NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

adding kick sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-23, 12:47 AM
Aloha808
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default adding kick sensor

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has added a kick sensor after purchase to their car? Does anyone know if there is additional programing involved or if you just plug it in to the wire? Does anyone have access to the diagram or has anyone uninstalled a kick sensor if they added a activity mount hitch?
Old 05-12-23, 08:44 AM
azieba
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think it is possible to add it without some programming as there are options to turn it on and off (and adjust trunk door height) within the infotainment menu. The kick sensor still works (although only to the right of the activity mounts hitching point) so I don't believe people have uninstalled it. That said, some may have had theirs replaced with a different unit if they installed the full towing capable hitch as that seems to be what the dealer recommends.

In the super long towing hitch thread, I thought someone posted a link to the copy of the towing hitch installation instructions on Toyota's European tech site, which may address the kick sensor replacement, but I don't know that for sure. I imagine it would as it is in the rear bumper cover and the bumper has to be removed for the official Lexus hitch installation. I installed the activity mount myself and those instructions do not cover any kick sensor information.
Old 05-12-23, 10:51 AM
Mylexus2
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not think it is possible. Spoke with my service advisor while I was at the dealership and he has never heard a customer adding the / programing the kick sensor afterword.
Old 05-14-23, 01:49 AM
Aloha808
Rookie

I took the plunge and used $420 from a credit I got when I bought to purchase the kick sensor part from my dealer. Special order non refundable so if it doesn't work im out of luck. Wish they allowed me to add it for $400 when I bought it. I'm going to install it myself which will require removing the rear bumper at least. Then I will see whether there are other wires that need to be added as well and hopefully no programing from the dealer for the option on the infotainment system. I will report back, in the meantime does anyone have access to Lexus's parts diagram / schematics? I'd love to see anything showing the wires and parts under the rear bumper even if they don't show the kick sensor. If I succeed I will document the process in photos so others in the future can either show their dealer its possible or do it themself.
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (05-14-23)
Old 05-15-23, 05:26 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Aloha808
I took the plunge and used $420 from a credit I got when I bought to purchase the kick sensor part from my dealer. Special order non refundable so if it doesn't work im out of luck. Wish they allowed me to add it for $400 when I bought it. I'm going to install it myself which will require removing the rear bumper at least. Then I will see whether there are other wires that need to be added as well and hopefully no programing from the dealer for the option on the infotainment system. I will report back, in the meantime does anyone have access to Lexus's parts diagram / schematics? I'd love to see anything showing the wires and parts under the rear bumper even if they don't show the kick sensor. If I succeed I will document the process in photos so others in the future can either show their dealer its possible or do it themself.

Please let us know if you can add this feature to the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by toyotaman7:
Aloha808 (05-15-23), Doug007 (05-17-23)
Old 05-15-23, 12:05 PM
Aloha808
Rookie

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I will report back and will document the entire process as well so others that work on their car will be able to as well. If anyone has access to the parts diagram for the rear bumper that would be helpful. Especially if they can see a diagram with the screws and part numbers with/without the kick sensor. That would be extremely helpful. 2023 NX350h or really any 2022/2023 NX.
Old 05-15-23, 04:37 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

I will report back and will document the entire process as well so others that work on their car will be able to as well. If anyone has access to the parts diagram for the rear bumper that would be helpful. Especially if they can see a diagram with the screws and part numbers with/without the kick sensor. That would be extremely helpful. 2023 NX350h or really any 2022/2023 NX.
@Aloha808 If you check with your local Lexus Parts Dealer, they can provide you with installation instructions. I believe you mentioned you purchased Lexus Part. They have install instructions for their mechanics. I purchased their Mud Guards and they provided detailed install instructions once I asked.

The following 2 users liked this post by SgtLip:
CdO (05-17-23), Doug007 (05-17-23)
Old 05-17-23, 11:12 AM
djspazz
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I'm anxiously awaiting if this can be added. I have this feature on my other car and it is so useful when my hands are full.
Old 05-17-23, 11:18 AM
Aloha808
Rookie

Originally Posted by djspazz
Yes, I'm anxiously awaiting if this can be added. I have this feature on my other car and it is so useful when my hands are full.
It will likely be 5 weeks before I install as the part is still on order and I leave for a 3.5 week vacation in a week. I will report back. I have a feeling it can be done based on what I've read on RAV4 forums about the software automatically adding the option once the part is added. Would make sense too that they don't have many different versions of software. It seems likely the kick sensor simply taps into the same system the regular button taps into. Obviously this only applies to people with power lift gates already as most people probably have as it was required at my dealership.
The following users liked this post:
djspazz (05-17-23)
Old 10-02-23, 12:33 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7

(IYKWIM lol)

Originally Posted by SgtLip
@Aloha808 If you check with your local Lexus Parts Dealer, they can provide you with installation instructions. I believe you mentioned you purchased Lexus Part. They have install instructions for their mechanics. I purchased their Mud Guards and they provided detailed install instructions once I asked.
Aloha, I agree with this, iI'd try to contact Bell Lexus on their eBay store (they normally respond pretty fast within 24 hours for simple inquiries), or email them using info on their part store contact page. I'd simply tell them my VIN and I want to buy ALL the parts needed for this, and ask for a quote and an instructional sheet for the job. If they know they will respond since most people ordering from them are very heavy DYIers...

p/s: keep us posted on how this turns out for you, either way I hope you the best!