NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Run Flat Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-23 | 11:17 AM
djspazz
Driver School Candidate

I have have my RF's on the stock rims sitting in my shed right now. Two of the tires got nails within the first couple of months and I had to replace the tires. Thank goodness I had purchased the prepaid servicing which included tire protection. I didn't have to pay for the replacements. With that being said, the noise was not too bad and it handled okay too. Despite this, I replaced both summers and winters with non-RFs on aftermarket rims. I'm running 20's for winter and 22's for summer. Haven't noticed any significant difference in mileage. I didn't buy a spare tire, but have a good quality portable air compressor for the car and bought a professional tire repair kit and jack from Amazon.
Old 05-17-23 | 12:22 PM
2ball
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nayon
The pro of Run Flats are that you can still drive with them on for limited amount of KM (typically long enough for you to get to a tire shop, look at the tire spec to find out exactly how long you can drive on it for).

The con is that they are typically not fixable and they're loud than their non-Run Flat counterpart.
yep, typically wont repair a run flat if you driven on it and what's the chances the are going to have another run flat tire that will match the ones you have. seems like a problem waiting to happen.
Old 05-18-23 | 06:55 AM
jgrnt1
Rookie

9K miles on my run-flats and I got a screw stuck in the right rear tire last week. It was still holding some air. I went to Discount Tire. They said they could patch it, since there was no side-wall damage. Patched for free and back on the road. That's why I continue to go to Discount Tire. They could very easily have said "Run-flats can't be patched" and sold me a couple of tires.

I'm still not sure what I'll do when these wear out. I like the idea of regular tires and a spare, but I do not want to give up the rear storage space. I may just go with regular tires and rely on roadside assistance if I have a problem.
The following 4 users liked this post by jgrnt1:
Doug007 (05-18-23), jardlr (05-18-23), SgtLip (05-18-23), weaver483 (05-18-23)
Old 05-18-23 | 08:09 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Agree on Discount (Americas) Tires being a very reputable company. I plan on switching out to more traditional tires when these wear out and carry the Modern Spare only when traveling remotely.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug007:
romer (05-18-23), SgtLip (05-18-23)
Old 05-18-23 | 08:49 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by Doug007
Agree on Discount (Americas) Tires being a very reputable company. I plan on switching out to more traditional tires when these wear out and carry the Modern Spare only when traveling remotely.

That's my plan as well. I have the Modern Spare but only put it in the car on long trips. I like Discount (Americas) Tires as well. They are the only ones I can find that offer a Military Discount. Having said that, TireRack is cheaper even with the Discount Tire Military Discount. The fees they charge run the bill up pretty high.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (05-18-23)
Old 05-20-23 | 08:06 PM
TheNorth
4th Gear

Default Spare storage

Can you please share some information about spare, like do you keep this in trunk or figured out a way to store it under trunk floor?
Thanks for information

We have 18" run flats. I run winter tires and really didn't notice much of a difference in noise or comfort. The run flats handle more crisply than the softer winters, however. I did purchase the spare tire kit from Modern Spare as we live in a rural area. I only haul it around on long trips though. When these run flats wear out I'll go the traditional route but didn't want to spend the extra money on replacing what seem to be perfectly good tires. I figure with my driving and using the winters 5 months out of the year, I can get at least 2-3 seasons out of the OEMs.
Old 05-20-23 | 08:11 PM
TheNorth
4th Gear

Default Spare tire used?

Thanks for the info, did you ever use or tested spare? What do you think about quality of spare and tools it come with?

We have 18" run flats. I run winter tires and really didn't notice much of a difference in noise or comfort. The run flats handle more crisply than the softer winters, however. I did purchase the spare tire kit from Modern Spare as we live in a rural area. I only haul it around on long trips though. When these run flats wear out I'll go the traditional route but didn't want to spend the extra money on replacing what seem to be perfectly good tires. I figure with my driving and using the winters 5 months out of the year, I can get at least 2-3 seasons out of the OEMs.
Old 05-21-23 | 05:13 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

I have the 23 450H+ and there is no room under the cargo hatch for the Modern Spare to fit. I personally haven't torn the backend out to see for myself. I am going of the video @lsft posted. With the placement of the 12V battery and all the extra stuff on the passenger side due to the EV connections there just isn't any room.

We have decided pretty much to put the Modern Spare in the cargo area for long trips. For just around town we take it out. All of the tools in the kit are pretty good. I have used all of them to take the rear wheels off while installing the Mud Guards I picked up. The jack and wrenches all fit in the styrofoam piece under the rear hatch. They don't rattle around at all. So I'm pretty pleased with the quality of the spare and tools provided.

