NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Million Dollar Question (maybe $2.00)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 11:15 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo
2023 450H+. I have always hand washed all my new cars the first year or at least uses touchless car wash in the winter. But this one only 7 months new have always been washed using non-touchless car wash. This alone tell you how much I love this car. If I am to replace this car right now I would be looking for a different brand altogether. I cannot love this car because of the software bugs of the multi-media system. Very often I will lose my Android Auto connection. One time I missed my highway exit because Android Auto was lost. It may also have to do with my Lexus dealership. It just feel low end compares to the Mercedes and Audi dealerships I go to for my other cars.
Sorry to hear. Reliability, no aggravation and quality dealer service is everything. What is Android connection? The Lexus system or your phone. This is my first Lexus. Like being in school. It gets an A until it proves differently. Good luck and hopefully you’re back to hand washing soon.

Last edited by Sounds; 06-15-23 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-15-23, 11:38 AM
GoLeafsGo
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
So to hear. Reliability, no aggravation and quality dealer service is everything. What is Android connection? The Lexus system or your phone. This is my first Lexus. Like being in school. It gets an A until it proves differently. Good luck and hopefully you’re back to hand washing soon.
Android Auto is between my phone and car. There are also other software bugs that drive me nut. Such as: randomly ask for PIN, using my wife's profile instead of mine even when she is not with me. Not moving the seat position to mine after my wife have driven the car even when the car loaded my profile. (Yes, I locked the doors.) The fear of relay theft causing us to disable the key fobs or put them in faraday bags has also make the car less enjoyable. My wife commented to me a few days ago, "What is the point of having keyless entry when she cannot use it". (Because I make her disable the key fob when parked.) The fear of car being stolen because Lexus is one of the highest stolen brand. My son's friend's father's Lexus RX was stolen off their driveway a few weeks ago. They live in the same neighborhood as us. These are some other reasons I don't love my Lexus NX.

Last edited by GoLeafsGo; 06-15-23 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-15-23, 12:49 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

I don't have the functionality issue you mention in mine. AA works great, we still only have 1 FOB though, so no issues with the Wife's profile as there isn't one. Not using the credit card key either, find it too thick to drag around. We are fine with 1 fob. Digital key works, but don't rely on it. Use it when moving the car in the driveway.

I hear you with the theft thing, my RX was stolen last December. However, no need for faraday cages for these new fobs. They automatically shut off after 30 seconds of no motion. So place it on your counter and 30 seconds later they stop communicating with the car. That's 1 step better.

I had a high end immobilizer installed for a few weeks. At first it worked well, but the valet mode didn't. I ended up having it removed because when I left the car in for service, I don't know what would happen when I went to restart it. Twice the immobilizer stopped working after a service visit. Had to get the it re-initialized, which required a 45 minute drive each way to the installer and a meting with the manufacturers rep. Then the Wife factor; what happens if the thing fails when she's away from home? So we decided as good as it appears, it's not reliable.

The shop that put it in didn't try to sell me another brand. His comment, until the aftermarket understands these cars better, he won't install anything in them because they don't work, yet. He doesn't want to waste his time doing the work twice, as he did with me and that other immobilizer. There are so many more computers connected to the CAN bus that it's going to take time for the aftermarket manufacturers to figure it out. He does sell Viper, but again, he wouldn't touch my NX.

So I have a club like steering wheel bar with a combination lock. Use that in what I consider high risk areas. I also have insurance coverage that pays full value for 5 years. Not that I want to go through it again, but if it's stolen, we'll get our money back. And then we'll buy something else, because manufacturers, all of them including Toyota/Lexus, could do so much more to prevent theft but just don't seem to want to.
The following 2 users liked this post by JasDmw:
GoLeafsGo (06-15-23), LStoneX (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 02:09 PM
jgrnt1
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

2022 350h Luxury -- Eminent-White Pearl, black leather, Advanced Park, digital mirror, triple-beam headlights with cornering lamps, Mark Levinson, panoramic monitor, LCA, front cross traffic alert, digital key / wireless charger, heated steering week, puddle lamps, all-weather floor and cargo mats.

