NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Charging battery after jumping, leaving running, but dashboard lights went off

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23, 03:28 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Charging battery after jumping, leaving running, but dashboard lights went off

I am changing the title of this thread and the first post to now ask about the second issue I am having instead of doing the second thread. After jumping battery we left running in garage for two hours but after an hour or more my wife went to check and the dashboard lights were off and speedometer etc but headlights were still on because I have them on auto; we were supposed to leave it running so the battery could charge as the battery was very very dead according to Lexus Roadside. Why were all the dashboard lights off like speedometer, was it still running?

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 06-10-23 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-09-23, 04:55 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,160 Likes on 750 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
SgtLip (06-09-23), Tarnshoe (06-10-23)
Old 06-09-23, 05:22 PM
harper7
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

And here is from the 350h manual minus the part that gets you in the locked NX.

The following 2 users liked this post by harper7:
SgtLip (06-09-23), Tarnshoe (06-10-23)
Old 06-09-23, 05:29 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by harper7
And here is from the 350h manual minus the part that gets you in the locked NX.

thanks

electronic key they mean key fob I hope.
Old 06-10-23, 07:12 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
thanks

electronic key they mean key fob I hope.
Now app won’t connect to the car so I’m assuming the battery is dead, will be calling Lexus Roadside soon.
Old 06-10-23, 11:19 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Door locked.

When roadside service gets there they will take the key out of the fob and open it but my wife doesn’t know how to do that.

A little disappointing that after only 30 days in normal weather that the car battery died and this situation is happening.

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 06-10-23 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-10-23, 12:13 PM
weaver483
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lexus roadside assistance will know how to jump start the car using the port located in the fuse box under the hood. Lexus has contracted with AAA for this service and they have a lot of experience with the NX dead 12V battery issue.
The following users liked this post:
LiBeRtAs (06-10-23)
Old 06-10-23, 12:55 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by weaver483
Lexus roadside assistance will know how to jump start the car using the port located in the fuse box under the hood. Lexus has contracted with AAA for this service and they have a lot of experience with the NX dead 12V battery issue.
roadside came and got it going but it took him many tries he says the battery is completely dead and wouldn’t be surprised if it wouldn’t charge even after a couple of hours so we will see.

leaving the car on in the garage with the garage door opened for two or three hours hoping that will charge it

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 06-10-23 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-10-23, 02:13 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

We left the car running in the garage with all of the lights on came out an hour later all the dashboard lights and everything were off so I had her start it again and leave it running but I don’t understand why the lights dashboard went off
Old 06-10-23, 02:57 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Default Second thread on this, sorry but I need to know about this

After jumping the 12 V battery in our 2022 Lexus 350 H, Lexus Roadside said to leave it running in garage for two hours but after an hour or more my wife went to check and most of the instrument panel lights were off like speedometer etc but headlights were still on because I have them on auto; we were supposed to leave it running so the battery could charge as the battery was very very dead according to Lexus Roadside. Why were all the dashboard lights off like speedometer, was it still running?

I am in medical facility for short term and I’m trying to do all this via FaceTime with my wife who is with the car at our house.

Lexus Roadside said the battery was so bad it took him many tries to get it jumped and even after running it for a couple of hours it might not work, so I wanna leave it running long as I can but I am confused about the lights on whether it’s running or not.

I think the dashboard was mostly off but the headlights were still on and I do have headlights on auto I should’ve probably turned them off.

We need this car on Monday to take me home from where I am because of the height off the ground so I need the damn thing to be working.

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 06-10-23 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-10-23, 04:40 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

After jumping the 12 V battery in our 2022 Lexus 350 H, Lexus Roadside said to leave it running in garage for two hours but after an hour or more my wife went to check and most of the instrument panel lights were off like speedometer etc but headlights were still on because I have them on auto; we were supposed to leave it running so the battery could charge as the battery was very very dead according to Lexus Roadside. Why were all the dashboard lights off like speedometer, was it still running?

I am in medical facility for short term and I’m trying to do all this via FaceTime with my wife who is with the car at our house.

Lexus Roadside said the battery was so bad it took him many tries to get it jumped and even after running it for a couple of hours it might not work, so I wanna leave it running long as I can but I am confused about the lights on whether it’s running or not.

I think the dashboard was mostly off but the headlights were still on and I do have headlights on auto I should’ve probably turned them off.

We need this car on Monday to take me home from where I am because of the height off the ground so I need the damn thing to be working.

APOLOGIZE but I don't know your question. Sorry.

Old 06-10-23, 05:00 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by SgtLip
APOLOGIZE but I don't know your question. Sorry.
?

did you see the first post in this thread, I don’t know what you’re telling me to do to, apologize? I guess I already did that, I had a question about leaving the car running in the first post of this thread
Old 06-10-23, 05:12 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

?

did you see the first post in this thread, I don’t know what you’re telling me to do to, apologize? I guess I already did that, I had a question about leaving the car running in the first post of this thread
I was apologizing because I don't understand your question if in fact there was one. Since you have a Hybrid, the best I understand is to Jump and run it, NOT idle as the engine will only start periodically. You have to sit there with your foot on the gas while in Park or run it up and down the road to get the gas engine to run and charge the battery. Idle in a Hybrid does not charge the 12V. The ONLY other option is to put it on a trickle charger.

Good Luck

Last edited by SgtLip; 06-10-23 at 05:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-10-23, 05:13 PM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm sorry, but I also don't understand the question...are you trying to tell if the car is running? At the risk of coming across like a jerk...if your wife presses the gas pedal down, does she hear a VROOM? If so, the car is running.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dorsai:
nitroracer (06-11-23), SgtLip (06-10-23)
Old 06-10-23, 05:17 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by SgtLip
I was apologizing because I don't understand your question if in fact there was one. Since you have a Hybrid, the best I understand is to Jump and run it, NOT idle as the engine will only start periodically. You have to sit there with your foot on the gas while in Park or run it up and down the road to get the gas engine to run and charge the battery. Idle in a Hybrid does not charge the 12V. The ONLY other option is to put it on a trickle charger.

Good Luck
not according to https://www.hyundaimotorgroup.com/st...00000000002069

Assume Hyundai and Lexus hybrid technology is similar. Maybe they are not I don’t know. The roadside service people told my wife to just walk away leave the car running even though the engine was not running and that would be charging the battery

I assumed the ICE had to be running for the 12 V battery to be charged but that is not what the guy said and not what is in some of the stuff I read online but I don’t know.

During the hour that the car was on and no one was in the garage I’m assuming the ICE came on and off and at some point the car shut itself off. Maybe the car was not on for a full hour because my wife did not go back out there until after an hour or more.

at this point it’s either charged or it isn’t

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 06-10-23 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Charging battery after jumping, leaving running, but dashboard lights went off