NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Apple CarPlay issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23, 03:59 PM
jgrnt1
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtLip
As I've stated before I have NEVER used Apple CarPlay in any car I have ever owned. With the NX being the first time with wireless CarPlay I thought I'd use it some to get used to it. I'll most likely transition to it when the navigation subscription ends.

Anyway, I like others have had a lot of issues with it not connecting at start-up. The only way I ever got it to work was to turn the car off and back on. Someone suggested hitting and holding the power button to reboot the infotainment system. So I tried that today and I'm here to report "IT WORKED". Thanks to whoever it was that suggested that.

I do have a question to some of you die hard CarPlay users. When using CarPlay for Navigation I can't seem to get the voice commands to work. So unless I watch the screen while driving I miss my turns. Is there a way or a setting on the iPhone 14 Pro or the car that I need to make or does CarPlay just not have a voice?

Appreciate the help.
Check the on-screen volume control. When you've already started a route in Apple Maps, tap the screen and you should see a volume control in the upper right corner.

The only other thing I can think to check is to set the volume with the car's volume controls. This is separate from the radio volume, or whatever music you have playing. When you know Apple Maps should be speaking to you, increase the volume with the car's volume **** or steering wheel button. You have to catch it just right. If your background music volume increases, then you didn't catch CarPlay when it was speaking to you. It's a bit frustrating, but that's the way Apple Maps seems to work with CarPlay.

Last edited by jgrnt1; 07-05-23 at 04:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgrnt1:
DaveDude (07-05-23), SgtLip (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 04:02 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

@jgrnt1 Thanks, I'll try it now and great if it works. If not, I'll try it when I put an address in tomorrow.

I appreciate the help.

Old 07-05-23, 04:14 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by jgrnt1
Check the on-screen volume control. When you've already started a route in Apple Maps, tap the screen and you should see a volume control in the upper right corner.

The only other thing I can think to check is to set the volume with the car's volume controls. This is separate from the radio volume, or whatever music you have playing. When you know Apple Maps should be speaking to you, increase the volume with the car's volume **** or steering wheel button. You have to catch it just right. If your background music volume increases, then you didn't catch CarPlay when it was speaking to you. It's a bit frustrating, but that's the way Apple Maps seems to work with CarPlay.

PERFECT, that worked.I input an address and saw on the top right of the screen that I had 3 speaker icon's. My speaker icon had a line through it. So I touched the regular speaker icon and was able to turn the car's volume control up and had sound.

AWESOME. @jgrnt1
The following users liked this post:
jgrnt1 (07-06-23)
Old 07-05-23, 04:51 PM
Farmerbone
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my 2022 NX 350 F Sport for about a year. I do not have the 14" display or wireless charging. My CarPlay connects without issues about 90% of the time. The biggest issue I've had is everyone I talk to on the phone says they have an echo where they hear everything they say when they talk to me. I have an Iphone 11. I thought if I plugged it in to circumvent the wireless maybe that would help but does not. If I change my phone profile to only use as a phone over bluetooth (disabling the CarPlay) the issue goes away so it is definitely an issue with CarPlay. However, one of the reasons I purchased my NX was to upgrade the tech and fun to drive aspect that my 2016 ES350 didn't have. I like having access to my phone on the screen. We have a 2021 4Runner that has wired CarPlay (no wireless capability) and it works perfectly.....that's all I want from my NX at this point. As another poster mentioned, the Tech shortcomings are keeping me from loving my purchase.
SgtLip (07-05-23)
Old 07-06-23, 05:49 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Farmerbone
I've had my 2022 NX 350 F Sport for about a year. I do not have the 14" display or wireless charging. My CarPlay connects without issues about 90% of the time. The biggest issue I've had is everyone I talk to on the phone says they have an echo where they hear everything they say when they talk to me. I have an Iphone 11. I thought if I plugged it in to circumvent the wireless maybe that would help but does not. If I change my phone profile to only use as a phone over bluetooth (disabling the CarPlay) the issue goes away so it is definitely an issue with CarPlay. However, one of the reasons I purchased my NX was to upgrade the tech and fun to drive aspect that my 2016 ES350 didn't have. I like having access to my phone on the screen. We have a 2021 4Runner that has wired CarPlay (no wireless capability) and it works perfectly.....that's all I want from my NX at this point. As another poster mentioned, the Tech shortcomings are keeping me from loving my purchase.
We have the same echo but use our Android phones only via traditional Bluetooth not Android Auto. A new phone for my wife didn't help. The tech at the dealer can recreate it with his own phone but they've never been able to fix it. We finally gave up and got one of those Bluetooth speakerphones that clip to the visor.
Farmerbone (07-06-23)
Old 07-06-23, 08:27 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

