NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Can I wear 245/50/20 shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23 | 12:35 PM
chukuanyu
Driver School Candidate

Default Can I wear 245/50/20 shoes?

Hi all,

One quick but stupid question here...I wonder if I can replace run-flat 235/50/20 to 245/50/20 non run-flat tires? I live in NJ and I could not find any tire shop who carries non run-flat 235/50/20 all season tires. The tire-rack sells it for sure but the earliest delivery date is Sep 2023 which is crazy...

IF yes, do I need to buy a new set of rims too?

I am only considering either Michelin - Primacy All Season or Michelin - CrossClimate2; and these 2 tires are much easier to get with 245/50/20.

Thank you all in advance,

Last edited by chukuanyu; 06-12-23 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-23 | 08:39 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chukuanyu
Hi all,

One quick but stupid question here...I wonder if I can replace run-flat 235/50/20 to 245/50/20 non run-flat tires? I live in NJ and I could not find any tire shop who carries non run-flat 235/50/20 all season tires. The tire-rack sells it for sure but the earliest delivery date is Sep 2023 which is crazy...

IF yes, do I need to buy a new set of rims too?

I am only considering either Michelin - Primacy All Season or Michelin - CrossClimate2; and these 2 tires are much easier to get with 245/50/20.

Thank you all in advance,
Yes you can, I put 245/50R20 Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3s UTQG 800AA 102V on at 1,147 miles. What a difference. The 245s require an 8 inch wheel, the 20 inch Lexus wheels will accept a 7.5 to 8.5 tire. https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Amazon Amazon
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...erformance=ALL
Now if the car was as good as the tires everything would be wonderful-----------------that's about to be corrected.
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (06-16-23)
Old 06-13-23 | 04:45 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 43sbest

....The 245s require an 8 inch wheel, ???

the 20 inch Lexus wheels will accept a 7.5 to 8.5 tire. You mean a 245 tire, right???

You can look at the specs of any tire and it will tell you what rim width range it can be mounted on. Random 245 tires spec 7" to 8.5" wide.
Old 06-13-23 | 05:23 AM
chukuanyu
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, 43sbest and bt10.

I will go and get 245/50/20 and I will go with Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 too, which has the highest score on comfort category based on Tire Rack.

SgtLip (06-16-23)
Old 06-13-23 | 02:58 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chukuanyu
Thank you, 43sbest and bt10.

I will go and get 245/50/20 and I will go with Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 too, which has the highest score on comfort category based on Tire Rack.

I think you will like them, great ride and handling with less road noise than the OEM run flats. I got mine from Amazon, takes about 4 or 5 days after there shipped because they come from the west coast. These are not directional but do have an inside and outside.
SgtLip (06-16-23)
Old 06-16-23 | 03:02 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

I think you will like them, great ride and handling with less road noise than the OEM run flats. I got mine from Amazon, takes about 4 or 5 days after they're 43sbestshipped because they come from the west coast. These are not directional but do have an inside and outside.
@43sbest No, I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the Pirelli's. Been dragging my butt.

First time I've seen that about being directional and having an inside and outside. Where can I learn more about that and other things Pirelli? I remember awhile back on another thread I think (??) you said something about them having special mounting instructions. Is that information available somewhere so I can review it?

Thanks my friend.
Rathmullan (09-25-24)
Old 06-16-23 | 09:13 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SgtLip
@43sbest No, I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the Pirelli's. Been dragging my butt.

First time I've seen that about being directional and having an inside and outside. Where can I learn more about that and other things Pirelli? I remember awhile back on another thread I think (??) you said something about them having special mounting instructions. Is that information available somewhere so I can review it?

