NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Apple CarPlay issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-23, 02:10 PM
NSXT
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrnt1
It appears that CarPlay, between processing and WiFi, heats the iPhone up a lot.
I do find Wireless Android Auto heats up my Pixel 6 a lot so not just Carplay. Sometimes I'd prefer wired. I might try to put the phone near the AC vent
Old 06-23-23, 04:00 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by NSXT
I do find Wireless Android Auto heats up my Pixel 6 a lot so not just Carplay. Sometimes I'd prefer wired. I might try to put the phone near the AC vent
I think those Proclip USA mounts put them right over the vent.
Old 06-23-23, 04:10 PM
Thuwaragan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2022 NX450h+
YMMV, but what I've found for my vehicle is that if I'm in a rush to get out the door (aka, start and instantly move the shifter to drive off), then CarPlay doesn't connect ~25% of the time or it will connect a little later on (or I reboot the car at a red light). But If I wait until the center (info) screen says "Welcome MyName" in the top right, then it's got a 99.99% success rate in connecting.

I've never had issues with the Key not loading my profile. The only time it trips up is when both me and my wife are in the car with both key fobs. It seems like loads the profile of the first key it detected (so I'm usually racing to get to the car before her ). But it swaps profile on command so not an issue really.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thuwaragan:
LStoneX (06-23-23), SgtLip (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 04:47 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Thuwaragan
I've never had issues with the Key not loading my profile. The only time it trips up is when both me and my wife are in the car with both key fobs. It seems like loads the profile of the first key it detected (so I'm usually racing to get to the car before her ). But it swaps profile on command so not an issue really.
For some reason ours does it a lot. I haven't studied it very much for very long. But I'm going to start watching and not starting until it loads. You said you swap profiles. Where do you go or what do you do to get it to swap? I'm typically in the drivers seat with my knees up around my ears and can't get it to me. So I'm curious how you swap it that easy, I wanna try that. Thanks.

Old 06-23-23, 09:48 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtLip
For some reason ours does it a lot. I haven't studied it very much for very long. But I'm going to start watching and not starting until it loads. You said you swap profiles. Where do you go or what do you do to get it to swap? I'm typically in the drivers seat with my knees up around my ears and can't get it to me. So I'm curious how you swap it that easy, I wanna try that. Thanks.
Just go into settings on the infotainment system, then profiles and choose the profile you wanna select.

I assume also, that perhaps, you can switch profiles with "Hey Lexus"
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (06-24-23)
Old 06-24-23, 07:23 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by LStoneX
Just go into settings on the infotainment system, then profiles and choose the profile you wanna select.
Totally safe to do when driving, right? Maybe this profile thing is the real reason they're only giving you one fob with the car.
SgtLip (06-24-23)
Old 06-24-23, 08:04 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
Totally safe to do when driving, right? Maybe this profile thing is the real reason they're only giving you one fob with the car.
So you think that if Lexus was issuing 2 fobs to owners that we would likely be hearing about this issue a lot lot more?
Old 06-24-23, 09:22 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Not sure. I have one fob and one key card. I use the fob and wife uses the key card. So the problem exists regardless if there are 2 fobs or combination of them.

I have had 5 Lexus ES's and the system was great. Why or how this new infotainment system is supposed to be so great, I'm stumped. I truly don't feel it was something that was broke that needed fixing.

Old 06-24-23, 09:41 AM
Smooth2o
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2023 450h+ and it works fine 97% of the time. The 3% it doesn't connect. I've learned now to either not pull out of the garage until it loads. If not at home, I just power off and restart and it usually works.

My biggest complaint is the car doesn't know who the driver is. I'll get in and it says hello Lynda. Hello, my name isn't Lynda. But then if CarPlay connects, it's my wife's settings and not mine. None of the seat settings are right, the Apple iPhone is the wrong one, the Navigation doesn't have the favorites to display. This whole new Infotainment System and settings is the worst I've ever seen. Although I despised the mouse tracker in the older Lexus models, at least the system worked. NO Lexus dealer had one for me to demo or did I ever read anything about this system until I owned it. I probably would not have purchased the car had I known. And they seem to be reluctant to fix anything.

Just my opinion.
You need to link your fob.
Old 06-24-23, 10:07 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by Smooth2o
You need to link your fob.
My key fob IS linked. It works 95% of the time as it's supposed to. I truly feel its a system flaw with their first to the car is the driver thought process.

I drive 95% of the time. Not only drive but I'm in charge of locking the house up. So that means I'm the last one to arrive at the car. In addition we park inside the garage. A lot of times the wife forgets to lock the car even though it's inside the garage. We discovered if the car is left unlocked, the dang thing thinks it's the same driver who drove it last regardless of whose key is there. In addition to the above, we've learned that owning this car that chivalry is dead. I always open and close the door for my wife. We've discovered that by doing this, she is the first in the car with her key card. The car thinks she's the driver while I walk around to get in the car. By the time I get there and start the car, it shows Hello with my wife's name. So now I don't go open the door for her. I'm going to check this Settings/Profile swap that someone suggested above.

Old 06-24-23, 02:19 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Why or how this new infotainment system is supposed to be so great, I'm stumped. I truly don't feel it was something that was broke that needed fixing.
I agree completely!
Old 06-24-23, 02:23 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
So you think that if Lexus was issuing 2 fobs to owners that we would likely be hearing about this issue a lot lot more?
I had forgotten about that keycard and digital key thing when I said this. I know I'll show that I'm an old boomer (although on the young side of the boomer bracket) when I say this, but I just don't see what the big deal is to slip a fob in your pocket or purse.

But yes - if you only had one fob, and just the one fob, the car can't get confused with profiles because there'd only be one - right?
SgtLip (06-24-23)
Old 06-25-23, 07:41 AM
Thuwaragan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You can't change profiles while you're driving (verified it last night). You need to be in Park
LStoneX (06-26-23)
Old 06-25-23, 07:45 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by Thuwaragan
You can't change profiles while you're driving (verified it last night). You need to be in Park
That was said sarcastically, but at least they did *something* right.
Old 06-26-23, 09:18 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 154 Posts

That was said sarcastically, but at least they did *something* right.
I figured you were being sarcastic😁😜

Anyway, I think like @Droid13 said, it might be anything or nothing. Issues like this are hard to really diagnose. Especially when several people with the same vehicle have differing experiences.

Could you have a car that has wonky hardware? Very possible.

Does my car act up, sometimes it does, but that's with the car play. Every other thing works pretty seamlessly. Other than the wireless charger which I pretend doesn't even exist in the car anyway as it only charges my iPhone 10% of the time.

Ami going to junk the car because of that? Not at all. For its primary functions of looking nice, being reliable, getting me from point A to point B, and being frugal on gas, it does all those things excellently. Maybe it's just the way I see vehicles in general. Anything over the basic functions is good.

Like someone above said, you'd be surprised to see how many other manufacturers have issues with their cars too, particularly the infotainment. I read a lot online about issues with infotainment, either Mercedes, BMW, Audi, they're all the same. Kia/Hyundai is the King of gimmicky IMHO.

It's all a matter of pick your poison; I've chosen Lexus.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay issues