Hope that helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by SgtLip:
Doug007 (05-24-23), lsft (05-21-23)
Old 05-21-23 | 07:16 AM
TheNorth
4th Gear

Default Thank you for detailed information

great, thanks a lot for detailed information… I really appreciate the quick response, I’m planning to order from modern spare and hopefully they will ship to Canada/Ontario without too much shipping cost.
Thanks again!

Originally Posted by SgtLip
I have the 23 450H+ and there is no room under the cargo hatch for the Modern Spare to fit. I personally haven't torn the backend out to see for myself. I am going of the video @lsft posted. With the placement of the 12V battery and all the extra stuff on the passenger side due to the EV connections there just isn't any room.

We have decided pretty much to put the Modern Spare in the cargo area for long trips. For just around town we take it out. All of the tools in the kit are pretty good. I have used all of them to take the rear wheels off while installing the Mud Guards I picked up. The jack and wrenches all fit in the styrofoam piece under the rear hatch. They don't rattle around at all. So I'm pretty pleased with the quality of the spare and tools provided.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-21-23 | 11:51 AM
TheCDN
Intermediate

I'm here in Southern Ontario Canada and like most rustbelt areas here and in US, the inconsistent road surface is as much to blame for 'road noise' as the tires are. Some of our roads have very old asphalt that has a 'pebbly' rough surface. Hence a little noisier, and newer asphalt is nice and quiet. Plus I find the tread pattern that the tire manufacturer chooses will undoubtably 'favour' certain road surfaces while others will make the tires 'sing'. We just returned from driving to Florida in April - (4200 km / 3600 m round trip). I had specifically switched back to my OE 20" 50 series RF tires and rims for the trip, not wanting to drive all that distance in the warm weather and snows on. Some road surfaces the tires were pleasantly quiet, others not so much. My 18" 60 series Continental snows did the same thing. You can't always choose what road you want to travel on so your stuck with bad roads sometimes. As for the tire sound, ehh, it's not as bad as driving in a dump truck at 70 miles an hour! The RF's are quiet enough, but whoa are they heavy! I weighed the OE 20" rim and RF tire at 65 pounds and my Canadian Tire 18" alloy and 60 series snows were 50 pounds each, that's 15 pounds a tire/rim combo heavier. Keep in mind I used a cheapo bathroom scale but still I thought they were heavier when I went to store them last fall so I weighed them in April.

Still, I will be putting on some Michelin Cross Climate 2's when the time comes to replace the summer tires. I've trusted Michelin's for many years. Not worried about flats where I live in mostly urban settings. I've lived with nails and screws in my tires in the past. Just pump them up and get where you need to go, usually tire will hold a good pressure for a few hours of careful driving, and then patch it if possible. I'm 57, use to drive 30-60,000 kms a year for many years, never experienced a blow out. Mind you I pay attention and always avoid hazards on the road, even plastic bags or garbage on road is avoided.
lsft (05-29-23)
Old 05-21-23 | 07:46 PM
Skell6009
Driver

Originally Posted by TheNorth
great, thanks a lot for detailed information… I really appreciate the quick response, I’m planning to order from modern spare and hopefully they will ship to Canada/Ontario without too much shipping cost.
Thanks again!
If you have the regular 250 or 350, see my thread about storing the spare under the cover.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...for-350-a.html
Doug007 (05-24-23)
Old 06-07-23 | 06:12 PM
Sounds
Advanced

I located the perfect NX350 Luxury aside from color but I can live with the Cloudburst/Black-Red. I am reluctantly passing as I'm uncomfortable without a spare. Also the NX comes with 1 fob lately. Safety and security is a must have on my end... I cannot do without a spare and 2nd fob. To those that have an NX... good luck and enjoy. It's a great SUV

Last edited by Sounds; 06-07-23 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-07-23 | 06:31 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sounds
I located the perfect NX350 Luxury aside from color but I can live with the Cloudburst/Black-Red. I am reluctantly passing as I'm uncomfortable without a spare. Also the NX comes with 1 fob lately. Safety and security is a must have on my end... I cannot do without a spate and 2nd fob. To those that have an NX... good luck and enjoy. It's a great SUV
Yeah, the spare key and spare tires are issues. I guess I will have to buy a spare tire for road trips once the RFs wears out.
The RX350H does have a spare tire, you may want to consider it.
Old 06-07-23 | 06:36 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by lexsc4
Yeah, the spare key and spare tires are issues. I guess I will have to buy a spare tire for road trips once the RFs wears out.
The RX350H does have a spare tire, you may want to consider it.
Hi... can't wait for one. I wanted to take an NX off the lot within the next 2 weeks. I located a nice one at Princeton Lexus. About 1 hour drive.
Old 06-07-23 | 06:40 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sounds
Hi... can't wait for one. I wanted to take an NX off the lot within the next 2 weeks. I located a nice one at Princeton Lexus. About 1 hour drive.
I thought you didn't wanted a NX due to no spare tire?

Quick Reply: Run Flat Tires