a pretty weak solution because you probably cannot identify all of the electronics that contribute to batter drain ,nor is the extent and causation of the Lexus charging glitch completely known.

5B. You can get a large battery ( yes higher CCA, more Ampere-Hours battery time (power capacity) ) but again this is still a band-aid solution. A bigger battery will still drain to to parasite power draw; it will just take longer before the battery charge becomes so low it fails.

5C. You can buy a battery tender and it provides a safe trickle charge to the 12 volt battery and keeps it charged. When I had an S2000 that I garaged most of the time, I put a trickle charger on it and never had a battery issue. Battery drainage will occur overtime on almost any car if it sits long enough. Anytime you are going to leave your car for more than a day or two or a week, you hook up the battery tender and are worry free. A better solution until Lexus gets their act together,

Battery Tender( there are others ,but this one works pretty good:
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Maintain-Damaging/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2O899SNKOVFHB&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.X7w5KwyUrAnUNfz3_dAuM369aeDp6L9f3r6go8d1Az3seBX98WBsPEbx1WLm0pvxhkY-EALvr5CM_lzThTsWXOgo3YafiZyS94a9Rbz80yU1a6TZBcXbeWWakBorttkjfQMgtq66KF1Mj3IrnvFGf1V_2WrGz2omOS1K6dtlRU6_of9N_-wxkGrgGkHjYvmUEAzuf2to8bGVwLTkAKmVaNVzRFfB54MREPxnw4nWovfdhXJvP1hVyrXJk8WmoFPlPjgQSirvH4MG092Ms4uLm9fCJG4JCgVW1uRgF0nv4nY.y9NJrbsOH-MaKwZ3BENtIvIVKF3DyrtQgdgauNcNdQo&dib_tag=se&keywords=battery+tender&qid=1709101038&sprefix=battery+tender%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-7 https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Maintain-Damaging/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2O899SNKOVFHB&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.X7w5KwyUrAnUNfz3_dAuM369aeDp6L9f3r6go8d1Az3seBX98WBsPEbx1WLm0pvxhkY-EALvr5CM_lzThTsWXOgo3YafiZyS94a9Rbz80yU1a6TZBcXbeWWakBorttkjfQMgtq66KF1Mj3IrnvFGf1V_2WrGz2omOS1K6dtlRU6_of9N_-wxkGrgGkHjYvmUEAzuf2to8bGVwLTkAKmVaNVzRFfB54MREPxnw4nWovfdhXJvP1hVyrXJk8WmoFPlPjgQSirvH4MG092Ms4uLm9fCJG4JCgVW1uRgF0nv4nY.y9NJrbsOH-MaKwZ3BENtIvIVKF3DyrtQgdgauNcNdQo&dib_tag=se&keywords=battery+tender&qid=1709101038&sprefix=battery+tender%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-7

You can continue to check CCA and battery voltage, but that is taking a very passive approach to solving the problem. You can maybe see that you are having a problem, but you are taking no action not even a band0aid approach. Especially looking at the voltage, It only tells you that it is potentially charging the battery, but you have no idea what the current state of the 12 volt battery is or if the battery is good.

Good Luck, but I would not expect Lexus to come up with a solution anytime soon.

YMMV,
Midcow3
The following 3 users liked this post by midcow3:
hintonwood (02-27-24), StefanoS (02-28-24), weaver483 (02-28-24)
Old 02-28-24 | 02:51 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by midcow3
To summarize:

1, The 12 volt battery does not start the ICE in a Hybrid ( 350h and 450h+ start the ICE ( Internal Combustion Engine, ergo the gas engine.)) The hybrid battery in a NX hybrid starts the ICE through one of the MGs acting as a motor.

In the 250 NX and 350 NX the 12 volt battery starts the ICE. This is a whole other discussion if you are having 12 volt battery problems with a 250 NX or a 350 NX.

2, In the NX hybrid the 12 volt battery runs all of the normal car electronics: computers, window motors, seat motors, audio, lights, door locks, etc. Basically everything except the two MGs, MG1 and MG2, in the hybrid system.

3, One cause of NX hybrid battery drainage is what is called parasite use: e.g.. alarms system, added radar detectors, added motion cameras, add security, ACC, etc. Anything that can still draw power when you are not in "Ready" mode.

4, The big issue besides the NX hybrid parasite power draw is that if properly designed by Lexus, when the 12 volt battery starts getting low on charge, the hybrid system should automatically recharge the 12 volt battery. This happens correctly in almost all other Toyota/Lexus hybrid cars. Apparently , there are some programming .software glitches that does not always automatically recharge the 12 volt battery as it becomes at a low charge state. It appears that Lexus is well aware of this issue, however to my knowledge does not have a solution

5, so what can you do until Lexus fixes the problem::

5A - Minimize parasite 12 volt battery drain - really band-aid; you can turn off any added electronics and you can minimize or eliminate ACC usage. This ,ight lengthen the time until the problem occurs depending on how long it is between your normal drives, but this is a pretty weak solution because you probably cannot identify all of the electronics that contribute to batter drain ,nor is the extent and causation of the Lexus charging glitch completely known.