Echo is sometimes caused by a delay in the BT connection. Normally sounds emitted by the speaker and picked up immediately by the mic are filtered, but a processing or actual audio delay can make the sounds picked up to be considered local and thus not filtered. Even plugging in the phone, hands free voice calls are still typically carried by BT (although with wireless Carplay and AA there is also a secondary WiFi connection carrying additional data as BT doesn't have enough bandwidth)

Often the best solution is to ensure the cabin is as quiet as possible. Turn down the incoming call volume, close all windows, reduce HVAC fan speeds. The manual also suggests turning off WiFi/Hotspot functionality. But it also says some phones are just going to be trouble. Some devices just don't like each other, PITA! Seems the newer higher end phones typically work better. Makes sense since they tend to have faster processors and can keep up with the demand imposed by all the modern features running on the latest mobile OSs.
Old 07-06-23, 09:32 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
Echo is sometimes caused by a delay in the BT connection. Normally sounds emitted by the speaker and picked up immediately by the mic are filtered, but a processing or actual audio delay can make the sounds picked up to be considered local and thus not filtered. Even plugging in the phone, hands free voice calls are still typically carried by BT (although with wireless Carplay and AA there is also a secondary WiFi connection carrying additional data as BT doesn't have enough bandwidth)

Often the best solution is to ensure the cabin is as quiet as possible. Turn down the incoming call volume, close all windows, reduce HVAC fan speeds. The manual also suggests turning off WiFi/Hotspot functionality. But it also says some phones are just going to be trouble. Some devices just don't like each other, PITA! Seems the newer higher end phones typically work better. Makes sense since they tend to have faster processors and can keep up with the demand imposed by all the modern features running on the latest mobile OSs.
This sounds like the blame is with the phone. But in our case when we switched to the visor mount speaker the echo went away. Shame to have a pretty expensive car and have to use a $50 thing from Amazon to make calls that can be understood.
Old 07-06-23, 10:24 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
This sounds like the blame is with the phone. But in our case when we switched to the visor mount speaker the echo went away. Shame to have a pretty expensive car and have to use a $50 thing from Amazon to make calls that can be understood.
I never specifically blamed the phone, only providing insight into potentially what's going on and also what Lexus manual says for ideas. I think the key takeaway is, some devices just don't like each other for any number of reasons. Blame one, the other, or both in combination. I didn't mention earlier, but there are a lot of major and minor versions of BT out there and while there is supposed to be a fallback to common compatibility but so many devices, so many implementations, sometimes these things have difficulty overcoming. Maybe your cheap BT speaker is using a different BT version that simply works better with your phone. Or maybe your BT radio in your car is flakey.
Old 10-10-23, 03:31 PM
outermagnolian
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: A second dealer's service department took my report and video evidence seriously. At the same time, Lexus Brand Engagement responded to my outreach and logged the problem for continued followup. After a great deal of testing, they concluded that the "head unit" hardware was not working and they have shipped a brand new (reportedly $15,000 retail price) unit to the dealer for installation. I expect the warranty service to be finished in a few days when the shipment arrives at the dealer.

My summary:
1) A single dealer does not represent the brand as a whole (though they should.)
2) Lexus Brand Engagement will get involved and will follow up, if you can navigate to somewhere online to connect with them.
3) Don't give up. Record the intermittent problem to document your case. Keep pushing even if, as in my case, it takes many months to get the attention you deserve.

