NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Change tailgate lock button to just close and lock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 03:51 AM
Aloha808
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Change tailgate lock button to just close and lock?

Hate the lock button on the tailgate because 90% of the time it doesn't detect when I walk away. Is there a way to make it simply close and lock without having to walk to the side and then finger my door latch? Really stupid design by lexus because it doesn't work and confuses everyone that uses it.
The following users liked this post:
Mrnovanova (09-26-23)
Old 05-25-23, 05:16 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

It took me a good 2 months to figure this thing out, I struggled a lot as well but I have it down 99.46103% now. These are my golden rules:
  • Don't have key fob in the hand that presses the button (this one is actually in the manual), or near the open hatch door
  • After pressing the button take 2 steps back but do not walk further away until hatch door starts moving.
  • If the keys are in your pocket or bag, make sure the side of your body with that pocket or bag is facing the vehicle.
  • Do not approach the vehicle once the hatch starts moving (it will stop where it is, but if its very close to being fully closed, it will look closed but it isn't)
I believe the main issue here is that in order for the close and lock button to succeed, it must detect the key fob so you have to be close enough to the car, but it also must not think the fob is still in the car, so there is a sweet spot just far enough back but not too far. I do get some strange looks sometimes doing angled pelvic thrusts towards my hatch making sure it can still detect the key in my pocket
The following users liked this post:
LStoneX (05-25-23)
Old 05-25-23, 06:12 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
It took me a good 2 months to figure this thing out, I struggled a lot as well but I have it down 99.46103% now. These are my golden rules:
  • Don't have key fob in the hand that presses the button (this one is actually in the manual), or near the open hatch door
  • After pressing the button take 2 steps back but do not walk further away until hatch door starts moving.
  • If the keys are in your pocket or bag, make sure the side of your body with that pocket or bag is facing the vehicle.
  • Do not approach the vehicle once the hatch starts moving (it will stop where it is, but if its very close to being fully closed, it will look closed but it isn't)
I believe the main issue here is that in order for the close and lock button to succeed, it must detect the key fob so you have to be close enough to the car, but it also must not think the fob is still in the car, so there is a sweet spot just far enough back but not too far. I do get some strange looks sometimes doing angled pelvic thrusts towards my hatch making sure it can still detect the key in my pocket
A good case of us working for the tech, instead of the tech working for us.

The following 2 users liked this post by Randyp1234:
bt10 (05-25-23), Mrnovanova (09-26-23)
Old 05-25-23, 09:47 AM
Aloha808
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
If I walk around the side it never works, this is required most of the time at places I park at regularly. If there is a way to change the button programming to just close and lock it that would be very helpful. It just doesn't work frequently enough for it to be trusted.
Old 05-25-23, 11:22 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 578 Likes on 385 Posts

I'm not aware of a way to just change it to a lock and close button.
Old 05-25-23, 12:13 PM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by Aloha808
If I walk around the side it never works, this is required most of the time at places I park at regularly. If there is a way to change the button programming to just close and lock it that would be very helpful. It just doesn't work frequently enough for it to be trusted.
It might only work from the hatch wireless sensor, not from any of the door sensors. When I do it, I either step back, or step horizontally. I never step up beside the vehicle.
Old 05-25-23, 04:55 PM
Thuwaragan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've kept the keys in my pocket and haven't had issues with the close and lock button on the tailgate. One thing I learned early on is to hit that button then wait a second or two until you hear it beep, pause, beep again. After the second set beep, you're free to walk away whenever and it closes and locks.
Old 09-24-23, 01:05 PM
NX350Turbo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aloha808
When I back into my garage (which is barely deep enough to safely open the tailgate), I can close-and-lock with near 100% success, stepping quickly toward the driver's rear door. Because there's never even a foot of space between the car and the rear wall, I have to reach for the button at an angle, kind-of behind the drivers side rear tail light. I couldn't and behind the car if I wanted to, because the tailgate would be coming down into my face. I can't step back, because the wall is in the way.

On the other hand -- Several times a week, I park in a spacious parking lot where I work out, yet the dadblasted close-and-lock button almost never works there. No matter what I do or don't do, it rarely ever works. And I park away from others, so there's absolutely nothing behind the car to keep it from closing. Just an open parking lot.
Old 09-26-23, 10:23 AM
Ryko
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you didn't know there's a tiny lock button right beside where the tailgate release switch/button is, I believe it's on the right. You can close the trunk via inside then and click the button and it'll lock your car, rather than having to take the keys out of your pocket.

Old 10-03-23, 04:28 AM
Skedadle
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Ryko
If you didn't know there's a tiny lock button right beside where the tailgate release switch/button is, I believe it's on the right. You can close the trunk via inside then and click the button and it'll lock your car, rather than having to take the keys out of your pocket.

This ^^ is what I use. Shut the trunk lid. Press the lock button next to the open/close button. I'm not sure I even understand the whole rest of the thread or what people are trying to accomplish
Old 10-03-23, 05:59 AM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by Skedadle
I'm not sure I even understand the whole rest of the thread or what people are trying to accomplish
The discussion is about the dual function close & lock button on the inside of the hatch. Yes, you can press the close button, hang around for a while, then press the lock button on the back of the door as you indicate, but ideally press the inside button and walk away, car does the rest. Problem is, its a tad sensitive and has a bigger learning curve then hanging around by the gate to do the same steps manually.
Old 11-09-23, 04:34 AM
GoldenYear
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I reset the tailgate according to the youtube video and it worked ok a few days but now the foot doesn't open the tailgate. I just give up.
Old 11-12-23, 07:37 AM
DenverRx
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

I've had this issue too. My 16' RX had 1 close button. Push once to close, twice to close & lock. Never failed. I don't think it was sensing the keyfob.