5B. You can get a large battery ( yes higher CCA, more Ampere-Hours battery time (power capacity) ) but again this is still a band-aid solution. A bigger battery will still drain to to parasite power draw; it will just take longer before the battery charge becomes so low it fails.

5C. You can buy a battery tender and it provides a safe trickle charge to the 12 volt battery and keeps it charged. When I had an S2000 that I garaged most of the time, I put a trickle charger on it and never had a battery issue. Battery drainage will occur overtime on almost any car if it sits long enough. Anytime you are going to leave your car for more than a day or two or a week, you hook up the battery tender and are worry free. A better solution until Lexus gets their act together,

Battery Tender( there are others ,but this one works pretty good: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Maintain-Damaging/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2O899SNKOVFHB&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.X7w5KwyUrAnUNfz3_dAuM369aeDp6L9f3r6go8d1Az3seBX98WBsPEbx1WLm0pvxhkY-EALvr5CM_lzThTsWXOgo3YafiZyS94a9Rbz80yU1a6TZBcXbeWWakBorttkjfQMgtq66KF1Mj3IrnvFGf1V_2WrGz2omOS1K6dtlRU6_of9N_-wxkGrgGkHjYvmUEAzuf2to8bGVwLTkAKmVaNVzRFfB54MREPxnw4nWovfdhXJvP1hVyrXJk8WmoFPlPjgQSirvH4MG092Ms4uLm9fCJG4JCgVW1uRgF0nv4nY.y9NJrbsOH-MaKwZ3BENtIvIVKF3DyrtQgdgauNcNdQo&dib_tag=se&keywords=battery+tender&qid=1709101038&sprefix=battery+tender%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-7

You can continue to check CCA and battery voltage, but that is taking a very passive approach to solving the problem. You can maybe see that you are having a problem, but you are taking no action not even a band0aid approach. Especially looking at the voltage, It only tells you that it is potentially charging the battery, but you have no idea what the current state of the 12 volt battery is or if the battery is good.

Good Luck, but I would not expect Lexus to come up with a solution anytime soon.

YMMV,
Midcow3
Very good summary!

When I leave the NX450h unattended for over a week I always plug my Noco Genius2 small charger. I did mount it permanently on the battery and the Noco charger sits under the trunk flooring. To use, I just connect the 110v power cord and it's ready.

The Genius2 comes with aligator clips for non permanent connection to the 12v battery. However the wires are bolted to the aligator clips (not soldered or crimped in place) so when you remove the bolts (very easy) you have two copper ring terminals connectors for the battery. Unfortunately, the hole diameter of the ring terminals is a bit too small for the battery teminals so you need to enlarge it a bit before you can connect to the battery terminals (easy to do with a reamer). Since I have done that, I never had any problem leaving the car sitting in the garage for a long time.

You could also get the Genius2D which comes with the proper copper ring terminals rather than aligator clips but that unit has less options that the Genius2, so modifying (slightly) the Genius2 seemed a better option for me that getting the Genius2D...
Old 02-29-24 | 09:15 AM
TheCDN
Intermediate

Excellent posts from both Midcow3 (#36) and Earman (#37)!

Just had my battery replaced by Lexus with a Lexus premium 80 month warranty battery:
Battery replacement part number: C0PBS-8497R - Group 97R - CCA 600 - CA 95RC

I had already purchased a NOCO GBX45 Lithium Jump Starter and later on a NOCO Genious2 smart trickle charger to deal with the parasitic draw issues as noted above.
You can purchase an adapter to help you connect either the jump starter or the trickle charger with easy to plug in water proof and 10 amp fused connections: GBC007 Boost Eyelet Cable w/ X-Connect Adapter but as mentioned above you'll need to drill out the eyelets to directly connect to the battery as it comes with M6 1/4" holes and you need to open up holes to a M10 3/8" for connection to battery posts.

And since, as mentioned above, Lexus hasn't addressed the parasitic draw issues on the battery as your car sits unused, I'll be keeping this new battery hooked up to the trickle charger when garaged to maintain a healthy charge.
The following users liked this post:
lsft (02-29-24)
Old 02-29-24 | 05:31 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by TheCDN
Excellent posts from both Midcow3 (#36) and Earman (#37)!

Just had my battery replaced by Lexus with a Lexus premium 80 month warranty battery:
Battery replacement part number: C0PBS-8497R - Group 97R - CCA 600 - CA 95RC

I had already purchased a NOCO GBX45 Lithium Jump Starter and later on a NOCO Genious2 smart trickle charger to deal with the parasitic draw issues as noted above.
You can purchase an adapter to help you connect either the jump starter or the trickle charger with easy to plug in water proof and 10 amp fused connections: GBC007 Boost Eyelet Cable w/ X-Connect Adapter but as mentioned above you'll need to drill out the eyelets to directly connect to the battery as it comes with M6 1/4" holes and you need to open up holes to a M10 3/8" for connection to battery posts.

And since, as mentioned above, Lexus hasn't addressed the parasitic draw issues on the battery as your car sits unused, I'll be keeping this new battery hooked up to the trickle charger when garaged to maintain a healthy charge.
Similar setup for me as well. I do have the genius 5 instead. After my battery change, when I do short drives, i come home and leave the car running until it auto power off. I keep it in the garage, while it stays running for at least 15 minutes.