NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Apple CarPlay issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-23, 12:58 PM
LexusQ
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by nx350sucks
Newly purchased 2023 NX350h. Wince day one, its been having issues with apple carplay (randomly disconnects, sound glitches, sometimes doesn't even connect at all). Went to the dealership and they said multiple people have reported the same issue, no solution currently. What are your experiences with your NX?
I have the same issue with CarPlay. Intermittent connectivity. I updated my phone software and that reduced the number of times it doesn’t connect. It usually connects after a reset, but this should not be an issue with a vehicle of this caliber. I work at the plant and have complained about this issue. I am waiting to see the president of TMMC on the floor to ask him why this isn’t being addressed as it is happening with most of the vehicles produced. I would think the issue would be a simple software update. That, unfortunately, is not a Lexus strong point.
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (06-28-23)
Old 06-26-23, 02:27 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts

My wife would be happy to just be able to make a plain old Bluetooth, non Android Auto, phone call.
Sounds (06-26-23)
Old 06-28-23, 05:07 AM
buhdeh
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't had any issues with CarPlay ever since I set ACC Customize to OFF

Last edited by buhdeh; 06-28-23 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-28-23, 05:34 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by buhdeh
I haven't had any issues with CarPlay ever since I set ACC Customize to OFF
@buhdeh Okay, where is that located? I assume the car side. Is it somewhere in the Center Screen Settings?
Thanks for this tip. I'm open to trying it.

Old 06-28-23, 05:50 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Loose ends work out somehow. I had a 4.5 hour trip last weekend with our 2019 X3. Could not get CarPlay to open up. I prefer the Google Maps or whatever CarPlay offers to navigate as opposed to the factory Nav. Anyway I got home and fiddled a little and got the CarPlay back.
A different car....could not get CarPlay to open with my phone or my wife's phone. Problem was a bad cable.
My point... chit happens and unhappens. Lexus CP will get figured out,
I like it for the Maps, music. The reality is CarPlay a dangerous distraction, My favorite feature on the NX (or any car) is the verbal command function. To be able to make a call or get directions verbally. Funny.... one time I say Make Call.... It replies Coffee.... Starbucks and Dunkin show up.

Last edited by Sounds; 06-28-23 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-28-23, 05:55 AM
buhdeh
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtLip
@buhdeh Okay, where is that located? I assume the car side. Is it somewhere in the Center Screen Settings?
Thanks for this tip. I'm open to trying it.
I made a thread about this when I first got my car. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't recall exactly where the setting is but it should be in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...f-control.html

I actually made a mistake, now that I re-read the thread, I set it to ON and it seemed to fix everything for me.

Other things I have done:

- Phone linked to Lexus profile
- Key fob linked to Lexus profile

After I did all of this, I pretty much never have any issues with CarPlay. Maybe like one in 30-40 attempts, it won't connect but it is so rare that I can't even remember the last time that my phone didn't automatically (wirelessly) connect to CarPlay.

You can also check to see if you have any OTA updates on your system outstanding. There should be a software update section somewhere in the menus as well.

Last edited by buhdeh; 06-28-23 at 05:59 AM.
SgtLip (06-28-23)
Old 06-28-23, 06:23 AM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Not sure. I have one fob and one key card. I use the fob and wife uses the key card. So the problem exists regardless if there are 2 fobs or combination of them.

I have had 5 Lexus ES's and the system was great. Why or how this new infotainment system is supposed to be so great, I'm stumped. I truly don't feel it was something that was broke that needed fixing.
I went from a 2016 RX to a 2019 GX. And the mouse on the RX was the worst thing about the car. And on my loaners I used the touch pad interface. Which was worse

On my 2019 GX, it still has the decade old small touch screen navigation screen. Just like my 2012 ISF did. It’s perfect for me. I’m going to miss it when I get an NX next year
Old 07-01-23, 01:15 PM
Skedadle
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2023 450h+ and it works fine 97% of the time. The 3% it doesn't connect. I've learned now to either not pull out of the garage until it loads. If not at home, I just power off and restart and it usually works.
Just my opinion.
Are you using wired or wireless Carplay connections?

We've occasionally had issues on startup but never an issue after the initial connection. Two cars, two phones.
SgtLip (07-01-23)
Old 07-01-23, 02:01 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skedadle
Are you using wired or wireless Carplay connections?

