NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Apple CarPlay issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-23, 08:41 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

I'm going to chime in and suggest that this is most likely a hardware issue, rather than bugs in the software, which is why a few are very frustrated while many aren't. I've worked in IT for close to 40 yrs and I've seen a lot, and I mean A LOT of devices come and go and nothing, absolutely nothing is more flaky in general than WiFi and BT radio hardware. Even after 20 yrs with this tech you would think its matured, but its still a significant challenge. I've battled so many PCs, headphones, keyboard, mice, etc of all kinds that just act terribly, update the software all day long and nothing helps. Replace with a new one exactly the same, works perfectly. My TV at home another example, built in BT, bought some BT headphones, would not work with TV but they worked fine with my phone. Replaced, now works 100% with TV. Seen this often with BT ear buds too. My phone works 100% with my Lexus, zero issues. My wife's phone, constantly connects and reconnects. She has the same issue between her phone and smartwatch. We also have a tablet, same issues with WiFi, drops out every 10 min for no reason. Its not that this hardware is 50% defective, its probably more like 0.5% (where I think other electronic components would more likely be 0.01% defective). Not a lot, but when you make thousands upon thousands of them, that's a lot of crap out there. Trouble with occasional flaky radios is, it is harder to detect with diagnostics so it ships much more frequently than a flakey CPU.
The following 2 users liked this post by Droid13:
LarryA707 (11-08-23), LStoneX (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 08:52 AM
Kenasch
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
I'm going to chime in and suggest that this is most likely a hardware issue, rather than bugs in the software, which is why a few are very frustrated while many aren't. I've worked in IT for close to 40 yrs and I've seen a lot, and I mean A LOT of devices come and go and nothing, absolutely nothing is more flaky in general than WiFi and BT radio hardware. Even after 20 yrs with this tech you would think its matured, but its still a significant challenge. I've battled so many PCs, headphones, keyboard, mice, etc of all kinds that just act terribly, update the software all day long and nothing helps. Replace with a new one exactly the same, works perfectly. My TV at home another example, built in BT, bought some BT headphones, would not work with TV but they worked fine with my phone. Replaced, now works 100% with TV. Seen this often with BT ear buds too. My phone works 100% with my Lexus, zero issues. My wife's phone, constantly connects and reconnects. She has the same issue between her phone and smartwatch. We also have a tablet, same issues with WiFi, drops out every 10 min for no reason. Its not that this hardware is 50% defective, its probably more like 0.5% (where I think other electronic components would more likely be 0.01% defective). Not a lot, but when you make thousands upon thousands of them, that's a lot of crap out there. Trouble with occasional flaky radios is, it is harder to detect with diagnostics so it ships much more frequently than a flakey CPU.
Thanks but I am a bit confused. Are you saying it is probably a Lexus hardware issue or is it the phone? Since it doesn't work with your wife's phone, does that mean her phone is the problem or is it with the Lexus hardware? Are you going to ask Lexus to change it or get a new phone?
Old 06-23-23, 09:02 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
Not when someone else is having the same issue. As several others are too, including my wife and I. We've resolved ourselves to accepting the multiple issues and the tech at our dealer scratching their *** and saying "Duhhhh, I don't know" and keeping the car. But we wished we hadn't bought it. Bluetooth to our phones is so bad that we've bought one of those things that clips to the visor. Also, I think I've read people with 2023's still having issues so that kind of negates the don't buy a first year release argument.
I’m not saying the issue doesn’t exist. I was only trying to highlight that this user may have a harder time getting help on different issues on a forum when their user name is already trashing the brand.
Old 06-23-23, 09:06 AM
nx350sucks
7th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I’m not saying the issue doesn’t exist. I was only trying to highlight that this user may have a harder time getting help on different issues on a forum when their user name is already trashing the brand.
My bad. This is my first car purchase ever. I stand by my name 10000000000000000%. I can't believe a new car would be this glitchy from the first couple of weeks. AND it is considered a "luxury" brand.
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 09:09 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenasch
Thanks but I am a bit confused. Are you saying it is probably a Lexus hardware issue or is it the phone? Since it doesn't work with your wife's phone, does that mean her phone is the problem or is it with the Lexus hardware? Are you going to ask Lexus to change it or get a new phone?
Could be either, and that's also again why these things are a PITA to diagnose. In my case specifically I think the Lexus hardware is fine (I've posted before I'm disappointed with some software design, but so far what it does do, seems to do it 99.5% of the time issue free), and my wife will be getting a new phone, but since she's a passenger 95% of the time, its not a big deal so far so she's in no rush. I've only ever had one significant issue with the Lexus system. One day the screen just went black (except for the climate control bar at the bottom, which is the same screen, so I knew it wasn't the screen itself). I rebooted the system, came back fine. Only happened once.
LStoneX (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 10:25 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I guess I’m lucky. CarPlay and the digital key work great for me.
Sounds (06-26-23)
Old 06-23-23, 10:27 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GXWes
Never buy a first year car. Especially one with a completely new infotainment system.