I rarely use the digital mirror. Love the headlights and cornering lamps. The Mark Levinson upgrade is a must for me. The panoramic monitor and all the safety features are great. Wireless charger has been unreliable, even after an updated replacement (see all the threads about this). The heated steering wheel is wonderful. I'm not sure the puddle lamps matter to me from a functional standpoint. Having "Lexus" shining on the ground seems more of a vanity play than anything else. I love the 14" screen, though I rarely use the Lexus interface. I mostly run Apple CarPlay. The touch controls for heat/AC, seat heating and ventilation, etc., seem to work well.

In reference to your consideration of the Mercedes, I traded in a 2017 Audi A6 Prestige with the sports package. It had all the bells and whistles. Best vehicle I've ever owned from a driving perspective. It also cost an arm and a leg to maintain. I had several $1,500+ repair bills, in addition to the expensive regular maintenance. I forecast the cost of the next five years of ownership vs. trading it in for a new NX hybrid. It was a wash. Reliability, the lower cost of repairs, and the difference in mpg sealed the deal for me. I miss driving the Audi, but I smile every time I take my NX in for service or pull up to the gas pump.
Old 06-15-23, 02:21 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrnt1
2022 350h Luxury -- Eminent-White Pearl, black leather, Advanced Park, digital mirror, triple-beam headlights with cornering lamps, Mark Levinson, panoramic monitor, LCA, front cross traffic alert, digital key / wireless charger, heated steering week, puddle lamps, all-weather floor and cargo mats.

I rarely use the digital mirror. Love the headlights and cornering lamps. The Mark Levinson upgrade is a must for me. The panoramic monitor and all the safety features are great. Wireless charger has been unreliable, even after an updated replacement (see all the threads about this). The heated steering wheel is wonderful. I'm not sure the puddle lamps matter to me from a functional standpoint. Having "Lexus" shining on the ground seems more of a vanity play than anything else. I love the 14" screen, though I rarely use the Lexus interface. I mostly run Apple CarPlay. The touch controls for heat/AC, seat heating and ventilation, etc., seem to work well.

In reference to your consideration of the Mercedes, I traded in a 2017 Audi A6 Prestige with the sports package. It had all the bells and whistles. Best vehicle I've ever owned from a driving perspective. It also cost an arm and a leg to maintain. I had several $1,500+ repair bills, in addition to the expensive regular maintenance. I forecast the cost of the next five years of ownership vs. trading it in for a new NX hybrid. It was a wash. Reliability, the lower cost of repairs, and the difference in mpg sealed the deal for me. I miss driving the Audi, but I smile every time I take my NX in for service or pull up to the gas pump.
We had a 2006 and 2012 A6. They were executive race cars.
Old 06-15-23, 06:34 PM
GoLeafsGo
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
I hear you with the theft thing, my RX was stolen last December. However, no need for faraday cages for these new fobs. They automatically shut off after 30 seconds of no motion. So place it on your counter and 30 seconds later they stop communicating with the car. That's 1 step better.
Wow, I learnt something new. I just tried it and you are right. My key fob seems to stop communicating with the car after 30 seconds of sitting on a table. Thanks!!

UPDATE: I re-tested it again, and I don't think our key fobs stop communicating with the car after 30 seconds. It look like it is the distance from the car that makes it look like the key fob has stopped communicating with the car. But if I leave the key fob close to the car door, even a minute of not moving the key fob the car door still can be open.

Last edited by GoLeafsGo; 06-17-23 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-15-23, 07:18 PM
Allan441
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I currently have the 2023 NX 350 Luxury Cloudburst and the saddle interior. Love the color and the interior. I previously had a 2018 Volvo in denim Blue. It was time to change the exterior color and makes.
The following users liked this post:
Sounds (06-15-23)