Originally Posted by nx350sucks
Newly purchased 2023 NX350h. Wince day one, it’been having issues with apple carplay (randomly disconnects, sound glitches, sometimes doesn't even connect at all). Went to the dealership and they said multiple people have reported the same issue, no solution currently. What are your experiences with your NX?
My 2023 RX350h has countless issues with CarPlay.

Car often won’t connect to phone via Bluetooth.

While connected it will sometimes disconnect and reconnect many times in a single drive.

Car forgets my phone and I have to delete it, reconnect as a new device, and eventually repeat.

While cycling through connecting, disconnecting, later-rinse-repeat, the entire dash rebooted from the swirling Lexus logo you see when first starting. While on the highway.

CarPlay starts with a huge map and no other icons. Requires several minutes before it replies to any touch at all, if it ever does. Sometimes I have to stop and restart the car to get it connected. I’ll even get voice directions from an existing route on my phone but can’t operate the touchscreen at all. No radio or anything.

Dealer insisted they had to witness it. So when it acted up, I drove there to show them. They gave me their top tech guy who gave me his card and personal contact info. He watched the car set up my phone and forget it on the spot. Saw that it claimed a weak Bluetooth signal on the iPhone app despite my having a meter showing excellent RSSI numbers.

He said there was a software update pending and something else that might require the dealer to do directly. The next day I wrote him asking to confirm all of this and he did not reply. I wrote six times over two months, even telling him he’d left another car’s key in my vehicle (he did) and offering to return it. No reply ever. It’s now been over two months.

I’m out of options. Looking to sell despite the great ride, superb mileage, quiet cabin and presumably Lexus-like mechanical reliability. This stuff is just too much, and the service from a huge dealership has been dreadful.

Last edited by outermagnolian; 11-15-23 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Problem identified and resolved
Old 11-15-23, 01:38 PM
NX350NAV
1st Gear

Unhappy Navigation doesn't work

My problem is the worst, the NAV in the apple CarPlay is useless. No matter which app I use, Waze, Maps, Google Maps, it goes crazy. If I'm in one street in the system appears that the car is in another place. If I select a route, it goes crazy recalculating it all the time.
It has been a big nuisance, I ended up disconnecting my iPhone to be able to use the navigation apps, which totally demerits the experience of driving the car.
But the worst is the bad attitude from the dealership people, they are always blaming it on us, asking if we know how to use an iPhone or the CarPlay. It doesn't matter to them how many times I΄ve told them that we use our iPhones and the CarPlay in our other cars without any issues.
It's been a year, and I am really frustrated with the car, with no other option than sell it as soon as possible.
Old 11-15-23, 02:02 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NX350NAV
My problem is the worst, the NAV in the apple CarPlay is useless. No matter which app I use, Waze, Maps, Google Maps, it goes crazy. If I'm in one street in the system appears that the car is in another place. If I select a route, it goes crazy recalculating it all the time.
It has been a big nuisance, I ended up disconnecting my iPhone to be able to use the navigation apps, which totally demerits the experience of driving the car.
But the worst is the bad attitude from the dealership people, they are always blaming it on us, asking if we know how to use an iPhone or the CarPlay. It doesn't matter to them how many times I΄ve told them that we use our iPhones and the CarPlay in our other cars without any issues.
It's been a year, and I am really frustrated with the car, with no other option than sell it as soon as possible.
This is somewhat unusual, I've used Carplay everywhere, domestic makes, rentals etc. I even installed an aftermarket unit in my 1st Gen NX - had its quirks but I knew how to fix em. In my '22 350h, I've experienced multiple disconnects on one ride, but otherwise things seem copacetic. This morning, I did notice that it appeared in the wrong location, then found that Google Maps was in the middle of an update so I switched to Waze, now back to normal. Have you called Corporate and told them the local dealership is unable to help? I have had good results doing that.

Old 11-15-23, 02:24 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by jsmith
This is somewhat unusual, I've used Carplay everywhere, domestic makes, rentals etc. I even installed an aftermarket unit in my 1st Gen NX - had its quirks but I knew how to fix em. In my '22 350h, I've experienced multiple disconnects on one ride, but otherwise things seem copacetic. This morning, I did notice that it appeared in the wrong location, then found that Google Maps was in the middle of an update so I switched to Waze, now back to normal. Have you called Corporate and told them the local dealership is unable to help? I have had good results doing that.
I'm with you even though I haven't ever called them.