Thanks my friend.
Some tires are directional because of the tread design, it's obvious (from looking at the tread design) the Michelin Cross Climate 2 can only be mounted in one direction were as the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 is not. The Pirellis have an inside and outside which is on the sidewalls of the tire. The Michelins have "rotation direction" with an arrow on the sidewall.
See this https://www.google.com/searchq=are+p...hrome&ie=UTF-8.
Other than that they mount like any other tire, yellow dot on the inside of the tire should be opposite the valve stem.
Anyone that installs tires should know this, that said I would avoid Discount tire, Tire Kingdom and Pep Boys for anything.
SgtLip (06-17-23)
Old 06-16-23 | 09:16 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

Thanks my friend.
The entire url did not paste for some reason, try this.
https://www.google.com/search?q=are+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
SgtLip (06-17-23)
Old 06-17-23 | 07:46 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

The entire url did not paste for some reason, try this.
https://www.google.com/search?q=are+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Some tires are directional because of the tread design, it's obvious (from looking at the tread design) the Michelin Cross Climate 2 can only be mounted in one direction were as the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 is not. The Pirellis have an inside and outside which is on the sidewalls of the tire. The Michelins have "rotation direction" with an arrow on the sidewall.
See this https://www.google.com/searchq=are+p...hrome&ie=UTF-8.
Other than that they mount like any other tire, yellow dot on the inside of the tire should be opposite the valve stem.
Anyone that installs tires should know this, that said I would avoid Discount tire, Tire Kingdom and Pep Boys for anything.
@43sbest Thanks for the info. We just went from Crystal River to Daytona Beach (west coast to east coast) and there were a few sections of brand new asphalt on US40. The areas with new asphalt the RF's weren't too loud. But on the older sections of roadway you can barely have a conversation. Then if you add to the fact that I wear hearing aids, damn it was loud. So I pretty much decided to put the hearing aids in my pocket. But then I couldn't hear the radio or my wife. So it made me make my mind up to pull the trigger. So I'm going to start shopping prices and see who has the best deal.

Thanks again for your time and help. I am a total novice at tires. I usually buy Michelins and call it a day. But this has been a learning experience.
Old 06-17-23 | 10:22 AM
43sbest
Pit Crew

@43sbest Thanks for the info. We just went from Crystal River to Daytona Beach (west coast to east coast) and there were a few sections of brand new asphalt on US40. The areas with new asphalt the RF's weren't too loud. But on the older sections of roadway you can barely have a conversation. Then if you add to the fact that I wear hearing aids, damn it was loud. So I pretty much decided to put the hearing aids in my pocket. But then I couldn't hear the radio or my wife. So it made me make my mind up to pull the trigger. So I'm going to start shopping prices and see who has the best deal.

Thanks again for your time and help. I am a total novice at tires. I usually buy Michelins and call it a day. But this has been a learning experience.
Most Michelins are excellent tires but in this case for Florida or any place that doesn't get a lot of snow and ice the Pirelli Plus 3 is the way to go. I love the tires hate the car-----------------------but that's going to change next week.
Pirellis at Amazon, $187.14 with free shipping or Tire Rack and pay about $115 more after $80 Mastercard rebate (and hope you get it), find an independent shop that will install them before you buy. Do not buy from Sam's Club and expect them to install, they will only install OEM size.
SgtLip (06-17-23)
Old 06-17-23 | 10:36 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Most Michelins are excellent tires but in this case for Florida or any place that doesn't get a lot of snow and ice the Pirelli Plus 3 is the way to go. I love the tires hate the car-----------------------but that's going to change next week.
Pirellis at Amazon, $187.14 with free shipping or Tire Rack and pay about $115 more after $80 Mastercard rebate (and hope you get it), find an independent shop that will install them before you buy. Do not buy from Sam's Club and expect them to install, they will only install OEM size.
UPDATE AFTER BELOW post: Just placed order at Amazon. Couldn't pass on that good of price. Thanks @43sbest

@43sbest I have a question, does Amazon sell FRESH dated tires or are they OLD dated? I asked the mechanic/tire shop I go to and he offered Pirelli's and install at a decent price. Apologize I can't remember the number he quoted me (old age) but I figured if I get them from Amazon/TireRack I'd need to pay someone to install them, so price came out to about the same. I have 2,647 miles on the vehicle and was going to hold off until 5,000 mile service before swapping.

I USED to buy at Sam's Club but quit that once I learned about the manufactured dates on the tires they offered were extremely old. I guess that was why their prices were lower, selling old stock. Always wondered why they dry rotted so fast. Our Grandson graduated mechanic's Trade School in Orlando and went to work for Tire Kingdom. He left there and opened his own lawn service company. Seems like a waste of talent but he's enjoying it. He works on family cars if he can. Seems every time I ask him, he's busy. Strange how that happens!!! Anyway, I now take my vehicle to a local shop and he does a good job. Of coarse if I need Hyrid stuff done I'll have to trudge over a 100 miles to a Lexus Dealer for work and warranty type stuff.

