NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Hunt goes on

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 05:24 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Hunt goes on

It's always about the hunt. No spare and 1 fob are serious deal breakers but I'm still in the game. What really impresses me is this forum/the members. I know I'll get great support if I purchase an NX. Choices are the NX and GLA35. The GLA35 looks best in red with leather...there are none around. And Mercedes service scares me. I'd have to travel for service and not in the mood for that. The local Merc dealer is out of the question. So back to the NX. I have 3 choices that are on the ground. One hour ride to either dealer.
I'd go for a NX350Lux. There's a Emi White/Red... Cloud/red.... Red/blk. I like all of them... I need to toss a 3 sided coin on this one. Tough decision but a good position to be in.
Old 06-14-23, 06:50 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 578 Likes on 385 Posts

The 1 fob is a temporary thing. The 2nd fob will come and you can try with the dealer to seal the deal and see if they can offer the second fob at the same time. The spare thing is a trend nowadays. They are equipped with run flats and many feel that they are noisy and would replacement to normal tires and have a repair kit. If you live in urban city this is not a problem as you will easily get a tow or you can drive it to the tire shop and get it replaced. But due to shortages, sometimes it may take a day or two to get the tire in stock for some shops.
Otherwise you can buy a spare tire and put it in the trunk when you need it. Some folks here have done that as well.

For me, driving for 30 years, I only needed that spare tire once and some cars, the spare tire is just added weight that I have not touched at all. So it depends on your priorities.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 07:08 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by lsft
The 1 fob is a temporary thing. The 2nd fob will come and you can try with the dealer to seal the deal and see if they can offer the second fob at the same time. The spare thing is a trend nowadays. They are equipped with run flats and many feel that they are noisy and would replacement to normal tires and have a repair kit. If you live in urban city this is not a problem as you will easily get a tow or you can drive it to the tire shop and get it replaced. But due to shortages, sometimes it may take a day or two to get the tire in stock for some shops.
Otherwise you can buy a spare tire and put it in the trunk when you need it. Some folks here have done that as well.

For me, driving for 30 years, I only needed that spare tire once and some cars, the spare tire is just added weight that I have not touched at all. So it depends on your priorities.
I’ll buy a full size wheel/tire and the complete spare kit. Would garage the full size. I'm a Get Home soon freak. I'd figure out how to secure the compact spare. Someday this will backfire...No spare is a serious problem. Especially at my age I cannot be stranded.

HEY>> Nice Cadmium

Last edited by Sounds; 06-14-23 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-14-23, 07:52 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Agree that the lack of a spare is a problem and has started a cottage industry of aftermarket suppliers such as Modern Spare. I would have been in deep you-know-what a few years ago in our first gen NX. We had a blow out on a remote gravel road at 10,000 feet near the Alabama Hills in the Eastern Sierra and changed my first flat in 30 years. Granted today's tires are much improved but the possibility still exists for problems which is why I carry the Modern Spare on roadtrips.
lsft (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 08:08 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 578 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
HEY>> Nice Cadmium
Thanks!!!!!
Old 06-14-23, 09:23 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Seek and you shall find. Just put $500 down on a White/Red 350Lux. Hopefully it comes in soon and all goes well. I got a lot of good positive encouragement from the members here. I feel good about the pending purchase. My 1st Lexus.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sounds:
Nightlight (06-15-23), redhot47fl (06-15-23)
Old 06-14-23, 10:43 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Everyone has different priorities when purchasing a vehicle. Right up top for me is dependability, looks and maintenance cost. Lexus is tied for first place in reliability by Consumer Reports with Toyota and Mercedes is last place. J D Power in dependability has Lexus #1 and Mercedes #27 out of 32. Lexus is the least expensive luxury ICE vehicle to maintain while Mercedes is 9th out of 13. Now IMO Lexus NX much better looking exterior than the GLA and even more in the interior. Mercedes highlighting the air vents on the dash is bizarre.
Old 06-14-23, 10:53 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Freds430
Everyone has different priorities when purchasing a vehicle. Right up top for me is dependability, looks and maintenance cost. Lexus is tied for first place in reliability by Consumer Reports with Toyota and Mercedes is last place. J D Power in dependability has Lexus #1 and Mercedes #27 out of 32. Lexus is the least expensive luxury ICE vehicle to maintain while Mercedes is 9th out of 13. Now IMO Lexus NX much better looking exterior than the GLA and even more in the interior. Mercedes highlighting the air vents on the dash is bizarre.
GLA35 is anything but a wow. The more I looked at it the more the more I looked toward the NX. The GLA45 looks like a fun driver … that’s about it.

Last edited by Sounds; 06-14-23 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-14-23, 08:12 PM
Sounds
Advanced

It’s early and not celebrating until everything is official but I was researching several dealerships and came up with nothing solid. A few 24’s came and went. I took a shot and called LEXUS of Allentown. Communication was outstanding..The reviews are excellent. They are in Pa and have some inventory. I live 1 hour away… they said they’ll delivery the NX if I want.
Don’t hesitate to contact them. They are eager to accommodate. I’m impressed and comfortable so far. My communication is with Kody. Will follow up.

Last edited by Sounds; 06-14-23 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-15-23, 12:38 AM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

If you need a second key. Tell the dealership you won’t purchase the vehicle without one. It’s that simple.

Dealerships will sell keys all day long. It may not be the exact style as the factory one. But it will work

Get a smart card. Or a old school valet

The dealership will not let a sale go by over a couple hundred dollar key. Especially now with NXs stacking up on the lot
Old 06-15-23, 04:00 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by GXWes
If you need a second key. Tell the dealership you won’t purchase the vehicle without one. It’s that simple.

Dealerships will sell keys all day long. It may not be the exact style as the factory one. But it will work

Get a smart card. Or a old school valet

The dealership will not let a sale go by over a couple hundred dollar key. Especially now with NXs stacking up on the lot
I made it clear about the 2 fobs. Is the smart card an option or does it come with the NX? Funny about the chip shortage bunk but a fob can be purchased. Would you believe I got a discount off the list without asking. So far this is a good transaction. I like Allentown Lexus.
Old 06-15-23, 09:20 AM
COVA2023
6th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Our 3 week old NX450h+ came with a key card (it was sitting in the glovebox-my dealer never mentioned it). It allows you to operate the vehicle in lieu of the traditional keyfob. I even found a nice leather sleeve for it on Amazon. Works great- doesn't add weight to your pockets! Regardless, Toyota/Lexus needs to figure this out...and fast.
Sounds (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 09:32 AM
GXWes
Pit Crew

I made it clear about the 2 fobs. Is the smart card an option or does it come with the NX? Funny about the chip shortage bunk but a fob can be purchased. Would you believe I got a discount off the list without asking. So far this is a good transaction. I like Allentown Lexus.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...l#post11494851
Old 06-15-23, 09:32 AM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by COVA2023
Our 3 week old NX450h+ came with a key card (it was sitting in the glovebox-my dealer never mentioned it). It allows you to operate the vehicle in lieu of the traditional keyfob. I even found a nice leather sleeve for it on Amazon. Works great- doesn't add weight to your pockets! Regardless, Toyota/Lexus needs to figure this out...and fast.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...l#post11494851
Old 06-15-23, 10:37 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I like Allentown Lexus.
Congrats on your new NX. I'm loving my NX Hybrid, over 40 mph!

You say you live in Pa but list your location as Florida. What's the story?

/

Quick Reply: Hunt goes on