Having said that, we shouldn't have to call the Corporate Office to get help. We purchased our cars from a dealer, NOT the corporate office. My salesman asked me to write down my complaints and problems. He was going to try to buy the car back and get me into something else just to keep me as a customer since this is my 6th Lexus. I typically purchase a new car every 1-2 years but this was supposed to be my last car. Not so sure anymore.

Anyway, every time I discuss an issue with my dealer I get the response "we have no idea, no one here knows anything about the car." I have the 23 NX450H+ so that could be the issue with me. My dealer has only sold 3 of them since they came out. Florida isn't a state you can regularly buy this model. All of the service reps are clueless. The single sales guy that does know something about the car is clueless as to why the car doesn't recognize whose key is starting the car and adjust the seats accordingly. I asked about CarPlay not connecting at start-up and none of them know anything about that or CarPlay. So I just hit the button to restart the Infotainment System like someone on this forum suggested. That is the only thing that works for me when it doesn't connect, which is most of the time.

Considering what to do with my car as like others, I'm not all that impressed with this model and the changes Lexus made to the Infotainment system. But I don't know what else to buy at this point. So I continue to drive it.

Old 11-15-23, 02:39 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

They can't keep the hybrids on the lot here in California. The NX is their best seller to date. I don't understand why your dealership is behaving that way, very unLexuslike. Well, good luck, whichever way you go. This car may be our last non-BEV car. I hope the new batteries will be out in a few years and EV will be a whole new ballgame.
The following 2 users liked this post by jsmith:
SgtLip (11-15-23), TimRonak (05-01-24)
Old 05-01-24, 02:25 AM
TimRonak
7th Gear

Default Lexus NX on track to be the most infuriating vehicle ever

Originally Posted by nx350sucks
Newly purchased 2023 NX350h. Wince day one, its been having issues with apple carplay (randomly disconnects, sound glitches, sometimes doesn't even connect at all). Went to the dealership and they said multiple people have reported the same issue, no solution currently. What are your experiences with your NX?
Originally Posted by LexusQ
I have the same issue with CarPlay. Intermittent connectivity. I updated my phone software and that reduced the number of times it doesn’t connect. It usually connects after a reset, but this should not be an issue with a vehicle of this caliber. I work at the plant and have complained about this issue. I am waiting to see the president of TMMC on the floor to ask him why this isn’t being addressed as it is happening with most of the vehicles produced. I would think the issue would be a simple software update. That, unfortunately, is not a Lexus strong point.
I purchased my 2024 NX 350 in December of 2023 and 2 weeks later drove it for the first time in January of 2024 and with 361 miles determined CarPlay does not work correctly. My car currently has 6300 miles and I use my car for a traveling sales based position and heavily use CarPlay for the last 5-7 years in my last 3 Vehicles along with MANY MANY rentals throughout the year. I also work in the Auto industry as well and am somewhat educated regarding vehicle technology.

My vehicle infotainment system experiences the same intermittent music pause, random black screens as well … but the largest problem for me is the lack of music ‘muting’ when Siri is selected or engaged to utter things like directions or read back texts. What’s really also frustrating is when Siri is shouting over the music now you cannot turn down the music as the infotainment system now is selected to adjust Siri volume as Siri is activated through CarPlay. The reason for this is ONLY the left front speaker mutes in the vehicle when using Siri and that is not sufficient.

It is VERY important to note that music mutes just fine if you say “Hey Lexus” and the “Enform” audio is clearly heard and understood, so the system is capable of muting audio, it just seems Toyota/Lexus figured we would not notice and Siri does not mute all of the speakers.