Thanks again. Be safe out there. And let me know what you end up with when you rid yourself of the NX.

Last edited by SgtLip; 06-17-23 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Added UPDATE
Old 06-17-23 | 02:41 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

UPDATE AFTER BELOW post: Just placed order at Amazon. Couldn't pass on that good of price. Thanks @43sbest

@43sbest I have a question, does Amazon sell FRESH dated tires or are they OLD dated? I asked the mechanic/tire shop I go to and he offered Pirelli's and install at a decent price. Apologize I can't remember the number he quoted me (old age) but I figured if I get them from Amazon/TireRack I'd need to pay someone to install them, so price came out to about the same. I have 2,647 miles on the vehicle and was going to hold off until 5,000 mile service before swapping.

I USED to buy at Sam's Club but quit that once I learned about the manufactured dates on the tires they offered were extremely old. I guess that was why their prices were lower, selling old stock. Always wondered why they dry rotted so fast. Our Grandson graduated mechanic's Trade School in Orlando and went to work for Tire Kingdom. He left there and opened his own lawn service company. Seems like a waste of talent but he's enjoying it. He works on family cars if he can. Seems every time I ask him, he's busy. Strange how that happens!!! Anyway, I now take my vehicle to a local shop and he does a good job. Of coarse if I need Hyrid stuff done I'll have to trudge over a 100 miles to a Lexus Dealer for work and warranty type stuff.

Thanks again. Be safe out there. And let me know what you end up with when you rid yourself of the NX.
The date code of the Pirellis I bought from Amazon on January 15, 2023 is 3722 which means they were made in the 37th week of 2022. All four tires you receive may not have the same date code which is not uncommon but they will probably all be be made in 23.
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...your-tires-old
Good luck, hope you like them. I run mine at 36lbs cold. If you have an air compressor invest is a decent digital tire pressure gauge and replace the air chuck, both listed below. This gauge is remarkably accurate for the price but the chuck that comes with it doesn't lock on the valve stem very good.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
SgtLip (06-17-23)
Old 06-17-23 | 03:13 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

The date code of the Pirellis I bought from Amazon on January 15, 2023 is 3722 which means they were made in the 37th week of 2022. All four tires you receive may not have the same date code which is not uncommon but they will probably all be be made in 23.
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...your-tires-old
Good luck, hope you like them. I run mine at 36lbs cold. If you have an air compressor invest is a decent digital tire pressure gauge and replace the air chuck, both listed below. This gauge is remarkably accurate for the price but the chuck that comes with it doesn't lock on the valve stem very good.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'd love to own a compressor but I don't have one. When I purchased the Modern Spare, I picked up their 12V tire inflator just to toss in the cargo area under the deck. https://modernspare.com/product/mode...tire-inflator/
Hopefully it is close enough.
Old 06-17-23 | 09:21 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Anyone that installs tires should know this.
@43sbest This was new to me so I went searching this subject. Here is what I found: https://www.familyhandyman.com/artic...llow-dot-tire/

Where Are the Paint Dots Placed?

The yellow dots identify where a tire weighs the least — the lightest point on a tire. The yellow dot should be lined up and directly next to the valve stem, which is the wheel’s heaviest point.

The red dots identify where the tire is flattest — the lowest point on a tire. The red dot should be directly across from the highest point of the wheel, which is usually indicated by a colored dot or a notch on the wheel.

If a tire has a yellow and red dot, the red dot takes precedence when balancing the tire.
Is this opposite of what you've suggested above? Is there something different about these Pirelli's? Apologize but this is all new to me.

Last edited by SgtLip; 06-17-23 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Deleted a portion of text
Old 06-18-23 | 10:13 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

In my research I just ran across this video. I hope it helps others make a decision as to whether to run Regular Tires or stay with Run Flats.

Going to go see what Hankook has to offer size wise for the NX. Happy trails to you.

Quick Reply: Can I wear 245/50/20 shoes?