NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Navigation settings

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 08:29 AM
Malky
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Navigation settings

Hello, new member and owner. Have a question for the very knowledgeable community here. I own a 2024 NX350H with the 14in display. Is there any way to change the navigation defaults? When I get in the car I change the options to 3d view and zoom the camera in. Soon as I change functions or turn off the car it reverts back to 2d view and zooms out.

Thanks

Last edited by Malky; 06-07-23 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-07-23, 05:34 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Good Luck. I have a 2023 NX450H+ and haven't figured it out yet myself. I've gotten to the point where I'm using Apple CarPlay more now. Hopefully someone has broke the code and can explain.

Old 06-07-23, 07:40 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

There is a 2d and 3d view on the navigation map. I've not seen those options, where?
Old 06-08-23, 06:19 AM
Malky
Driver

Click the compass icon. This will change the orientation of the map (IE north facing, direction of vehicle, 3D or 2D). Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, the system doesn't remember and reverts back to factory default settings on start up.

Last edited by Malky; 06-08-23 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-09-23, 01:00 PM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

There's no options in the current navigation setting to set default views. I noticed the same problem as the OP.
It will always go back to the default 2D zoom out view.

Cross your finger and hope Lexus will update the software to have a setting for this.

Keep waiting.
Old 06-09-23, 01:05 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Malky
Click the compass icon. This will change the orientation of the map (IE north facing, direction of vehicle, 3D or 2D). Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, the system doesn't remember and reverts back to factory default settings on start up.
Ah thanks, I had not noticed the difference before, quite subtle, but I see it now. Not only does it not hold the setting on startup, it doesn't even hold the setting if you change to a difference screen (like the radio) and back.
Old 06-09-23, 05:14 PM
riceman4k
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This is one of my frustrations too. I do the exact same as you: press the compass twice to get to 3D, then zoom in twice. I noticed after the recent update that it doesn't even keep me in 3D view after switching screens, such as going to settings and then back to map.
Old 06-09-23, 07:48 PM
azieba
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you putting a destination and letting it route you or are you just displaying the map as you drive. I use the Nav everyday I go into the office (to find the best route there and home in Chicago traffic). When it is navigating it always goes to 3D for me. I have 23 F-Sport with the 14in screen. When I don’t use it to route me, it stays in 2D.
Old 06-12-23, 07:44 AM
Malky
Driver

I'm just using the navigation without routing when I travel to work. The bulk of my trips are without routing. Either way the system should remember the users settings whether it's routing or not, IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by Malky:
Doug007 (06-14-23), SgtLip (06-12-23)
Old 06-14-23, 07:43 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been following this thread and had a question. Since I understand that the subscription navigation system is cloud based and not satellite based, what is the advantage to using this system over Apple CarPlay? I've downloaded Google Maps for sketchy cell areas and have a back up Garmin for the boondocks. Perhaps I'm missing something. I do miss the satellite based system from our gen 1 NX.
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 08:15 AM
Malky
Driver

Guessing they switch to the cloud based system for extra revenue. Lots of car manufacturers are trying to figure out ways to make us pay a monthly fee. I'm still early into my 3 year free subscription but ... I think their monthly fee is a bit high for what it is. The monthly fee would need to drop below $10 a month for me to subscribe. I would also need to see timely fixes for their software, no way I'm paying a subscription for a service that takes a year to fix bugs.
SgtLip (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 08:24 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Malky
Guessing they switch to the cloud based system for extra revenue. Lots of car manufacturers are trying to figure out ways to make us pay a monthly fee. I'm still early into my 3 year free subscription but ... I think their monthly fee is a bit high for what it is. The monthly fee would need to drop below $10 a month for me to subscribe. I would also need to see timely fixes for their software, no way I'm paying a subscription for a service that takes a year to fix bugs.
I agree 110%. Plus a system that you can’t save your personal settings. Such as 2D/3D, zoom in/out. I can use CarPlay and save money in the process. To have to pay for access to an address that I use consistently over and over seems senseless and money grabbing. I’d like a slot to put a memory card in and I could save my addresses and not need the cloud.

Just curious, I wonder if the system pings the cloud for an address you send to the car in the app? My Garmin doesn’t charge for map updates or anything once you purchase a device. As much as this system costs, we shouldn’t have to pay anything more. But that’s my opinion.

Old 06-14-23, 08:56 AM
Malky
Driver

My previous vehicle was a 2018 Audi SQ5. Its navigation was also subscription based. But ... the subscription only involved the google overlay that shows photo realistic images of trees, buildings and roads. You still had basic navigation without the subscription. Wished Toyota/Lexus had kept the basic navigation for non-subscribers. Apparently they are doing something similar to Audi but backward. Using google maps but overlaying their interface over it.

Last edited by Malky; 06-14-23 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-14-23, 11:58 AM
azieba
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So it is not completely cloud in the same sense as Apple or Google. The traffic and routing feels realtime like them, as well as destination search and Alexa like capabilities. Something’s are still like traditional nav, just not stored on the head unit. It uses Maps that are not from Google but rather on a server in the cloud that has its maps managed by Here (fka Navteq or Nokia) It downloads maps like once a month according to some literature I read.

Our office has 2 entrances. One on Milwaukee and one on Sanders Road. The address is literally on Sanders road, but it wants me route around the back way (extra 1/2 mile). I used Lexus/Toyotas process to ask for a map update to include the 10 feet of driveway to connect our office and Sanders Road. That was 3 months ago and still the maps are not fixed. So, Apple or Google Maps will be more up to date. Right now, since it is free for my 14in screen, I am using it. When they want me to pay, I will walk away to Apple or Google maps as I agree with the above comments, way too expensive for what you get.

I think the car manufacturers are just trying to figure out how to hold on to Nav money tree like they had in the past with Apple and Google giving them a run for their money.

SgtLip (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 12:56 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

I just use Waze, have it up 100% of the time, along with music streaming (Stingray). Big enough data plan to cover this and more.
SgtLip (06-14-23)

Quick Reply: Navigation settings