I submitted a buy back request to Lexus due to this specific issue and as of April 29th I was just denied an initial Lemon Law buy back due to this defect by Lexus Customer Services which i am pursuing through the California Lemon law process so now my public quest to FIX it begins if I am stuck with the vehicle.
I can also appeal this decision (just found an attorney) and I am strongly considering that but since my wife also owns a 2023 Lexus UX there could be a dual win for me. (Ironically she had NO IDEA it did not work correctly as she has never had CarPlay before in a vehicle and I suspect that is the case for MOST Toyota Lexus purchasers who loved their car and want to upgrade and obtain the features of CarPlay)

SOME BACKGROUND Info regarding Lexus:
I was informed that my 2024 Lexus NX contains the most current 2021 infotainment software update. Yes that is correct, a 2021 update in my 2024 Lexus! So what I learned is that ALL Toyota and Lexus since 2021 have the same defective CarPlay software integration.

What’s most egregious is that this has been a known defect since 2021 and no one has held Lexus or Toyota accountable for this faulty product. Nor have they bothered to inform the public that they only have 85% of CarPlay functioning. If you doubt it simply google Lexus or Toyota CarPlay problems and see for yourself … I have two friends with 2023 Highlanders who are pissed at the moment.

It is amazing to me that a company as presitigious as ‘Toyota’ that secured over 2300 new patents in 2023 and spent $1 MILLION PER HOUR on R&D chooses to leave their loyal and typically supportive customers high and dry. THIS IS AN UPDATE CORRECTABLE ISSUE THAT THEY HAVE CHOOSEN TO IGNORE FOR 4 MODEL YEARS IN ALL MODELS OF TOYOTA AND LEXUS!

The crazy thing is that the LC 500, RX, and every other Lexus model has the same infotainment system and sucks just as bad.

It was one thing to pursue getting myself out of this very frustrating piece of junk, but if they are not willing to do the right thing I will need to become very vocal and hopefully correct this for everyone by becoming that poster child class action person for consumer fraud by Toyota Lexus. The point that a plant worker knows this and it is not addressed is shameful and something we should all be compensated for.

As an aside since I am on a role complaining about technology failures and defects there is other technology that is a big miss on the NX as well …

1 wireless phone ‘charger’ does not actually charge a phone … I can leave it laying on the tray from LA to Phoenix for 5 hours straight and it will actually drop 2 % and not actually charge despite the charge indicator on screen showing the charging lightening bolt. I found a source online where you can buy a retrofit 15w charger tray you can install. Lexus throwing old school cables to charge your phone in the back of the truck is simply a fraudulent way of escaping the fact that the technology is poorly designed and conceived … ironically I rejected a Volvo because they did not have wireless charging.

2 Seat memory and exit slide back work randomly and I was told I am too tall and with it back where I am comfortable the seat randomly decides that the extra 1/2”-1” slide back is not needed by me.

3 Rear auto lock gate close button will only operate and actually close and then lock the vehicle 15% of the time as it is far too random so at airport I hit button and start to walk away and virtually every time I have to turn around and come back to lock it.

4 Drivers windshield wiper is poorly engineered and remains in your face 3”-4” from the edge of the glass on the drivers side in inclement weather doubling the size of the ‘A’ pillar blind spot when wipers are needed. I rotated mine two splines and it currently sits at the very top of the heating element in the glass but it is not far enough and it needs even more adjustment. Very poorly engineered as the wiper needs to sweep another 2 inches further than the factory engineered setting. Otherwise the unwired area along with the 4” pillar create a 8” wide poor or no visibility issue.

The really sad part is that this vehicle DRIVES way better than my 2023 Cadillac XT4 Sport … truly superior in every way especially the adaptive cruise and Lane Keep technology, BUT in the Cadillac all of the features worked as designed and mine had every factory option (CarPlay functioned as designed and the wireless charge also actually charged the phone) and was equipped a little better than the Lexus despite the NX being fully optioned. My opinion is that Toyota is too busy pandering to the current government administration regarding zero emissions with tax incentives and forgot that consumers actually still buy and drive these cars.

I am going at them one more time to do the right thing and update the software for ALL of us, but if not I will trade the vehicle and abandon the brand permanently after seeking legal recourse and compensation.
Old 05-01-24, 05:32 PM
King2024
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah - so far the thing I like most is the ACC and Lane Keep. As to the infotainment system - I live with it. Glad you are fighting for us. I hope they have some update OTA soon!

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay issues