We've occasionally had issues on startup but never an issue after the initial connection. Two cars, two phones.
@Skedadle We use CarPlay, no wires. I don't like the wires and that is why we never used it in any of the other cars.

I use the Fob and wife has the Key Card. We both have iPhone 14 Pro's. Both keys and phones are tied to Profiles.

Old 07-01-23, 02:04 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by buhdeh
I made a thread about this when I first got my car. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't recall exactly where the setting is but it should be in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...f-control.html

I actually made a mistake, now that I re-read the thread, I set it to ON and it seemed to fix everything for me.

Other things I have done:

- Phone linked to Lexus profile
- Key fob linked to Lexus profile

After I did all of this, I pretty much never have any issues with CarPlay. Maybe like one in 30-40 attempts, it won't connect but it is so rare that I can't even remember the last time that my phone didn't automatically (wirelessly) connect to CarPlay.

You can also check to see if you have any OTA updates on your system outstanding. There should be a software update section somewhere in the menus as well.
@buhdeh Somehow while looking for something else, I stumbled onto the ACC. I turned it to On. That was last night and we haven't used the car since parking it yesterday. So I'm not sure if it worked.

I still am clueless what the ACC switch is or is for. But I turned it On!

Old 07-04-23, 11:11 AM
beach109
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

One huge suggestion I would make...as I get to try, drive, and rent cars of all brands weekly, and currently have an LX600 with this same "new" infotainment system.

Wireless CarPlay is a glitchy mess in 95% of new cars, and why wired connection you'll hear even reviewers commenting about prefering. I let the dealer wireless pair my phone to the LX on day one, but by day 2, was having constant audio lagging issues, silence issues, etc. I'm used to this, when wireless is the case. Solution:

1. Delete all connections from the screen
2. Delete the Lexus from my phones
3. Plug in with a USB cord, and as wired CarPlay starts to load, select "Use Wired Connection only" so it doesn't auto try to redo the wireless link

Solution? Fully. Perfection. It's 100% flawless, charges easily, and doesn't overheat or overload the phone. Everyone seems to think wireless CarPlay is a must have, but I've never had a single car where it worked properly without pauses, audio glitches, etc. and that's by design. My BMW was the best, but it too would randomly lose connection once in a while, and was never as quick or instant as a wired connection.

Delete all your connections. Plug in. Reset. Use Wired CarPlay. You'll see...massively different, and back to normal. Don't think it's a Lexus issue, it's not. Recently in a Jeep I owned, a Ford rental, multiple Hondas, a Hyundai...etc. with Wireless CarPlay, all had the same glitches. Wired fixed all.
The following 3 users liked this post by beach109:
jmaclennan (07-04-23), LarryA707 (11-08-23), Xanadu350 (07-04-23)
Old 07-05-23, 04:01 AM
Ive350h
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CarPlay and phone vpn

Originally Posted by nx350sucks
Newly purchased 2023 NX350h. Wince day one, its been having issues with apple carplay (randomly disconnects, sound glitches, sometimes doesn't even connect at all). Went to the dealership and they said multiple people have reported the same issue, no solution currently. What are your experiences with your NX?
if ur phone has a vpn try turning it off
I did and now have no issues with apple carplay
Old 07-05-23, 04:37 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Have a 2023 NX 350h and had it for 6 months. My newer Samsung phone had no problems connecting with Android Auto. My wife had an older S9 model. It connected about 50% of the time. We got her a new S22 Samsung and haven't had one problem since.
Old 07-05-23, 08:16 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

As I've stated before I have NEVER used Apple CarPlay in any car I have ever owned. With the NX being the first time with wireless CarPlay I thought I'd use it some to get used to it. I'll most likely transition to it when the navigation subscription ends.

Anyway, I like others have had a lot of issues with it not connecting at start-up. The only way I ever got it to work was to turn the car off and back on. Someone suggested hitting and holding the power button to reboot the infotainment system. So I tried that today and I'm here to report "IT WORKED". Thanks to whoever it was that suggested that.

I do have a question to some of you die hard CarPlay users. When using CarPlay for Navigation I can't seem to get the voice commands to work. So unless I watch the screen while driving I miss my turns. Is there a way or a setting on the iPhone 14 Pro or the car that I need to make or does CarPlay just not have a voice?

Appreciate the help.

Old 07-05-23, 09:02 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Also with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay with connectivity issues it helps sometimes to go into your Bluetooth setting and clear your cache.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay issues