These problems will never be at 100 percent. There is just way too many variables to keep on top of. Hundreds of different models of cell phones. Constant updates with them.

Toyota / Lexus will always be behind the curve
I’m having no issues!
Sounds (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 10:30 AM
oregonkat
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by nx350sucks
My bad. This is my first car purchase ever. I stand by my name 10000000000000000%. I can't believe a new car would be this glitchy from the first couple of weeks. AND it is considered a "luxury" brand.
How old are you?
Old 06-23-23, 10:38 AM
nx350sucks
7th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oregonkat
How old are you?
Younger than 25
Old 06-23-23, 10:40 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by oregonkat
How old are you?
Shouldn't matter how old they are. It doesn't negate their opinion or others experiencing the same issues.

It happened to me today taking my car to get the tires changed out after 2,800 miles to REAL Tires!!! Couldn't get it to connect at all. Had to stop and restart the vehicle to get it to finally recognize the iPhone 14Pro.

I'm 69 years old. Does it really make a difference? I even tried my iPhone 1 on it and it wouldn't work.
Old 06-23-23, 10:42 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

My first LEXUS. Did not get it yet but I’m keeping it. More concerned with overall reliability and quality service than CarPlay. To the OP…you’re doing the right thing… not happy.. move on

Last edited by Sounds; 06-23-23 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-23-23, 10:44 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenasch
What is the "thing" you clipped to your visor and it did it help?
This is what we got. This is what we got.
Old 06-23-23, 12:07 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
My first LEXUS. Did not get it yet but I’m keeping it. More concerned with overall reliability and quality service than CarPlay. To the OP…you’re doing the right thing… not happy.. move on
Agree, but just a little. If I was looking for reliability and quality service I'd purchase the SAFEST vehicle on the roads today, SUBARU. Having said that, the only hybrid they offer is the Crosstrek. I've had one of those and loved it but it is the smallest crossover they make and not enough options to make it comfortable. I'm driving my 6th Lexus. I purchased the Lexus NX because of the past positive experience, with the brand. I WILL NOT buy another. I WILL shop around for a different manufacturer going forward.

Last edited by SgtLip; 06-23-23 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typos
Randyp1234 (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 12:13 PM
jgrnt1
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

2022 350h Luxury -- I occasionally have issues with wireless CarPlay not connecting at startup. As mentioned, this can usually be resolved by rebooting the system. I have not had it disconnect once it's connected.

I travel frequently and often rent cars. For convenience, I look for wireless CarPlay. I've had connection issues in cars from several brands. I've also had disconnection issues in many cars. From what I've seen, the disconnections were related to the iPhone overheating. It appears that CarPlay, between processing and WiFi, heats the iPhone up a lot. I have not had this issue with my NX. It could be because I have one of the lower AC vents blowing on it. It could also be that I now have an iPhone 13 Pro Max. My last iPhone was a XS Max. Maybe CarPlay is less taxing on the newer phone.

Last edited by jgrnt1; 06-23-23 at 12:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgrnt1:
LarryA707 (11-08-23), SgtLip (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 01:34 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtLip
Agree, but just a little. If I was looking for reliability and quality service I'd purchase the SAFEST vehicle on the roads today, SUBARU. Having said that, the only hybrid they offer is the Crosstrek. I've had one of those and loved it but it is the smallest crossover they make and not enough options to make it comfortable. I'm driving my 6th Lexus. I purchased the Lexus NX because of the past positive experience, with the brand. I WILL NOT buy another. I WILL shop around for a different manufacturer going forward.
Bingo on the Crosstrek. Feel the same way. Did not get the NX yet and it’s on probation. We have a GV703.5…. Same deal. It goes if any reliability issues or service is substandard. The NX will be my wife’s. She likes it. Seemed like the best pick of our choices and it was available. Will follow up.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay issues