NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Am I blinding others with the headlights of my NX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-23, 04:50 PM
drox
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Am I blinding others with the headlights of my NX?

My previous car was an IS and I was constantly blinded by the headlights of SUVs and trucks. It drove me crazy but now that I am in the NX, I am not blinded anymore.

But I wonder if I have added to the problem and if I am blinding people in sedans...
Old 05-14-23, 04:53 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

Depends on what headlights and autobeam options you have I suppose. I think most NX have the auto highbeams which of course you can turn off. Some (I think with the triple beam headlights) have something called shaded headlights. The 6 headlights automatically adjust to make sure not to point directly at oncoming vehicles or vehicles in front in the same lane.
Old 05-14-23, 04:55 PM
drox
Driver

I turned off auto high beams since I almost always drive in the city with streetlights. I'll manually enable high beams if I need them.

I do not have the triple-beam headlights.
Old 05-14-23, 07:56 PM
Hsunami
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you turn on auto high beam? I have the triple-beam, but the high beam isn't automatic?
Old 05-14-23, 08:40 PM
drox
Driver

Originally Posted by Hsunami
How do you turn on auto high beam? I have the triple-beam, but the high beam isn't automatic?
The automatic high beam can be turned on/off with a button at the end of the left lever.

I disable it because automatic systems aren't perfect and high beams are not needed in a well-lit city like the one I live in. When I am driving outside of the city I enable it, sometimes.

I leave the automatic low beam enabled all of the time.
Old 05-14-23, 11:15 PM
Hsunami
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drox
The automatic high beam can be turned on/off with a button at the end of the left lever.
Do all models have this function? I don’t think there’s anything for me to push in.
Old 05-15-23, 05:24 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Hsunami
Do all models have this function? I don’t think there’s anything for me to push in.
I believe every Lexus and Toyota comes with Automatic high beam

For now only Canadian models with the multi beam (Quad beams for Canada) have the intelligent high beam that adjust Beam according to what is in front.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (05-16-23)
Old 05-15-23, 08:52 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Step 1) Ensure headlights are legal, stock, and properly adjusted. If your car is new, it's properly adjusted. This is a easy bar to clear.
Step 2) Realize that the world and its roads are a dynamic place. Things that can cause "blinding" (really, glare) headlights is: height mismatch (SUVs vs cars), angle of road (if your car happens to be pointing up at their car), and just general car movement. The world is not perfect and at some point headlights will glare.

A big mitigating factor is headlight technology. For example the headlights on my car (See profile info) has Matrix LED headlights with PixXCel technology. It has 102 individual LEDs per headlight that can be switched on and off for oncoming cars based on their position, if we ever get the software update now that legislation is cleared... So if we start seeing this tech on new cars, this will help. But that won't be for a long, long time as all kinds of cars with ALL KINDS of headlights in ALL kinds of conditions are out there.

I always respond to these types of posts cause people don't really understand headlights. In short, we just have to live with the fact that SOME headlights in SOME situations will be "blinding" aka uncomfortable to look at.

The lifted trucks with poor HID/LED modifications in halogen headlights, yes be mad at those. But don't be mad at fresh off the lot cars. That's just the industry. And yes some cars at some times will be pointed into your mirrors. Roads aren't perfectly flat and cars do not stay still.

Hope this helps on perspective...
The following users liked this post:
hintonwood (05-15-23)
Old 05-15-23, 09:08 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Step 1) Ensure headlights are legal, stock, and properly adjusted. If your car is new, it's properly adjusted. This is a easy bar to clear.
Step 2) Realize that the world and its roads are a dynamic place. Things that can cause "blinding" (really, glare) headlights is: height mismatch (SUVs vs cars), angle of road (if your car happens to be pointing up at their car), and just general car movement. The world is not perfect and at some point headlights will glare.

A big mitigating factor is headlight technology. For example the headlights on my car (See profile info) has Matrix LED headlights with PixXCel technology. It has 102 individual LEDs per headlight that can be switched on and off for oncoming cars based on their position, if we ever get the software update now that legislation is cleared... So if we start seeing this tech on new cars, this will help. But that won't be for a long, long time as all kinds of cars with ALL KINDS of headlights in ALL kinds of conditions are out there.

I always respond to these types of posts cause people don't really understand headlights. In short, we just have to live with the fact that SOME headlights in SOME situations will be "blinding" aka uncomfortable to look at.

The lifted trucks with poor HID/LED modifications in halogen headlights, yes be mad at those. But don't be mad at fresh off the lot cars. That's just the industry. And yes some cars at some times will be pointed into your mirrors. Roads aren't perfectly flat and cars do not stay still.

Hope this helps on perspective...
I didn't know that Tesla is allowed to sell matrix headlights in USA. All other OEMs avoid using those in US.
Old 05-15-23, 10:09 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I brought ours in for the 5k mile service and asked for the low to be adjusted down. It's about 8 feet high at 30 yards. They said no, that's where they want them to be. We get flashed about every 10th car in the dark. Bought at Christmas in the north, it's warm enough to have a look at some Saturday afternoon now.
Old 05-15-23, 11:06 AM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 155 Posts

My wife hates the auto high beam feature, so I turned it off. After doing it 3 times myself, I taught her how to do it herself
Old 05-15-23, 01:51 PM
andys1548
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Your headlights are made the way they are. It’s not your fault for blinding others. You did nothing to blind people. It’s the people that have no self awareness and leave their high beams on 24/7 the problem. I personally like to use auto high beam. It was first introduced to me on an Acura and I love it. But sometimes I get the odd guy that flashes their high beams thinking I flashed mine but they were just turning off for oncoming cars